The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Hypothetical)Should Luca Sbisa Have Been a Forward?

MNA

I know it may sound like I'm just spouting out nonsense, and Sbisa probably wouldn't transition to forward at this point in his career, but hypothetically, if Sbisa at an earlier point in his career transitioned to forward, would that have made him a good power forward? We know he can hit and is not afraid to be a bit aggresive, but we have also seen glimpses (although very few) of his offensive capabilities, as he has jumped into the play and lead rushes in the past. As a defenseman, his career plus-minus isn't great(ironically, he was a +5 in last season's struggle). I believe he has a bit of an offensive mindset; with his size and strength, I think he could've been a great power forward.

It would be great if he could improve his defensive game a bit; as previously stated, he wouldn't switch to a forward at this point in his career, but he could be a good puck-moving offensive defenseman if he does improve his defensive game. And a physical OD at that.

Personally, I would love to see him as the forward in an emergency forward situation if Virtanen or Megna or Chaput, etc. couldn't make it from Utica in time.

He did have a stint as a fourth line winger IIRC in his rookie season. I remember reading a game report about it. 

Here it is: https://philabright.com/2009/04/17/sbisa-in-for-carcillo-at-forward/

Sbisa replaced Carcillo for two games in the first round of the playoffs. Can't recall I noticed how well he played in that series (or really remember him at all that year).

20 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He did have a stint as a fourth line winger IIRC in his rookie season. I remember reading a game report about it. 

Here it is: https://philabright.com/2009/04/17/sbisa-in-for-carcillo-at-forward/

Sbisa replaced Carcillo for two games in the first round of the playoffs. Can't recall I noticed how well he played in that series (or really remember him at all that year).

A muppet could replace Carcillo.

Luca Sbisa, top-6 power forward?  That would be interesting, I mean Juice showed shades of it for a stretch (didn't he have several games in a row where he scored off the rush, reminiscent of a forward?) and even Pedan has had time on the wing.  With Luca's puck-rushing ability I could see it work for awhile if he goes on a tear.  Generally speaking, guys who make high-risk plays like him should play forward IMO, so that even if he gets caught trying to make a play or a hit there would be a guy covering for him.

1 hour ago, MNA said:

I know it may sound like I'm just spouting out nonsense, and Sbisa probably wouldn't transition to forward at this point in his career, but hypothetically, if Sbisa at an earlier point in his career transitioned to forward, would that have made him a good power forward? We know he can hit and is not afraid to be a bit aggresive, but we have also seen glimpses (although very few) of his offensive capabilities, as he has jumped into the play and lead rushes in the past. As a defenseman, his career plus-minus isn't great(ironically, he was a +5 in last season's struggle). I believe he has a bit of an offensive mindset; with his size and strength, I think he could've been a great power forward.

It would be great if he could improve his defensive game a bit; as previously stated, he wouldn't switch to a forward at this point in his career, but he could be a good puck-moving offensive defenseman if he does improve his defensive game. And a physical OD at that.

Personally, I would love to see him as the forward in an emergency forward situation if Virtanen or Megna or Chaput, etc. couldn't make it from Utica in time.

Not even gonna read your post. 

Nope.  Sbisa is a good dman and he is only getting better. 

3 hours ago, MNA said:

I really like your idea, he is tough and would be easier for him playing forward, would like to see Sbisa on wing for 10 games..

We have lots of D men now... 

I don't think this is crazy. I can see why one would think he could make a decent forward. He does have flashes of being offensively minded. I like him as a D-man though, and think his ceiling is higher there. He'd be interesting as a big-bodied forward. 

Yeah I'm not sure why he gets dumped on so much... sbisa is not dominating by any stretch but it's not like he is getting burnt all the time for goals again that are solely his fault.

I think for whatever reason when we do not have success some of our fans look for players who do not make a impact as players who are a problem.

When it's simply a lack of impact players being our problem not the supporting cast that make up the bulk of most teams.

Luca sbisa is not truly a problem for us.

Imho

It's the mentality that's hard to break (the natural instinct to protect your own end first before the offensive commitment). I switched from D to F back in Bantam but only as a 4th line defensive forward...so the instincts fit the role. I think if Sbisa was to try it out it would have to be as 3rd/4th line checker or depth forward. There's a TON of those types of players available on the cheap, so his contract says no...he needs to play 5/6 D.

Archived