The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler or Tanev

VIC_CITY

Edler or Tanev  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sorry for another Edler post but I think this needs to be settled once and for all!

It's only a matter of time before Edler gives me a brain aneurysm. IMO he is a decent 2nd pairing defenseman but he is no where near elite in any area of his game and his brain farts are of the epic proportion. He does score at a higher clip than Tanev, although injuries have limited him to just under 24 points/year over the last 4 seasons. He also hits quite a bit more than Tanev, although nothing like he used to a number of years ago.

Tanev is limited offensively, but has managed just under 19 points over the last 3 seasons (when he became a regular in the Canucks lineup). Perhaps it is unfair to use Edler's season 4 years ago since I'm only using Tanev's last 3 seasons, but I feel it is important because of Edler's consistent injury history, as well as it's one year closer to Edler's career year, when he was in his prime. But back to Tanev. IMO he is bordering on elite defensively, which make up for any offensive deficiencies.

Now, keep in mind this is from my point of view. Lots of Canucks fans see things differently and view Edler as the far superior defenseman. So let's finalize this once and for all. Who you got?!

3 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Sorry for another Edler post but I think this needs to be settled once and for all!

It's only a matter of time before Edler gives me a brain aneurysm. IMO he is a decent 2nd pairing defenseman but he is no where near elite in any area of his game and his brain farts are of the epic proportion. He does score at a higher clip than Tanev, although injuries have limited him to just under 24 points/game over the last 4 seasons. He also hits quite a bit more than Tanev, although nothing like he used to a number of years ago.

Tanev is limited offensively, but has managed just under 19 points over the last 3 seasons (when he became a regular in the Canucks lineup). Perhaps it is unfair to use Edler's season 4 years ago since I'm only using Tanev's last 3 seasons, but I feel it is important because of Edler's consistent injury history, as well as it's one year closer to Edler's career year, when he was in his prime. But back to Tanev. IMO he is bordering on elite defensively, which make up for any offensive deficiencies.

Now, keep in mind this is from my point of view. Lots of Canucks fans see things differently and view Edler as the far superior defenseman. So let's final this once and for all. Who you got?!

If Edler can post 24 points per game I would give him all the money!

Just now, Hortankin said:

Whoever picked Edler must not have watched the team since 2011

OR maybe if we all keep talking about how great Edler is on here one of two things will happen:

1) Edler will stumble across this forum and see how much we love him, inspiring him to have his best season yet!

2) GM's from other teams will see this forum and realize how much they have been overlooking his god given talent, at which point they will trade the farm for Edler!

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Two different players that fill two different roles.

Who's more expendable? 

You'd have to go with Edler, due to age and what we have in the system on the left side vs what we have on the right side

You can compare any two players, regardless of their skillsets. Who would you rather have? Who would you get the most out of in a 60 minute game? Who would give you a better chance of winning? Forget about organizational depth.

Archived