The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Multiple teams interested in NCAA free agent Thomas DiPauli

Jimmy Vesey isn't the only college player attracting attention on the free-agent market.

Notre Dame forward Thomas DiPauli, who was unable to come to terms on an entry-level contract with the Washington Capitals, is receiving interest from at least six teams, according to Mark Divver of The Providence Journal.

Drafted in the fourth round (100th overall) by the Capitals in 2012, DiPauli recorded 14 goals and 18 assists in 37 games for Notre Dame last season, and averaged 0.54 points per game over his four NCAA seasons.

DiPauli shares an agent with Vesey, meaning the representatives for both players are among the busiest people in hockey this week.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1079697

He couldn't come to an agreement with Washington??? The guy never even reached a PPG pace in the NCAA. What more then a bare minimum contract does the guy think he's owed??? I'm starting to think the agent both him and Vesey share may be at fault for this.

46 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I'd rather a team hold nhl rights until 26 like normal UFA's

Except teams only hold those rights if they can sign said player to a contract within the appropriate time. For instance, we had to sign Subban within 2 years or allow him to go back in the draft, and we had to sign Tryamkin for this year or allow him to go to UFA. Why would a 22/23 year old player (who's chosen to go the college route and graduate) you haven't signed be required to stay your property for another 3-4 years when the others aren't?

Apart from how it is now, the only possible way it works is if teams hold the rights of graduating NCAA players for one year and if they still can't agree, then they go to UFA. Otherwise it's unfair to the players and there's no way the NHLPA would let it get into a new CBA (which we aren't due for yet anyway).

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Except teams only hold those rights if they can sign said player to a contract within the appropriate time. For instance, we had to sign Subban within 2 years or allow him to go back in the draft, and we had to sign Tryamkin for this year or allow him to go to UFA. Why would a 22/23 year old player (who's chosen to go the college route and graduate) you haven't signed be required to stay your property for another 3-4 years when the others aren't?

Apart from how it is now, the only possible way it works is if teams hold the rights of graduating NCAA players for one year and if they still can't agree, then they go to UFA. Otherwise it's unfair to the players and there's no way the NHLPA would let it get into a new CBA (which we aren't due for yet anyway).

I agree.  I'm not sure what the bid deal is.  There's a lot of righteous acrimony out there.  

5 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

i really think the nhl should play hardball with vesey and this kid make them reeneter the draft so they have to wait another yr to play  id pretty much black list the agent so he had no clients   i swear vesey is so overrated who cares where he signs he will bust 

Hmm.  Great point.  Who really does care?  Oh, just NHL GMs.  Whatever, amirite?

Can anyone explain why they feel personally offended by this?

is this guy even any good? not even a point per game. what is he expecting? bottom six player if he makes it onto an NHL roster. the only player in interested that's a UFA out in the open right now is Vessey. and he's not coming to the Canucks. Toronto most likely. 

Archived