The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Ducks sign F Antoine Vermette [2 year x $1.75M AAV]

6 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

So.... we missed out on another affordable upgrade piece... JB better got Evander Kane deal ready!!

But what will end up happening is Buffalo keeps Kane coz they can't sign Vesey... and JB makes a desperation move to sign both Hudler and Pirri to make all of us feel it's been a successful summer!!!

Im truly amazed there are sill people here who think bringing kane in is a great idea ..   

walk like an a hole , talk like an a hole , its reasonable to assume your an a hole ... 

buffalo can keep em 

Just now, Lulover88 said:

Im truly amazed there are sill people here who think bringing kane in is a great idea ..   

walk like an a hole , talk like an a hole , its reasonable to assume your an a hole ... 

buffalo can keep em 

Woooo wow.... you really wanted me to report your post? I'm the only one who wanted to see the team bring in a legit power LW? And you need to resort to insult just because you don't like his character? Learn to respect or your parents never taught you well?

Just now, Virtanen#18 said:

Woooo wow.... you really wanted me to report your post? I'm the only one who wanted to see the team bring in a legit power LW? And you need to resort to insult just because you don't like his character? Learn to respect or your parents never taught you well?

i apologize if you took the as me insulting you ..  I meant it about Evander .  I wouldn't slander you that way ..   

sorry if I didn't get that across dude .  

The analytics geniuses in Arizona gift Vermette inside their division to a contender, for a steal of a cap hit.   Surprise.

Vermette winds up making more than he would have (1.25 was the break even) - and Arizona reportedly in the process of signing Vrbata....

I'd be thrilled with Chayka in our division (gifting the EC Redwings in the Datsyuk deal, meh whatever) - but how the hell they rationalize dumping Vermette....I'd love to hear the "analytics" behind that, and the wisdom of replacing him with Vrbata.

If I like Arizona I'd be pissed.

They're like the Leafs imo - poorly managed franchise with a world class coach that puts lipstick on it.

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The analytics geniuses in Arizona gift Vermette inside their division to a contender, for a steal of a cap hit.   Surprise.

Vermette winds up making more than he would have (1.25 was the break even) - and Arizona reportedly in the process of signing Vrbata....

I'd be thrilled with Chayka in our division (gifting the EC Redwings in the Datsyuk deal, meh whatever) - but how the hell they rationalize dumping Vermette....I'd love to hear the "analytics" behind that, and the wisdom of replacing him with Vrbata.

Tippett is VP of hockey ops - didn't they move Maloney out because Tippett wanted more of a say in the decision process.  In their press release they did say that Tippett is now involved in all hockey personnel decisions.  

It seems like Arizona has realised that they will likely not be competitive this year so they will let their 'kids' play.  I think they hope that more ice time and opportunities will accelerate their development.

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

They're like the Leafs imo - poorly managed franchise with a world class coach that puts lipstick on it.

and lipstick on a pig is still a pig ..

Just now, mll said:

It seems like Arizona has realised that they will likely not be competitive this year so they will let their 'kids' play.  I think they hope that more ice time and opportunities will accelerate their development.

It's one thing to 'let your kids play' - another to get them in over their head.

Throwing Strome into a top 6 role (not the kind of 19 yr old I'd be gifting those minutes prematurely) and Gaudet onto their 4th line...(meh).  That's not particularly strong or deep down the middle imo, but I could see the new 'philosophy' of pick-position hunting being employed by that franchise.

But the 'philosophical' justification doesn't really hold water if they turn around and sign Vrbata - eating minutes from someone like Duclair or Reider, particularly when they already have Doan.   Imo Vermette is a better fit and more versatile player than Vrbata - who can handle hard minutes, win faceoffs, etc - do some of the heavier lifting, whereas Vrbata.....well he's an opportunistic sniper but otherwise aint really gonna make life easier for their young players.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Anaheim set up for a big drop off this season?

with the losses they've sustained and the fact that their big guns have aged another year ..   yes , there is a high probability they could drop off significantly .   lets keep our fingers crossed !!!

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Tippett is VP of hockey ops - didn't they move Maloney out because Tippett wanted more of a say in the decision process.  In their press release they did say that Tippett is now involved in all hockey personnel decisions.  

That's not my take - or the impression you'd get from their statements or the fact they promoted Chayka.

They openly criticized Maloney's use of money - which when followed up by the Vermette buyout suggests that they had a problem with him signing that contract - and lack of confidence in his judgement, which I find highly ironic.  Chayka imo has come in and made a couple of the oddest, scarcely defensible moves of the summer.

Maloney imo did an excellent job there.   And not worth forgetting is the fact he dealt Vermette for a 1st and Dahlbeck just before bringing him back on a reasonable two year deal.  If Vermette aint worth his salt, the irony would be the price a contender paid to rent him and make him a fixture in their successful Stanley Cup run.  I suppose Chicago is as dumb as Maloney.

I'd love to hear the "analytics" case for Vermette being a buyout candidate.

4 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

with the losses they've sustained and the fact that their big guns have aged another year ..   yes , there is a high probability they could drop off significantly .   lets keep our fingers crossed !!!

How great would it be to see Kesler suffer for the rest of his BLOATED contract on a crappy team?

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How great would it be to see Kesler suffer for the rest of his BLOATED contract on a crappy team?

hahahah  ...    Ahhhhhhhhh what sweet relief and joy that would be ..       if people think he's miserable now , imagine him if that happens ???

he'd be hockeys lemony snicket 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yeah, that would be great Alf, but wouldn't go putting your money on that.

Have you had a look at their young defensive core?   Their young goaltender?

Getzlaf, Kesler, Vermette, Rackell, Thompson - that's pretty solid down the middle with a pair of elite faceoff guys in their middle six.

I won't be banking on any Ducks collapse anytime soon.

44 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That's not my take - or the impression you'd get from their statements or the fact they promoted Chayka.

They openly criticized Maloney's use of money - which when followed up by the Vermette buyout suggests that they had a problem with him signing that contract - and lack of confidence in his judgement, which I find highly ironic.  Chayka imo has come in and made a couple of the oddest, scarcely defensible moves of the summer.

Maloney imo did an excellent job there.   And not worth forgetting is the fact he dealt Vermette for a 1st and Dahlbeck just before bringing him back on a reasonable two year deal.  If Vermette aint worth his salt, the irony would be the price a contender paid to rent him and make him a fixture in their successful Stanley Cup run.  I suppose Chicago is as dumb as Maloney.

I'd love to hear the "analytics" case for Vermette being a buyout candidate.

The Hockey News has that Maloney lost the power struggle to Tippett / they share your take that Maloney did a great job: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/gm-don-maloney-lost-front-office-power-struggle-in-arizona/

Under Maloney, the Coyotes did things the right way, building up a stable of draft picks and prospects with terrific drafting and trading of veterans. But now, essentially because coach Dave Tippett won the power struggle that cost Maloney his job, the mandate will be to win immediately. “Now, they’re going to do it the stupid way,” said one NHL executive.

Friedman reported that Tippett will have more control and it was communicated in their press release that he will now be involved in all hockey personnel decisions.  I don't think Chayka can move Vermette without input from Tippett.  

btw Vermette was healthy scratched to start the series against Nashville.  I remember it being a theme given the price to get him and he wasn't getting in the lineup.  Quick check - he played 20 games on 23 and had the lowest ice time among Fs at 13min.

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

God do you suck.

Archived