The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Hypothetical)Should Luca Sbisa Have Been a Forward?

MNA

We should be totally unorthodox and use both Pedan and Sbisa as both forwards and defence. They could rotate in and out and practice both positions. As the season rolled on, they would get better at it. Sounds crazy but that way we wouldn't have to lose Pedan or Biega to waivers.

2 hours ago, MNA said:

Sorry. I knew I was spouting out nonsense. I just wanted to share a idea. 

Thanks anyway. :wacko:

Save a link to this thread and when Sbisa spends some time at foward this season you can remind people that you raised the issue.

In fact, D-men often play a few games at forward and occasionally play very well at both positions. 

The Canucks tried it with Pedan last year and, frankly, Sbisa would be just as good a candidate to make the switch.

You are right that the Canucks could use some more size and physical play up front and it would not surprise me if Sbisa gets a look at 4th line forward this year. It is unlikely to be successful but it could happen. It would also not surprise me to see Larsen get a look at forward so he can be available to play point on the PP.

I am saying any of this is likely, but I agree that they are ideas worth considering.

^^I think so too. We're at risk of losing a good D prospect for nothing on waivers and we have a dearth of 4th line players that can't score and hardly, if any, of them can hit like Sbisa or fight like Pedan..physicality we need. We need to think outside the box here..or find somebody for IR maybe Rodin if he's not 100%

we could waive Burr no one would take him.

Sbisa is good at what he does, once he understands the system.

He is physical. But when he gets what's going on, he can move the puck up the ice.

It's all about playing him on the proper side and giving him a decent partner.

His contract looks weak now but if he played the way he did briefly during the season, he'll be great.

I think it might have been possible,

Sbisa was all set to develop into a decent offensive D-man in the league when the Flyers rushed him in and effectively destroyed his game once and for all,

Your right, we do see flashes of offence and I believe that's what his instinct is to do, but he's so used to being raked over the coals for being out of position that I believe he has the hockey equivalent of battered wife syndrome, 

Had the flyers not rushed him in so young and traumatized him by telling him how awful he was then he might have been a very different player, I'm glad he's been able to make his money regardless

A lot of prospects aren't so lucky Virtannen may end up a grinder only, due to his being rushed, hope he gets a year in the "A" but it may be too late..After a year in the bigs , how can you not feel like you've failed playing on the farm after a whole year on the big club, the time in the minors could have the opposite effect. Even though he is gone, I will  be very interested to watch Mc Cann's career, too many times last year he looked like Jordan Schreider

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

^^I think so too. We're at risk of losing a good D prospect for nothing on waivers and we have a dearth of 4th line players that can't score and hardly, if any, of them can hit like Sbisa or fight like Pedan..physicality we need. We need to think outside the box here..or find somebody for IR maybe Rodin if he's not 100%

we could waive Burr no one would take him.

Are you kidding?

If he's left exposed Burr will be Vegas' first captain, he sets the tone for work ethic and intensity, many teams would take him if the price was right

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

Save a link to this thread and when Sbisa spends some time at foward this season you can remind people that you raised the issue.

In fact, D-men often play a few games at forward and occasionally play very well at both positions. 

The Canucks tried it with Pedan last year and, frankly, Sbisa would be just as good a candidate to make the switch.

You are right that the Canucks could use some more size and physical play up front and it would not surprise me if Sbisa gets a look at 4th line forward this year. It is unlikely to be successful but it could happen. It would also not surprise me to see Larsen get a look at forward so he can be available to play point on the PP.

I am saying any of this is likely, but I agree that they are ideas worth considering.

I agree, anyone mocking this as far fetched  hasn't watched the game very long, there are numerous examples of this kind of thing, And all things considered, the idea makes perfect sense.

I hope they do try,

And why couldn't he make the switch, those of us who have played the game know that center and D are the twi hardest positions to learn, wing is the simplest position in hockey.

While I don't think a full time conversion to forward would be a good idea, the occasional game at forward (for Sbisa) might be an option if our D stay healthy. It would at least allow him to stay fresh if he's pushed out of the top-6 D by others (Tryamkin, Larsen, etc).

And from reading more of the old game reports from his rookie season, it would seem that Sbisa did pretty well at forward (and had two stints that year, one in the regular season and another in the playoffs). He was actually used on the third line sometimes and seemed to be fairly effective. He was getting 2-3 shots on goal per game, lots of offensive zone hits, and generally creating problems for opposition Ds below the goal line.

The one issue he had was learning about the vulnerability wingers face in the offensive zone when they're along the wall and have their backs to opponents. Ovechkin absolutely destroyed Sbisa with a blindside hit. And Sbisa admitted he struggled with learning the "lay of the land" at winger. However, he apparently adjusted and, on a whole, was able to be pretty effective as a rugged, physical winger with good skating and decent puck skills.

So I think the OP has nothing to apologize for in posing the question. And depending on the state of the lineup, there might be situations this coming year (given our improving depth at D and increased overall physicality on the back end) where shifting Sbisa to forward might be a good use of personnel, especially if injuries strike at forward or or overall forward group is lacking size and physicality.

It's hard to say whether he'd have made an effective power forward.   He may have a solid frame, be an excellent skater, play a gritty game, but whether he'd have the necessary finish, the cycle game, etc are question marks -  and in terms of value I think he has more as a tweener blueliner than a gritty bottom six.

In this context there are a number of things imo that don't make that an option.  First, the team has a wealth of depth forwards - they don't necessarily need a bottom six winger.  Second, they've already auditioned Pedan in that dual role, who may be more suited as he appears to have some development to do where his skating (as a defenseman) is concerned (lateral movement, pivots).  Third and perhaps most importantly, Sbisa represents solid depth of/for the blueline, likely more important to this team than adding a depth forward.  I realize your point wasn't to assess the realism of transitioning him at this point - more a hypothetical 'what if' he had been used this way earlier- but for me the 'what if' question I ask is what if Philly hadn't rushed him into the NHL as an 18yr old?  I think he's turned a corner on his development, but you have to wonder what a few years of setback for a teenager thrown in over his head does in the long run.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 3:58 AM, terrible.dee said:

I agree, anyone mocking this as far fetched  hasn't watched the game very long, there are numerous examples of this kind of thing, And all things considered, the idea makes perfect sense.

I hope they do try,

And why couldn't he make the switch, those of us who have played the game know that center and D are the twi hardest positions to learn, wing is the simplest position in hockey.

One I think they should try at wing is Subban. His speed and hockey sense given time might even be a top 6 winger in my mind. With that he would also be able to run the PP.

Archived