The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A surf park in False Creek?

Raymond Luxury Yacht

I'm not sure if it really is possible, but this would be so cool.  I cringe when I see people swim there as it is now.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/surf-park-proposal-floated-for-polluted-waters-of-vancouver-s-east-false-creek-1.3723426

The company's idea is to build a pool floating in False Creek, but physically separated from it by a membrane that would somehow filter the water to make it safe for swimming.

(False Creek is not suitable for swimming, according to Vancouver Coastal Health, which advises people to wash their hands and shower after coming into contact with the water.)

Such a floating filtration system is an emerging technology that no one is using yet, said Davis. In New York, a floating, filtered swimming poolhas also been proposed for the polluted East River but not yet built.

Davis said the wave would be programmable — small at times for swimming or paddling lessons, but able to grow.

"The wave can be modulated to be everything from a very small crumbling wave for kids to catch on boogie boards to a six foot wave that expert surfers could ride."

The filtered water from False Creek would be recirculated in the pool, then released back into the waterway, said Davis.

"The ability to be able to use the water in False Creek is paramount to the success of what we're doing."

city-surf-promotional-2.jpeg

If they could get that filtration system to work, I would be all for it! 

The person who I heard about this from didn't mention that it would be filtered so my first thought originally was "That's a stupid f***ing idea!" but if they can make it safe for people to swim in, I would spend a summer day there in a heartbeat. 

On 2016-08-16 at 9:59 PM, riffraff said:

Totally tubular man!

edit:

does this mean less people in tofino?!?!?!?

You wish...I also wish.  The worst are the douch-nozzles who come from far and wide, live there for 3 months, consider themselves local, and push major attitude.  Unfortunately Tofino has been ruined by it's own success.  Hopefully Willie and Hammer can bring back some normal folk and de-douche the scene a few notches.

despite my rant, Tofino...well Ukie now, is were where my soul is at home.

On August 18, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

You wish...I also wish.  The worst are the douch-nozzles who come from far and wide, live there for 3 months, consider themselves local, and push major attitude.  Unfortunately Tofino has been ruined by it's own success.  Hopefully Willie and Hammer can bring back some normal folk and de-douche the scene a few notches.

despite my rant, Tofino...well Ukie now, is were where my soul is at home.

Ive never lived in either town.  (My bro lived in ukie for a bit) In fact I've only lived on the island for a few years.  But I've been going up there since the late 90's especially in winter when it's best of course.  Even back then which really isn't that long ago it was so different.  It was usually just my brother, another buddy and myself.  In fact all of us often went alone and I still do mostly.  We only got a bit of stink eye back in the day from one local who eventually gave up in that once he realized he was seeing us in the trail a lot during the crappiest of weather .  It became the usual acknowledging "nod" lol.  Same when at the bar or the legion back then.  Those were the early years for us and my real learning days getting schooled in all the wrong spots in the water etc.

after several trips abroad and now being older and uglier I don't even get a sideways look.  I avoid town.  I camp in the clear cuts when alone and only the real sites when with the family.

i really enjoy the long beach vibe.  It's full of families and beginners. It can be entertaining.  It's a good spot for the kids.

i think nowadays the real good local rippers head up to some of the other boat access spots when it gets really full swell.  I find there is less "6 month local citizenship" attitude when it's bigger in winter at the usual beaches - more room out there then.

i love tofino - that area.  It's still very special to the west coast.  Every part of those trips I enjoy.  Always feel better after being there.

Archived