The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Coyotes sign F Radim Vrbata [1 year x $1M]

thejazz97

Just now, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Wow. If that's true his salary sure has dropped off after his horrible showing in Vancouver.

I'd be interested to hear the value and conditions of those bonuses but as of now, it looks like a low risk, high reward deal. Can't really go wrong with those.

11 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yes, that is true. I think we can all agree that last year was frustrating for the fans and the players. I, myself, too, was frustrated and angry at times to see the poor performance from some of the players. I think it's just one of the things that you don't want to look back at again and move forward. I'm interested to see how he does in Arizona; I think he'll do fairly decent, maybe not the same kind of performance as his first season with the Canucks, but I do think he can still score 20+ goals at age 35.

I won't lie...me, I hated Vrbata.  And Weber.

47 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

The only time Vrbata awakens from his slumber will probably be when they play Vancouver.

Most likely...and it will be in the shootout,...where Vrbata does a few dangles and roofs it glove side,with surgical precision..to win the game.

5 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

I won't lie...me, I hated Vrbata.  And Weber.

Did not like Weber at all, he only had that 10-15 games when he was put on the PP and scored those goals on the point because he just got hot at the time and he absolutely sucked in the playoffs against Calgary 0 points in 6 games with first unit powerplay time and have a -5 rating. Absolutely one of the worst players in the playoffs, turns the puck over again and again and plays extremely soft. And he continued his bad play for last season and he was absolutely frustrating to watch on the ice. He was a key piece to us tanking to a top 5 pick. His exit interview whining about how he goes from the #4 Defenceman to the #7 Defenceman after the summer and training camp of 2015 was absolutely unprofessional. For one, the training camp is establish for internal competition where players could win over the coaches and management and earn himself a spot by working hard and performing in the pre-season (e.g. Ben Hutton). No one should ever walk into training camp thinking they should be handed a spot. Given how injured our defence were last season, even as a so called "#7 guy" in Weber still got to play a lot of valuable top 4 playing time throughout the year. If he really is a a "top 4 guy," he could of just step up his game and play his way back to the top 4 pairing, but instead he was a liability night in and night out. He was to me the most frustrating guy to watch on the ice. I am just surprised that he even got a NHL contract after the year he had because I was for sure that he was headed back to Europe.

As for Vrbata, he was a hero in the 2014-2015 regular season, scoring 31 goals and was definitely a key piece that got us to the playoffs in 2015. But his style doesn't work in the playoffs, he was very frustrating to watch in the playoffs against Calgary (even he had tea-high 4 points in 6 games), he was not the sniper Radim and he goes for his spring hibernation and we were eliminated before he even awakes. The 2015-2016 season Vrbata was absolutely frustrating to watch, most nights he was invisible, to a point that for the last stretch of games when he was out of the line-up. However, he did brought us out of our seats with many of his great goals he scored in his first year here and he did his duty to get us a playoff spot in the 2015 season, despite the fact he quit last season, I think his accomplishment in year 1 and his break down last year just cancels each other out. I still hope he is able to find his game again in a familiar environment in Arizona and have 1 or 2 decent season before he retires.

7 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Did not like Weber at all, he only had that 10-15 games when he was put on the PP and scored those goals on the point because he just got hot at the time and he absolutely sucked in the playoffs against Calgary 0 points in 6 games with first unit powerplay time and have a -5 rating. Absolutely one of the worst players in the playoffs, turns the puck over again and again and plays extremely soft. And he continued his bad play for last season and he was absolutely frustrating to watch on the ice. He was a key piece to us tanking to a top 5 pick. His exit interview whining about how he goes from the #4 Defenceman to the #7 Defenceman after the summer and training camp of 2015 was absolutely unprofessional. For one, the training camp is establish for internal competition where players could win over the coaches and management and earn himself a spot by working hard and performing in the pre-season (e.g. Ben Hutton). No one should ever walk into training camp thinking they should be handed a spot. Given how injured our defence were last season, even as a so called "#7 guy" in Weber still got to play a lot of valuable top 4 playing time throughout the year. If he really is a a "top 4 guy," he could of just step up his game and play his way back to the top 4 pairing, but instead he was a liability night in and night out. He was to me the most frustrating guy to watch on the ice. I am just surprised that he even got a NHL contract after the year he had because I was for sure that he was headed back to Europe.

As for Vrbata, he was a hero in the 2014-2015 regular season, scoring 31 goals and was definitely a key piece that got us to the playoffs in 2015. But his style doesn't work in the playoffs, he was very frustrating to watch in the playoffs against Calgary (even he had tea-high 4 points in 6 games), he was not the sniper Radim and he goes for his spring hibernation and we were eliminated before he even awakes. The 2015-2016 season Vrbata was absolutely frustrating to watch, most nights he was invisible, to a point that for the last stretch of games when he was out of the line-up. However, he did brought us out of our seats with many of his great goals he scored in his first year here and he did his duty to get us a playoff spot in the 2015 season, despite the fact he quit last season, I think his accomplishment in year 1 and his break down last year just cancels each other out. I still hope he is able to find his game again in a familiar environment in Arizona and have 1 or 2 decent season before he retires.

That's a really nice summary of Weber and Vrbata...you forgot to mention in Weber's exit interview that he said something in the lines of "settling" on the Canucks offer after receiving better offers elsewhere.  

As far as Vrbata is concerned, the guy is as talented as they as come.  But as Yogi Berra so eloquently stated (or was it Bob Uecker?), the game at the pro level is played between the ears, and Vrbata doesn't have much there...nor any heart and courage.  This makes him the scarecrow, tin man and the lion all rolled into one.  It will be a happy moment for me when I hear he has officially signed with another team.

