The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen Vs Etem

dpn1

I  don't understand why  so many seem to put Etem over Virtanen when this season's Lineup is discussed.  Etem played 4 more games (including games with the Rangers) and his points were about the same as Jake's.  Etem hardly has a physical presence on the ice even though he is 6' 1" and 212 lb.  Jake makes an effort to hit all he can.  I think Jake is the better choice.  What do you all think?

Vertanen

VERTANEN

VERTANEN

He's AHL eligible and will be better served under Green starting out as a top 6 getting solid numbers and time against solid opposition

10/10 on thread choice topic and substance would read again

Virtanen has plenty of time to develop into the player he needs to be. He was rushed into the league last year, and it arguably hurt his development. There were times it was painful to watch him (and sometimes not so bad) and he lacked the awareness to be on the main squad. I do think he could make the team and turn some heads if he had a great offseason - but it wouldn't hurt to start him in Utica.

Etem, on the other hand, is a player that once had a lot of potential and then had a very difficult time finding himself, mostly due to him not crashing the net or having a set role with a team. He showed great flashes with Horvat, that have to be seen if they can be built upon, to see whether or not he's in the future plans.

Think of it like this -- 

If Etem pans out - we have a borderline top 6, for sure bottom 6 player to move on with.

If Etem doesn't pan out - he's a one year gap between the players that we are developing, such as Virtanen, so that we don't rush them into the big leagues.

14 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I  don't understand why  so many seem to put Etem over Vertanen when this season's Lineup is discussed. 

Because starting Jake Virtanen in the AHL would be good for his development. He is still very young and there is no reason to rush him.

16 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Etem played 4 more games (including games with the Rangers)

Three games, actually.

One should expect that people will write the correct name of the players at least in the head of a new topic. It is very astonishing that about 10% to 15% of all the players names in CDC are wrong spelled.

It's something about respect to wright the correct names, imo.

34 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I  don't understand why  so many seem to put Etem over Vertanen when this season's Lineup is discussed.  Etem played 4 more games (including games with the Rangers) and his points were about the same as Jake's.  Etem hardly has a physical presence on the ice even though he is 6' 1" and 212 lb.  Jake makes an effort to hit all he can.  I think Jake is the better choice.  What do you all think?

Maybe because this Vertanen guy is 36 years old, think his playing days are behind him.

http://www.eurohockey.com/player/38623-jarmo-vertanen.html

Benning stated he wanted the team to get younger and faster.  He drafted this Virtanen kid who looks pretty good.

Virtanen can still develop his offence at the AHL level and it may in fact be beneficial to do so. Etem probably doesn't have much to gain by going to AHL and he is waiver eligible anyways. For Etem, the time is now to show what he can do. For Virtanen, there is still time to improve to maximize his potential in a less stressful environment before he is put in a position where he has to perform.

Spelling issues aside, on paper it makes more sense to have Virtanen in Utica for the season. Let him be that top 6 guy and find his game playing against men instead of the boys in the CHL. 

Of course, that all goes out the window if he comes into training camp and the preseason with a fire light under his ass. It certainly worked for Hutton anyway. 

40 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Vertanen

VERTANEN

VERTANEN

He's AHL eligible and will be better served under Green starting out as a top 6 getting solid numbers and time against solid opposition

10/10 on thread choice topic and substance would read again

maybe he misspelled edam and there is some other cheese I don't know about

Etem is not taking a spot over Virtanen - they have much higher expectations for Virtanen.  For Etem, WD talks of making hits and blocking shots and says he is trying to change his game to fit in - I don't think they see Etem as a scorer at this level but more as an energy player that can wear down the opponents.

Virtanen on the other hand will be a productive player.  He needs to be developed into the power forward they envision him to become and he's much better off playing a lot of minutes in Utica.  

Last year he only played 11:30 with pretty much everyone on pretty much every line.  He's not going to develop consistency or be able to progress with that limited ice time but also by playing with so many different linemates with some being just as inconsistent as he is himself.  

If Virtanen stays they should try and play him besides two vets who bring stability and consistency and can mentor him on the ice.  He started with Burrows and Sutter but then Sutter got injured - so maybe that was the plan all along. 

As others have said prior it is good for his development to play on the farm. I believe keeping him up here last year was a mistake and stunted his development. Management was desperate to have some reason for fans to be excited and fill the empty seats. That is the only reason he stayed with the big club IMHO.

I really hope they do right by Juolevi and send him back to Junior. We DO NOT need to rush him. Same with Jake.

Archived