The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Ducks sign F Antoine Vermette [2 year x $1.75M AAV]

On August 15, 2016 at 0:53 PM, mll said:

The Hockey News has that Maloney lost the power struggle to Tippett / they share your take that Maloney did a great job: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/gm-don-maloney-lost-front-office-power-struggle-in-arizona/

Under Maloney, the Coyotes did things the right way, building up a stable of draft picks and prospects with terrific drafting and trading of veterans. But now, essentially because coach Dave Tippett won the power struggle that cost Maloney his job, the mandate will be to win immediately. “Now, they’re going to do it the stupid way,” said one NHL executive.

Friedman reported that Tippett will have more control and it was communicated in their press release that he will now be involved in all hockey personnel decisions.  I don't think Chayka can move Vermette without input from Tippett.  

btw Vermette was healthy scratched to start the series against Nashville.  I remember it being a theme given the price to get him and he wasn't getting in the lineup.  Quick check - he played 20 games on 23 and had the lowest ice time among Fs at 13min.

I would take anything Ken Campbell writes with a grain of salt.

He is firmly on the 'old school' side of thinking, and anything that appears to be against it, whether that be positive or negative is ultimately viewed as terrible according to Campbell.

20 hours ago, oldnews said:

JB doesn't give a dump whether you consider it a successful summer.

And ppl give a dump about your bs here?? Precisely who asked for ur approval of others' comments really??  I have the same right to voice my opinion without resorting to personal attacks like you love to do.... just so you know!

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

What do you mean "missed out?" He's a 3rd/4th liner.

He is nothing special and we have centers of our own who we need to develop.

I realize he's not an amazing upgrade but we do need depth at centre... we can't count on Gaunce or Megna if either Sutter or Horvat goes down. 

Not many affordable upgrades out on the market... at least Vermette can play C and LW, good at face-off, got some grit and can chip in goals... you don't think that's a better fit than Hudler or Gagner? 

7 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I realize he's not an amazing upgrade but we do need depth at centre... we can't count on Gaunce or Megna if either Sutter or Horvat goes down. 

Not many affordable upgrades out on the market... at least Vermette can play C and LW, good at face-off, got some grit and can chip in goals... you don't think that's a better fit than Hudler or Gagner? 

Fair enough but these guys are not just signing for a year to tide us over. They want term and bucks - no thanks. I don't mind paying out for a guy in his late 20's but not for a player who we could be stuck with who isn't that good. He is not imo a fill in for Sutter OR Bo.

Archived