The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have had internal discussions about moving Edler

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/would-the-canucks-trade-alex-edler

Would the Canucks trade Alex Edler?

The team has a lot of defencemen. Could they afford to do without their most experienced?

Maybe, just maybe.

Some of you would undoubtedly rejoice at the news.

Grady Sas, who works at TSN 1050 in Toronto has some interesting news:

But here’s the thing. Alex Edler, who yes, makes mistakes, is still a quality NHL defenceman. He’s also now the defence corps’ elder statesman, too.

As Sas points out in his tweets, there’s no real Plan B for an Edler-less future. Ben Hutton, as we saw late in the season, isn’t there yet. He might be in a year, but given how players tend to at-best tread water in their second season, it’s not reasonable to expect him to be ready to carry heavy minutes. Luca Sbisa, as we’ve seen, is best suited to a 6/7 role. Nikita Tryamkin could turn into a top-pairing defenceman, but his late-season audition showed him to be still very rough around the edges.

If you’re a team which is claiming to have the playoffs as a target, you can’t start the season with so many unknowns on the blue line. Edler is a known quantity. Maybe you move him as the season gets rolling and it turns out you’ve hit home runs on all your gambles: Ben Hutton has continued to improve; Tryamkin can carry heavy minutes and push play in the right direction, Andrey Pedan or Luca Sbisa are playing a sound game. Maybe, somehow, Olli Juolevi has surprised everyone and come out of training camp with a spot in the NHL lineup.

Then, maybe, you would look at a trade.

This is an added wrinkle from a knowledgable tweeter:

Who knows what teams Edler would consider, but such a scenario would make things very tight.

In other words, don’t hold your breath.

Encouraging report.

Like that management isn't satisfied with anything really and are open to all scenarios to improve the team.

Think Edler gets too much of a bad rap.

he gives the puck away sometimes but still our best all arounder dman. Puts up around 40 points a year on a barren blueline.

most of all though he's a good defenseman logging the ice time above his ability or paygrade.

hes never been the problem and I think getting rid of him now is counter intuitive to having the Sedins on contract..

If this is true, we would probably be trading for a more offensively minded replacement on that top pairing.

This would be similar to the reported Tanev + for Subban deal that was offered... we have a solid D, but not not very well balanced as we could use more goals from that pairing.

The sources just get worse and worse as the summer goes along. I'll play along though.

If it's Anaheim they can give us Theodore and Rackell or Silferberg.

If it's Colorado they can give us Landeskog with a pick and a prospect added on our end.

I highly doubt they've asked him to waive though.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The sources just get worse and worse as the summer goes along. I'll play along though.

If it's Anaheim they can give us Theodore and Rackell or Silferberg.

If it's Colorado they can give us Landeskog with a pick and a prospect added on our end.

I highly doubt they've asked him to waive though.

Edler + 2nd + which prospect hmmm. 

15 minutes ago, goblix said:

Think Edler gets too much of a bad rap.

he gives the puck away sometimes but still our best all arounder dman. Puts up around 40 points a year on a barren blueline.

most of all though he's a good defenseman logging the ice time above his ability or paygrade.

hes never been the problem and I think getting rid of him now is counter intuitive to having the Sedins on contract..

The difference between Edler and being classified as a top guy is consistency. He has none. 

I wonder if the Avs would be willing to trade Zadorov.

A bottom pair of Zadorov and Tryamkin would be pretty menacing.

Hutton Tanev

Sbisa Gudbranson

Zadorov Tryamkin

Definitely one of the harder hitting D cores in the league. Not sure how much offense it would provide though. Get them to throw in Grigerenko too.

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I wonder if the Avs would be willing to trade Zadorov.

A bottom pair of Zadorov and Tryamkin would be pretty menacing.

Hutton Tanev

Sbisa Gudbranson

Zadorov Tryamkin

Definitely one of the harder hitting D cores in the league. Not sure how much offense it would provide though. Get them to throw in Grigerenko too.

Hutton isn't ready to be a top pairing dman especially in his sophomore season. If we were to move Edler I'd expect a top pair or top 4 coming back.

Edler + 2nd for Ekholm?

1 minute ago, DeltaSwede said:

So, sophomore Hutton would be playing on the 1st pairing, followed by Tryamkin and Sbisa.. The left side has never looked better.

Sure it's an option, but the timing is way off. 

There will never be a good time to trade Edler as long as we're still trying to compete.

The question management has to ask is are they willing to trade him while he still has value or not.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

There will never be a good time to trade Edler as long as we're still trying to compete.

The question management has to ask is are they willing to trade him while he still has value or not.

I'd say there are better times to trade Edler atleast that would actually make sense instead of at the end of an offseason. Trade deadline if the Canucks are out of the race, or at the draft so they would have an entire summer to look at finding somewhat of a replacement. 

Archived