The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Orr: NHL should bring back 2-line offside pass rule

Bobby Orr has a solution to curb injuries and increase creativity in today's NHL: bring back the two-line offside pass rule.

"I think we have to put the center red line (passing rule) back ... (to prevent) injuries and because the game is being played the same now," Orr told Lance Hornby of the Toronto Sun.

"You can pass from your zone all the way to the other line, deflect it in, go get it and shoot it out. Back and forth. If you have to carry that puck out of your end and make a pass, skate with it, it makes it different."

Removed from the rule book following the lost 2004-05 NHL season with a view to creating a faster and more exciting game, the two-line pass rule forced a stoppage in play if a pass originating from inside a team's defensive zone was completed on the opposite side of the center red line, unless the puck crossed the line before the player.

In Orr's view, however, the rule change is no longer accomplishing its goal.

"I don’t think (removing the line) has increased the offence, nor has the trapezoid," he added. "It’s made it a dangerous game, guys flying out of their end, looking for that long stretch pass and bang, they’re being hit. These guys are so much bigger and faster than when I played."

The topic was broached at the 2012 NHL general managers meeting, but was put on the back burner for the time being.

Maybe the game's greatest defenseman and current player agent will be able to put the discussion back on the table.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1079678

2 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Removing the 2-line offside was probably the best decision the NHL made in the last 20 years. Can you image what the game would be like, over-coached as it is, with the offside rule? 

Agreed. The trap for one would make a resurgence.

He's putting the players safety in front of entertainment value ..   he's doing that because he is an empathetic human being who knows the game better than any of us ever will , and that someone is gonna die out there .  

I had a chance to hear him talk about it once during a summit in vancouver . 

While it may not help with goal scoring numbers  , it may save  lives . 

With the size of the players and the speed of the game changing , leagues like the NHL and NFL are going to have to adapt .

like it or not .

5 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Or how about Gretzky.

Unless he's right.  The point is that it may not help offense at all.  

It would be hard to go back though.  That rule changed right in the middle of minor hockey for me, many years before the NHL did it.  The rule always looked wrong on TV during those overlapping years.

The game is getting faster, enforcers/grinders are getting phased out.  Couldn't tell you if reintroducing the 2-line rule would change the game that much other than encourage teams to start picking up enforcers and grinders again.

22 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

The game is getting faster, enforcers/grinders are getting phased out.  Couldn't tell you if reintroducing the 2-line rule would change the game that much other than encourage teams to start picking up enforcers and grinders again.

The salary cap is forcing out the marginal players...as well as the instigator rule, to some extent. 

Since Orr played through injuries in what would be primitive equipment by today's standards. Was one of the most dynamic players be it defence or offence. He's also a player agent, I think he has a pretty good idea of what works, and want's to protect players. 

It would be at least interesting to have it at the ECHL or AHL level to try it? Maybe drop the instigator rule and the trapezoid. 

Just my 2 cents.

Archived