The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Ducks sign F Antoine Vermette [2 year x $1.75M AAV]

2 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

So.... we missed out on another affordable upgrade piece... JB better got Evander Kane deal ready!!

But what will end up happening is Buffalo keeps Kane coz they can't sign Vesey... and JB makes a desperation move to sign both Hudler and Pirri to make all of us feel it's been a successful summer!!!

30711079.jpg

3 hours ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Ducks got enough centres why would they do this.

Can never have enough centres especially for injuries. Ducks are looking to go deep in the playoffs again and Vermette's 2 year contract gives them that window. Eases defensive responsibilities from Getzlaf/Kesler

30 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

Can never have enough centres especially for injuries. Ducks are looking to go deep in the playoffs again and Vermette's 2 year contract gives them that window. Eases defensive responsibilities from Getzlaf/Kesler

Yep.  Good, versatile player with a nice cap hit.    No real downside to this move.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hi Truck.  Are you still looking to chuck knuckles?  I'm with you on this post though.  B)

Man... guys like u and him really love bullying!! The guy has apologized and I accepted in private...  WTF do u care?? So u find it OK to call ppl a-hole with no instigation? 

37 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

God do you sound bitter and miserable!!  I mean every frigging time..  reminds me of some grandpa who refuses to go on last breath....

Then grab a pillow, hold it firmly over...

Grandpa will sleep quietly. :)

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is Anaheim set up for a big drop off this season?

Nah. This year I think is going to be their do or die year. If they fail in the playoffs again, I think the core will be uprooted a bit. The Ducks are in a must win this season position. 

9 hours ago, mll said:

The Hockey News has that Maloney lost the power struggle to Tippett / they share your take that Maloney did a great job: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/gm-don-maloney-lost-front-office-power-struggle-in-arizona/

Under Maloney, the Coyotes did things the right way, building up a stable of draft picks and prospects with terrific drafting and trading of veterans. But now, essentially because coach Dave Tippett won the power struggle that cost Maloney his job, the mandate will be to win immediately. “Now, they’re going to do it the stupid way,” said one NHL executive.

Friedman reported that Tippett will have more control and it was communicated in their press release that he will now be involved in all hockey personnel decisions.  I don't think Chayka can move Vermette without input from Tippett.  

btw Vermette was healthy scratched to start the series against Nashville.  I remember it being a theme given the price to get him and he wasn't getting in the lineup.  Quick check - he played 20 games on 23 and had the lowest ice time among Fs at 13min.

Interesting.  I of course don't know anything about the inner dynamics of Arizona or the politics - and can't help but not really trust journalists that claim to without any real sources/quotes, but it's possible that Tippett and Maloney didn't see eye to eye.

The thing about this article that doesn't really compute - if Maloney was in favour of 'doing it the right way' and accumulating draft picks, trading veterans, whereas Tippett allegedly wants to do it the 'stupid way' and win more in the shorter run, how exactly does that explain buying out a veteran like Vermette in favour of throwing a teenager like Strome into the top6 and an unproven rookie like Gaudet into a bottom 6 role?   Is that the "win now" approach?   

Can't necessarily buy the HN characterization of Tippett tbh.   Whether or not Chayka is actually the acting GM may be debatable, but unfortunately we really don't know who's making what calls - and in the end, it comes down to the guy wearing the hat.

11 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

So.... we missed out on another affordable upgrade piece... JB better got Evander Kane deal ready!!

But what will end up happening is Buffalo keeps Kane coz they can't sign Vesey... and JB makes a desperation move to sign both Hudler and Pirri to make all of us feel it's been a successful summer!!!

JB doesn't give a dump whether you consider it a successful summer.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Interesting.  I of course don't know anything about the inner dynamics of Arizona or the politics - and can't help but not really trust journalists that claim to without any real sources/quotes, but it's possible that Tippett and Maloney didn't see eye to eye.

The thing about this article that doesn't really compute - if Maloney was in favour of 'doing it the right way' and accumulating draft picks, trading veterans, whereas Tippett allegedly wants to do it the 'stupid way' and win more in the shorter run, how exactly does that explain buying out a veteran like Vermette in favour of throwing a teenager like Strome into the top6 and an unproven rookie like Gaudet into a bottom 6 role?   Is that the "win now" approach?   

Can't necessarily buy the HN characterization of Tippett tbh.   Whether or not Chayka is actually the acting GM may be debatable, but unfortunately we really don't know who's making what calls - and in the end, it comes down to the guy wearing the hat.

It depends how you understand the comment on win now - they don't really stand a chance this year.  I think they recognised that and that they are using this year as a development year where they give a lot of opportunity and ice time to the 'kids' with the hope that it accelerate their development - the hope of a Domi/Duclair repeat with their other young players. 

Also found this tweet from Frieman who might be a better source re more involvement by Tippett.  

And from their press release: The Coyotes also announced that Alternate Governor Gary Drummond will now serve as President of Hockey Operations and Dave Tippett will take on the new role of Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations/Head Coach. Tippett has also agreed to a new five-year contract. Under the new structure, Drummond will oversee the Coyotes’ hockey operations department and Tippett will be involved in hockey personnel decisions.

11 hours ago, mll said:

It depends how you understand the comment on win now - they don't really stand a chance this year.  I think they recognised that and that they are using this year as a development year where they give a lot of opportunity and ice time to the 'kids' with the hope that it accelerate their development - the hope of a Domi/Duclair repeat with their other young players. 

Also found this tweet from Frieman who might be a better source re more involvement by Tippett.  

And from their press release: The Coyotes also announced that Alternate Governor Gary Drummond will now serve as President of Hockey Operations and Dave Tippett will take on the new role of Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations/Head Coach. Tippett has also agreed to a new five-year contract. Under the new structure, Drummond will oversee the Coyotes’ hockey operations department and Tippett will be involved in hockey personnel decisions.

Meh.  Again - this is distant speculation in general about what it "would likely mean".  It tells you literally nothing about a particular move like the Vermette buyout.

And Arizona has 'officially' signed Vrbata, so go figure what the logic of those two moves adds up to.

On 15 August 2016 at 7:14 PM, Virtanen#18 said:

What do you mean "missed out?" He's a 3rd/4th liner.

He is nothing special and we have centers of our own who we need to develop.

He wasn't a great fit here anyway, it's just as well. He could fit in well with the Ducks though, it's possible his defensive prowess could free up Kesler to play more of an offensive game too. Who knows how that would end up, but the Ducks have some nice center depth even if it's a tad old.

Archived