The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in D Matt Benning

Wouldn't mind having him. He's a decent prospect and you can't really lose with a free prospect. He's also a Defensive prospect (shoots Right), big, and seems to have good hands.

I'm also not shocked to see the Oilers being on the list. Charelli was the GM when Matthew Benning was drafted, Matthew Benning is from Edmonton (and the hometown thing may come into play), and Matthew Benning may not want to be seen as the "Canucks prospect who was signed because he was the nephew of the GM and not because of his quality of play"... so there is that.

Still though, he'd bolster the Canucks defensive prospect pool and I'm not against that.

If he signs, hope he uses his signing bonus for a nice down filled parka and some warm mittens because its cold in Alaska in the winter where he will most likely play his first pro season.

4 hours ago, Monty said:

Nepotism

Except we need D prospects right now and he's a decent one. Just a bonus that Benning happens to know him well.

If that were the case with this management group we would have drafted Ty Ronning because of his last name.

It's alot different from the days of drafting Morgan Clarke just because he was Ian Clarke's son.

36 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

If he signs, hope he uses his signing bonus for a nice down filled parka and some warm mittens because its cold in Alaska in the winter where he will most likely play his first pro season.

It's not like our prospect pool is brimming with defensive talent. I don't think he'll be in that tough to beat out the likes of Sautner and Negrin.

5 hours ago, Quantum said:

Wouldn't mind having him. He's a decent prospect and you can't really lose with a free prospect... 

...But you CAN lose by maxing out on contracts. 

Don't know enough of this player to state unequivocally that he's not worth it. But on the surface, it seems a little fishy. The Bruins aren't exactly bursting with young D-men, and for whatever reason they let him walk.

I love how fans just automatically assume he's coming here:

1. The tweet said Vancouver OR Edmonton

2. The 2 destinations above are possible destinations, not confirmed destinations

3. The tweeter could just as easily mention Vancouver because of the ties and not actually knowing if that would happen or not. It's the summer and the pot's easy enough to stir while the water's still.

21 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I love how fans just automatically assume he's coming here:

And that when he supposedly does,  that he'll actually be an NHL player. 

Fact is, these unsigned guys rarely amount to anything. 

Archived