9 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

That's a really nice summary of Weber and Vrbata...you forgot to mention in Weber's exit interview that he said something in the lines of "settling" on the Canucks offer after receiving better offers elsewhere.  

Yes, he said that too which really showed how unprofessional he was. I don't think he would have a good season anywhere else he plays. With the Canucks injury depleted defence last year, he got to play a lot more games that he would of. I can't think of any other NHL team other than maybe Toronto and Edmonton that he would get anything more than a top 6 role. He over-valued himself after being put on the point on the first PP unit which the Sedins made him look better than who he really is. I am glad this guy is gone because every time I saw him on the ice, it reminded me that we waived Corrado to make a room for him. Despite the fact that Corrado may not have been as good as we have anticipated, I would rather we give him a chance to develop and if it doesn't work we can ship him out instead of losing him for nothing through waivers.

22 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Yes, he said that too which really showed how unprofessional he was. I don't think he would have a good season anywhere else he plays. With the Canucks injury depleted defence last year, he got to play a lot more games that he would of. I can't think of any other NHL team other than maybe Toronto and Edmonton that he would get anything more than a top 6 role. He over-valued himself after being put on the point on the first PP unit which the Sedins made him look better than who he really is. I am glad this guy is gone because every time I saw him on the ice, it reminded me that we waived Corrado to make a room for him. Despite the fact that Corrado may not have been as good as we have anticipated, I would rather we give him a chance to develop and if it doesn't work we can ship him out instead of losing him for nothing through waivers.

I'm pretty sure it was Ray Ferraro who said something about a lot of the Euros not really caring too much about where they played, just so long as they got the best money they could.  It was easier for them to pack up and move cities, because they always planned on going back to Europe.  Really, how many Euro players end up settling down in a NA city?  Maybe one of our stats guys has a %?

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm pretty sure it was Ray Ferraro who said something about a lot of the Euros not really caring too much about where they played, just so long as they got the best money they could.  It was easier for them to pack up and move cities, because they always planned on going back to Europe.  Really, how many Euro players end up settling down in a NA city?  Maybe one of our stats guys has a %?

I would not categorize that "Euros" are all just going for the cash. I mean it really just depends of the players priority. Some players cares about winning and they sign with teams base on which team gives them the best shot of winning championship. Some players are going for cash (which is understandable considering how much sacrifice they made along the way to make it to the NHL, and each game they play, there could potentially be a career ending injury that could happen, and they just want to make enough money to secure themselves for their life after hockey). There are European players that demonstrates exceptional professionalism, loyalty and commitment to a franchise (e.g the Sedins, Nick Lidstrom etc.), those players regardless of what team they play for, I have tremendous respect to them.

To me, regardless of what priority a player puts forth, I think as a professional sports player, if you are signed with a team for contract, you must honor that contract by playing your best regardless what role you are given and do your best to win for the TEAM not for personal stats. And quit all the whining in front of the media because you are not happy with the role or ice-time you are given. To me, Weber just seems piss that Hutton came out of nowhere and "took his spot" because he feel the team is obligated to give him a spot because of his new contract. Well by the end of the season, even Biega outperformed him for the bottom pairings. Like I said in my other post, his lack of professionalism attitude along with his soft and weak defensive play, I am just so surprised that Nashville even gave him a contract. Given the fact that the Predators are in the Central Division consisted of some major cup contending teams in the Blues, Blackhawks and the Stars, it is a bloodbath just to make it to the playoffs in that Division and Weber's style of play just does not fit. He likely will find himself in the AHL if no one picks him up off the waiver wire by the end of pre-season.

15 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I would not categorize that "Euros" are all just going for the cash. I mean it really just depends of the players priority. Some players cares about winning and they sign with teams base on which team gives them the best shot of winning championship. Some players are going for cash (which is understandable considering how much sacrifice they made along the way to make it to the NHL, and each game they play, there could potentially be a career ending injury that could happen, and they just want to make enough money to secure themselves for their life after hockey). There are European players that demonstrates exceptional professionalism, loyalty and commitment to a franchise (e.g the Sedins, Nick Lidstrom etc.), those players regardless of what team they play for, I have tremendous respect to them.

To me, regardless of what priority a player puts forth, I think as a professional sports player, if you are signed with a team for contract, you must honor that contract by playing your best regardless what role you are given and do your best to win for the TEAM not for personal stats. And quit all the whining in front of the media because you are not happy with the role or ice-time you are given. To me, Weber just seems piss that Hutton came out of nowhere and "took his spot" because he feel the team is obligated to give him a spot because of his new contract. Well by the end of the season, even Biega outperformed him for the bottom pairings. Like I said in my other post, his lack of professionalism attitude along with his soft and weak defensive play, I am just so surprised that Nashville even gave him a contract. Given the fact that the Predators are in the Central Division consisted of some major cup contending teams in the Blues, Blackhawks and the Stars, it is a bloodbath just to make it to the playoffs in that Division and Weber's style of play just does not fit. He likely will find himself in the AHL if no one picks him up off the waiver wire by the end of pre-season.

As a fan, I don't care where our players are from - I just want our team to win.  Ferraro was commenting about the players' perspective on the ease of some guys to move from team to team.  The Twins bleed Canucks.  

5 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

I'd be interested to hear the value and conditions of those bonuses but as of now, it looks like a low risk, high reward deal. Can't really go wrong with those.

Yeah, saw it rumoured earlier today that his potential bonuses are very high (like another $2-3 million if he hits his targets), but it was a pretty weak source so we'll see when the real numbers come

in. But that would basically be a deal where you pay for whatever version of Vrbata you get, which is pretty fair for both sides, given the range of his production the past couple years.

Archived