The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have had internal discussions about moving Edler

7 minutes ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

Hutton isn't ready to be a top pairing dman especially in his sophomore season. If we were to move Edler I'd expect a top pair or top 4 coming back.

Edler + 2nd for Ekholm?

Hutton is 23, it's not like he's an 18 year old rookie. I thought he handled more minutes better than most our D last season.

The minutes would have to be spread throughout the pairs anyways, it's not like he'd be playing 25-30 minutes a game. It's not ideal but if we were getting a big future piece back it might be worth it to bite the bullet.

2 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I'd say there are better times to trade Edler atleast that would actually make sense instead of at the end of an offseason. Trade deadline if the Canucks are out of the race, or at the draft so they would have an entire summer to look at finding somewhat of a replacement. 

Unless the trade sends back a replacement in the form of a young D-man that's ready to step into a top 4 role.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hutton is 23, it's not like he's an 18 year old rookie. I thought he handled more minutes better than most our D last season.

The minutes would have to be spread throughout the pairs anyways, it's not like he'd be playing 25-30 minutes a game. It's not ideal but if we were getting a big future piece back it might be worth it to bite the bullet.

Good point. Hutton can play top pair  but just not the ideal 25-30 min type like you said. As for the trade, do you think Edler and a 2nd for Ekholm would be enough?

5 minutes ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

Good point. Hutton can play top pair  but just not the ideal 25-30 min type like you said. As for the trade, do you think Edler and a 2nd for Ekholm would be enough?

Not sure why Nashville would wanna trade Ekholm when he's basically a young better version of Edler.

Unless you mean Lindholm from the Ducks, in which case no I don't think they do it.

Doesn't really matter if Edlers replacement can handle the top pair on not, Edler himself doesn't cut it there. If we can get decent value, gotta pull that trigger. 

It would be nice to trade someone who much of the league thinks is still valuable ( for reasons beyond my understanding in Edlers case ) vs players on the cusp of breaking out or players well past their best before date. 

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not sure why Nashville would wanna trade Ekholm when he's basically a young better version of Edler.

Unless you mean Lindholm from the Ducks, in which case no I don't think they do it.

Nah I meant Ekholm. It just seems like we should have traded him before because I'm having a hard time thinking what we could get for him right now.

8 minutes ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

No way Nashville is moving Ekholm.  He is starting this season a 6 year contract at 3.75M (5 years being UFA years).  There are even discussions of him being paired with Subban.  It's very obvious that the Predators are going to protect their top-4 D.  Poile talks of how he now has exactly the top-4 Ds he wants.  

Just now, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

Nah I meant Ekholm. It just seems like we should have traded him before because I'm having a hard time thinking what we could get for him right now.

Well one source said he was only willing to go to Anaheim or Colorado (which is probably BS).

Just discussing those two teams for fun. Who knows who he would actually waive for.

IF Edler's being shopped, makes me wonder..

Would the twins want to stay their last yr?

If we have another poor(to mediocre) season, they might want to move on elsewhere for their last kick at the can. Would be AFTER expansion draft(next summer), to a competitive team, with some salary retained.

Would probably land 5 or 6 good young pieces if you moved the Swedish trifecta.

Kes, Lu, Juice, Burr, Hammy, Swedish 3...It would be a speedy rebuild, with tonnes of cap space & youth.

11 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Nashville:

Josi & Subban

Edler/Eckholm & Ryan Ellis

With expansion next June..this doesn't help Poile with the 3D protection-squeeze?

They are protecting their 4Ds - Josi, Subban, Ekholm and Ellis.  Poile and Laviolette are absolutely ecstatic by their top-4.

It's one of their Fs that will be exposed.  RyJo, Forsberg, Neal are safe.  Final spot being between Smith and Wilson - likely Smith gets it and Wilson will be exposed.

1 minute ago, mll said:

They are protecting their 4Ds - Josi, Subban, Ekholm and Ellis.  Poile and Laviolette are absolutely ecstatic by their top-4.

It's one of their Fs that will be exposed.  RyJo, Forsberg, Neal are safe.  Final spot being between Smith and Wilson - likely Smith gets it and Wilson will be exposed.

Guess that makes some sense. Nash does love their strong D.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

If this is true then we either found a deal for that top six forward and/or Juolevi is the real deal. 

juolevi is the real deal but hes gonna be in ohl this yr but next yr watch out  he may get nine games this yr just to see how he does then another world junior and memmorial cup run will do wonders for his development   in offense, speed and overall defensive game.

2 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/would-the-canucks-trade-alex-edler

Encouraging report.

