The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Ducks sign F Antoine Vermette [2 year x $1.75M AAV]

3 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

GMJB got out GM'ed again

Actually though, good signing for the Ducks, but he'll probably be claimed by Vegas.

Seeing as he was living in Arizona the past 5 seasons I'm sure he wouldn't mind the location.

I hope that this doesn't mean that the Coyotes are out of the "Vrbata Sweepstakes".  The sooner Vrbata gets signed by another team, the better I will feel being assured that he won't be returning and sulking in Vancouver.

Vermette at $1.75M AAV sounds reasonable...looks like the silly day of giving over-the-hill-vets ridiculous contracts are a thing of the past.  Maybe the Canucks can extend Burrows at $1.0M AAV for 2017-2018.

5 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

I hope that this doesn't mean that the Coyotes are out of the "Vrbata Sweepstakes".  The sooner Vrbata gets signed by another team, the better I will be feel assured that he won't be returning and sulking in Vancouver.

Vermette at $1.75M AAV sounds reasonable...looks like the silly day of giving over-the-hill-vets ridiculous contracts are a thing of the past.  Maybe the Canucks can extend Burrows at $1.0M AAV for 2017-2018.

3 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

I hope that this doesn't mean that the Coyotes are out of the "Vrbata Sweepstakes".  The sooner Vrbata gets signed by another team, the better I will be feel assured that he won't be returning and sulking in Vancouver.

How would Vermette signing in Anaheim mean Arizona, the team that bought him out, would be out on signing Vrbata?... I don't see the correlation. 

1 minute ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

How would Vermette signing in Anaheim mean Arizona, the team that bought him out, would be out on signing Vrbata?... I don't see the correlation. 

Brain fart...I thought he signed with Arizona again.  Been up all night.

Just now, HK Phooey said:

Brain fart...I thought he signed with Arizona again.  

Oh, okay. Thanks for explaining. I thought I was losing it for a second.

Man, that would have been pretty ridiculous for Arizona to re-sign him after buying him out. Buy him out of a $3.7 mill deal with 1 year left (which would make him safe from the expansion draft because he would be a UFA) just to re-sign him for $3.5 mill for 2 years while still paying his buyout salary in each of those 2 years. That'd be one weird way to give a player a raise. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Man, that would have been pretty ridiculous for Arizona to re-sign him after buying him out. Buy him out of a $3.7 mill deal with 1 year left (which would make him safe from the expansion draft because he would be a UFA) just to re-sign him for $3.5 mill for 2 years while still paying his buyout salary in each of those 2 years. That'd be one weird way to give a player a raise. :lol:

Sorry for the confusion...I'm the one who's confused this morning.

14 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

also not allowed by the cba.

46 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

GMJB got out GM'ed again

Actually though, good signing for the Ducks, but he'll probably be claimed by Vegas.

It's possible, but he'll be 35 next summer and McPhee has said they want to claim players who are younger so as not to load the roster with veterans who only play a couple of years before retiring. If they want veteran, character guys, they can pick them up in free agency cheaply enough.

43 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Was bought out of his 3.75 x1 deal with a non playoff team and signs a 3.5 x2 deal with a contender. Must be Christmas at the vermette house.

Unless cap was really that tight, you'd think they could have traded for him for future considerations. For a low cash team like Arizona, they might have even been able to upgrade a pick to help the Coyotes avoid having to buy him out. (edit: and it's not a $3.5M cap hit, but half that over two years so maybe that was the difference)

Who knows, maybe they only knew they'd have the room by now considering other deals.

Good deal for the Ducks. I mean, Vermette is getting a little long in the tooth, but he's still got some game. Should be good for 15 goals. Nice to hear the Coyotes are close to a deal with Vrbata, would've been very disappointed if he was re-signed as a Canuck.

Great deal for the Ducks.  Vermette has plenty of game left in the tank, pretty decent year last season, 17G, 38pts for a middle 6 guy.

LOL at Arizona for buying out Vermette and wanting Vrbata (who had worse numbers), even if he's cheap.  I'm predicting the Moneyball experiment in the desert will be a huge fiasco. 

So.... we missed out on another affordable upgrade piece... JB better got Evander Kane deal ready!!

But what will end up happening is Buffalo keeps Kane coz they can't sign Vesey... and JB makes a desperation move to sign both Hudler and Pirri to make all of us feel it's been a successful summer!!!

Archived