The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Media Obviously Doesn't Pay Much Attention To Our Team If They Believe We Will Be A Bottom Feeder ("Lottery Team")

Hortankin

We have quite a few players that are at the age that they can really take a leap this season.

Horvat

Baertschi

Gudbranson

Granlund

Rodin

Etem

Markstrom

Gaunce (maybe next year)

Even a few rookies can break out from where they left off last year

Tryamkin

Hutton

Virtanen

Juolevi (he can potentially take Edlers' spot)

This team could really compete next year if we can stay healthy and some of these youngins take their game to the next level

1st line = solid. Probably in the top 5 in the NHL

2nd line = LW unknown but Sutter and Hansen will be able to do enough to make it a solid 2 way line

3rd line = very solid youthful energetic force that will probably take over 2nd line duties just a few games in. Baertschi Horvat Virtanen/Rodin

4th line = there are so many options. there are some young guys like Granlund, Gaunce, and Etem that could make our 4th line play like a good 3rd line. I'd go out on a limb and say this could potentially be the best 4th line in the NHL. Then there are Burrows, Dorsett, and Grenier. Where do they fit?

1st D = solid. Edler and Tanev were always a solid defensive force.

2nd D = solid. Hutton is a great PMD that could really pile on the points this year, especially since he now has a towering defensive force playing along side of him in Gudbranson. I can see this as out 1st D because this pairing will really help the Swedish trio in the Ozone!

3rd D = if Tryamkin plays like he did last year or better he will make this team very very hard to score on. Larsen and Sbisa will battle it our for the 6 slot. 

Imagine if Tryamkin continues to improve. We would have Tanev, Gudbranson, and Tryamkin. There wouldn't be 1 moment in the game where 1 of them won't be on the ice unless there were penalties. How would people score? Lol. Miller and Markstrom must love JB, he made their jobs a hell of a lot easier!

I'd love to have what the media is smoking, because it must be good stuff. This team is playoff bound and will be a team that other teams will want to avoid playing. Book it!

Look. I really don't think that we are ready this year. We have a good team, and I believe in Benning, but we are going to be on the bubble for the playoffs at best. In a few years we will look back and be thankful for this year because it's where everyone realizes what Benning has done to our core, and starts to love it. There will be breakout years from many players. Next year we will start to rise in the standings even more because everyone will start to find their groove and realize what they can do. This year will also be a confidence booster for most players. 

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Rodin Sutter Eriksson

Baertschi Horvat Etem

Gaunce Granlund Dorsett

Burrows

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Larson

Pedan Sbisa

Miller 

Markstrom

Eriksson needs to be on line 2 to spread the offence but he will play pp with the Sedins. I also think that Hansen won't score 20 or more goals playing with Sutter, but with the Sedins I predict he will get 25-30 goals.

4 minutes ago, CyberKing said:

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Rodin Sutter Eriksson

Baertschi Horvat Etem

Gaunce Granlund Dorsett

Burrows

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Larson

Pedan Sbisa

Miller 

Markstrom

Eriksson needs to be on line 2 to spread the offence but he will play pp with the Sedins. I also think that Hansen won't score 20 or more goals playing with Sutter, but with the Sedins I predict he will get 25-30 goals.

I think your really close.  Switch markstrom to starter. Sutter/Eriksson/? Already looks like an exciting line.

Solid goaltending as well.

The failure imo of the 'lottery pick team' assessments is the willful blindness to the differences between last season and the playoff  team of the year before.

Was that the decline of their core?   Nope.   Sedins, Edler, Tanev = same players they've been. (Not as healthy, but decline?  Nope.).

Did they lose significant pieces that left holes vs the playoff team of a year before?  No.  But they had constant, numerous key injuries throughout the lineup.  Players that will return with the exception of Dan Hamhuis - who's spot is now Gudbranson's. 

Did their supporting cast disperse or decline rapidly?  No.

Their season came down to having a whole lot of young players in key roles.  A transition year that the team knew would transpire - it simply ran much deeper with the loss of Sutter, Hank playing injured, Hamhuis, Edler, Hansen, Tanev, Sbisa, Higgins, Prust (the latter two with essentially season-ending injuries).

In addition - Vrbata injured as well, and when not, he squeezed his stick and pinched a loaf regardless.

But the bottom line / question - show me where the team has downgraded in relation to the 2014-15 season.

1 minute ago, PlanB said:

Media thinks we're a lottery team.

Ownership thinks our 'window' is somehow still open. 

Somewhere in between is our realistic level imo.  

Agreed but I'd say our window was shut last year. This year Benning just cracked it back open a bit. Another year or 2 he will have that thing BLASTED WIDE OPEN!!! 

I respect and love to hear optimism but IMO this is borderline fantasy and doesn't seem really realistic. Especially your thoughts on the first line, fourth line, and defensive play in general. 

I too think that the media is undervaluing our team because I highly doubt we'll be 30th, but we have a tendency to overvalue and be biased as well.

2015 we had injuries to....

Henrik 

Hansen

Edler

Hamhuis

Vrbata

Sutter

Sbisa 

Take the...

#1 center 

Best 2 way player

#2 Dman 

#3 Dman

Top 6 scorer

Elite 3rd line center

#4-5 Physical dman 

Off of any team and see how well they do.

To make things even worse sub in Yannick Weber :P

I could care less where the media predicts the Canucks, predictions are a fools game anyway, fun to do, but take 'em with a grain of salt.  I just don't understand the media when they don't call what the Canucks are doing a rebuild.

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Winning atmosphere. Win it all? Probabky not and thats ok. We need to surround our young guys wth a competitive team. We are doing that imo. 

I know.  Keep the team as competitive as possible while continually adding pieces you want for the future.  How hard is it to fathom for some?

Archived