Like that management isn't satisfied with anything really and are open to all scenarios to improve the team.

what is encouraging about a good player of ours giving a two team list?

have you been paying attention the last 7 years?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I wonder if the Avs would be willing to trade Zadorov.

A bottom pair of Zadorov and Tryamkin would be pretty menacing.

Hutton Tanev

Sbisa Gudbranson

Zadorov Tryamkin

Definitely one of the harder hitting D cores in the league. Not sure how much offense it would provide though. Get them to throw in Grigerenko too.

There's essentially 3 types of trades management could do if Edler is dealt.

1.) Edler for a young promising forward.

- helps us bolster an area of need while sacrificing from the blueline. Pretty much a tit for tat deal. The team would have to replace Edler internally. 

2.) Edler for a package of assets such as a lesser dman replacement+young roster player/prospect+pick

- helps the team get a bit of everything. Depending on who the young roster player/prospect is, the pick can vary from 2nd-5th or maybe not even include a pick if the young player/prospect is real quality.

3.) Edler++ for an upgrade on defense

- ...PK Subban attempt. Would be nice to get this type of deal done but if anything, learned that the team doesn't have the organizational depth to pull off a trade like that and meet the value which opposing GMs would be looking for. Management acknowledged this and simply put aren't in a position to be able to do it. Would discard of the cupboard which has recently begun to restock and would leave the depth empty / take back from the plan over the past 2 years.

...most likely, it'll be 2 of those with the latter not being doable. Wouldn't mind any of the first 2 scenarios but I had to choose, would do #2 just so we keep filling the cupboard and not completely take a loss on the blueline. In the NHL, the most difficult thing to do is build/create a solid defense and doing it from within takes years. Losing Edler for example in a deal for Landeskog (#1 scenario) would be nice but at the same time, would be a huge blow to the defense. Might take 3+ years to recover losing him and in some cases (Edmonton), it just becomes an almost impossible uphill battle to chase. Getting that lesser younger guy who's ready to take on a top 4 role would ease the loss and getting a couple more younger assets on top of that would fit perfectly with the retool/rebuild. Like Deniro said, something like Zadorov+Grigorenko/Bigras+mid/late pick would be a more than sufficient return.

Sucks we don't have Hamhuis anymore since having him would allow a potential move to be made sooner rather than later having that reliable minute eater. Without him, would be tough to ask Hutton/Zadorov to fill in Edler's shoes by committee as they'd see a large spike in workload and there would most certainly be growing pains. Idk, it's going to be tough regardless of what type deal management decides to do and at the end of the day, you hope they at least pull the trigger on something. Knowing the Canucks history/past though, wouldn't at all be surprised if they did nothing and kept Edler seeing his value diminish year by year until he becomes an ineffective  player lol.

at deadline unload

sedins - trade to wings retain half their salary for tartar, 2 firsts and a few prospects 

edler - to ducks for theodore

burrows - to habs for a 3rd

miller - blues or ducks for a 2nd 

hansen - for 1st and 2nd jets 

sbisa - retain 600k trade for a 2nd to jets

frees 28mill in cap  to resign hutton, horvat, tryamkin, guddy and draft or trade for a number 1 center 

next yrs team

tartar                 rodin

eriksson  sutter boesser

virtanen horvat baertchi   

gaunce granlund dorsett 

juolevi tanev

hutton guddy

tryamkin theodore 

stecher pedan

subban 

markstrom

demko

More unsettling BS. I don't believe a word of it and I would be p-ssed if it were to be true.

When are we going to learn to ignore cr-p like this designed to make out we are unhappy with a player. A great player who has borne the physical burden for this team for years now while putting up massive minutes, only to get any mistakes he makes magnified 10 fold by the malcontents on here.

A fit Edler is a beast for us and one of the top Ds in the league.

1 hour ago, CanucksSayEh said:

Doesn't really matter if Edlers replacement can handle the top pair on not, Edler himself doesn't cut it there. If we can get decent value, gotta pull that trigger. 

It would be nice to trade someone who much of the league thinks is still valuable ( for reasons beyond my understanding in Edlers case ) vs players on the cusp of breaking out or players well past their best before date. 

Why say he doesn't cut it, when he has had b-gger all help for the last 4-5 years.

He has carried the physical side of this team on his back since Sami and Ehrhoff left. He has held the D together when it was injury ravaged and Bieksa and Hammer started to wilt, playing almost super human minutes.

Now at last we get him some help and some of you people want to get rid of him. 

We don't have a clue how well Hutton will play this year, Tanev is still more likely to be injured than anyone else on D due to his style of play, Tryamkin and ? may struggle to make the grade due to stamina shortfalls. Guddy will have to be given time to settle in.

EDLER IS STILL OUR TOP D. To say any different is to ignore reality.

Archived