The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Radulov opens up about suspension in the playoffs

Toews

- Do you ever recall that story when you were accused of violating the curfew in Nashviile?

- Sure do. I think it's time to tell the truth. Yes, I was late for the curfew, but I didn't come back in the morning, as someone wrote back then. I was back to my room fifteen - twenty minutes past the midnight. I didn't have any night party.

When they called me in, I instantly told them to go check the security cameras. I even stood up and said "let's go check it out". It should be clear what time I came back if you look at the recordings. I do not take any responsibility off of myself though, if I had to be back by midnight, I should have been, but don't say I was partying until morning.

- They wanted to get at you.

- And the reason was right on the surface. Let me tell you how I even got to Nashville back then. I was playing for Ufa and I agreed with them I would go to Nashville to honor the remainder of the contract with them, I needed to play the rest of that season to be clean with the club and the league. There was no way for me to not to return to Ufa as they trusted me.

When I got to Nashville, I straight told them about this situation. I said I would give 100% out there, that I would go hard, but it's only until the end of the season. And they started talking about a new contract.

I was telling them that I can't even discuss this! When the season ends, then we can negotiate. Perhaps that aggravated them and they found a way to come at me. But I do insist that I hold all the responsibility for my actions. I gave them a reason to punish me and they used it.

- So, you and the Kostitsyn brothers didn't party with the models in a club?

- That day in Arizona, there was some model meet. They all hung out in a club near our hotel. We got there, but we quickly left since we needed to be back for the curfew. And we were back in time, but one of the reporters saw us.

http://www.sports.ru/hockey/1043012069.htm

Me: He's 30 now. Hopefully he's grown up and it's water under the bridge.

CDC: He's Russian, and therefore he's either:

a.) A Douche

b.) Puke

c.) Spoiled

d.) Unless he's a Canuck, then he's awesome 

Just another example of how we rarely know the whole story. There's usually a small grain of truth, and then the media spins things around, people get mislead about what actually happens. This is exactly what I refer to when I say, a lot of people's character in the public eye gets destroyed because of some things that are only partly true. This seems pretty realistic to me. 

46 minutes ago, Monty said:

a.) A Douche

b.) Puke

c.) Spoiled

I don't see that any where?

People here were mostly confused and thought the signing was strange because apparently he signed a contract in the KHL days before, the fact that Montreal traded away a supposed locker-room problem (which I don't really see that in P.K) only to bring in a guy with past issues, and basically that huge contract he got, despite being a year. I haven't seen anyone here attack Radulov. 

Unless he's a Canuck? Idk about you, but any player, be it our own, has or has had past lockeroom issue as Radulov supposedly has, I wouldn't treat him as an "awesome" person.

47 minutes ago, Monty said:

a.) A Douche

b.) Puke

c.) Spoiled

Nice job generalizing all of us. Most of that isn't even true. 

Teams let players go to UFA for nothing all the time. It wouldn't have been a big deal for Nashville to use Radulov for the playoffs and then potentially get nothing in return. He was free money already, having returned from Russia. Whether they exaggerated isn't so much the question as how much do I believe Radulov that he was only 30 minutes past curfew and Nashville wanted to punish him because he wasn't signing a contract.

3 hours ago, Pears said:

Nice job generalizing all of us. Most of that isn't even true. 

Yes he is generalising but it's what happens everywhere now. People jumping to conclusions based on rumours that the media presents.

Radulov does have a sketchy past but it doesn't make it right that people always assume the worst of him.

Also Poile comes across as a vindictive person. He has trashed players before on their way out of the organisation.

Archived