The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5 years ago today..Aug 15th Rypper left us..

ShakyWalton

As a man who has struggled with anxiety and depression, God bless Rick and his legacy.  Mindcheck has truly been a lifesaver (literally) for me.  

For all the other tough guys out there, don't be afraid to speak up and get help. No shame.

20 minutes ago, detooned said:

Don't get me wrong Ripper is one of my all time favourite Canucks, but come on do we really need to bring this up every year! I'll never understand celebrating the day of a passing!

sorry I didnt check with you first..no one is celebrating..its a remembrance and the circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Steen said:

As a man who has struggled with anxiety and depression, God bless Rick and his legacy.  Mindcheck has truly been a lifesaver (literally) for me.  

For all the other tough guys out there, don't be afraid to speak up and get help. No shame.

good on you steen 

33 minutes ago, detooned said:

Don't get me wrong Ripper is one of my all time favourite Canucks, but come on do we really need to bring this up every year! I'll never understand celebrating the day of a passing!

There's a huge difference between celebrating and memorializing. I hear what you're saying though. As someone who's lost close friends and family to very similar issues to those Rypien faced in life, I've never sure how to feel on these kinds of days.

But for many people, commemorating the date of a loved one's passing is a big part of the healing process. And given how much this fanbase loved Rypien, I can appreciate why people want to remember this date. 

It's also important to note that Rypien has become a symbol for the dangers of stigmatizing mental illness. And his family very much supports the initiatives that seek to bring something positive out of this tragedy.

It was Rick's wish in life that public awareness of his struggles with depression might somehow help others dealing with similar issues:

"Rick confided in me his desire to talk to young people and let them know it was OK to ask for help," Canuck vice-president T.C. Carling says. "It was imperative for me to fulfil that wish for Rick. It's OK to talk about mental health, and it's OK to ask for help. We've started the conversation and want to continue the conversation."

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/brother+watching+mental+health+legacy/7898018/story.html

Remembering Rick Rypien and the tragic circumstances of his passing has the potential to help a lot of people. Memorializing his passing is a good way to honour Rick's wishes and continue to raise awareness about mental health.

12 minutes ago, Steen said:

We as men, especially the older generations, were too darned hell bent on connecting weakness with emotions other than aggression and anger.  

12 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

..its a remembrance and the circumstances.

its also the fact that when we really love someone we keep them alive in our hearts by talking about them and remembering them . 

I hope when Im gone, the people I love will do the same for me 

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

There's a huge difference between celebrating and memorializing. I hear what you're saying though. As someone who's lost close friends and family to very similar issues to those Rypien faced in life, I've never sure how to feel on these kinds of days.

But for many people, commemorating the date of a loved one's passing is a big part of the healing process. And given how much this fanbase loved Rypien, I can appreciate why people want to remember this date. 

It's also important to note that Rypien has become a symbol for the dangers of stigmatizing mental illness. And his family very much supports the initiatives that seek to bring something positive out of this tragedy.

It was Rick's wish in life that public awareness of his struggles with depression might somehow help others dealing with similar issues:

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/brother+watching+mental+health+legacy/7898018/story.html

Remembering Rick Rypien and the tragic circumstances of his passing has the potential to help a lot of people. Memorializing his passing is a good way to honour Rick's wishes and continue to raise awareness about mental health.

well said my friend.

44 minutes ago, detooned said:

Here come the negative points!

Next year we will have to check with you to make sure it is allowed o holy one!

As a smaller player with insecurities and maniacal canucks fans I was drawn to Ryp. Inspiring guy too say the least, I've always been the little fiery guy who thinks he's bigger than he was on and off the ice. Watching the giant slayer in action really give me the feels. Guy was my favourite player and when he passed I was floored. Sometimes people with imbalance are so good at one end of the spectrum of life and so bad in the other. I'm glad I got too witness him doing his thing on the ice, and its a real shame he couldn't make it all work. Thoughts go out to his family and friends, i'm sure juice is grinning ear too ear remembering ryp snappin prusts head back. 

Gotta love Rick Rypien, RIP too the p4p king

Archived