The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler or Tanev

VIC_CITY

Edler or Tanev  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

if it's with the sedins.. you toss out Tanev.. just coz the 2 sedins just glides back to the defensive zone.. or just goes to the bench when the play goes the other way.. seen it too often lol

We'll probably see a lot of Hutton in OT this year. 

• 1 month later...

Well....Edler sure seems intent on making me look stupid haha. He's playing with a ton of confidence so far and making a lot of smart plays with the puck. I can't recall one moment this preseason where I wanted to put my fist through my TV! This is huge! I may have been a little hard on him. Way to go Eddie, keep it up.:towel:

Just now, VIC_CITY said:

Well....Edler sure seems intent on making me look stupid haha. He's playing with a ton of confidence so far and making a lot of smart plays with the puck. I can't recall one moment this preseason where I wanted to put my fist through my TV! This is huge! I may have been a little hard on him. Way to go Eddie, keep it up.:towel:

You did that all on your own :P

Good on you for happily accepting your serving of humble pie though.

3 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

Is it too much to think that Stetcher makes/brings the best out of edler?

If that's the case, Stetcher should.make the team on that alone.

I'm not sure why so many have problems grasping this but... it's a team sport. 

They compliment each other. Edler plays best with an offensively gifted forward who can drive the play and they in turn can do that so well because they have a quality defender in Edler there to back them and compliment them offensively. 

Just now, J.R. said:

I'm not sure why so many have problems grasping this but... it's a team sport. 

They compliment each other. Edler plays best with an offensively gifted forward who can drive the play and they in turn can do that so well because they have a quality defender in Edler there to back them and compliment them offensively. 

True enough

Ok so I'm clearly getting ahead of myself here. But our defense has a chance at being DAMN good this year. If we get 40 points out of a healthy Eddie this year (I know, big if), how big would that be for our organization and on multiple levels. It would allow us to bring the young guys up slowly, we would have a legit 1st pairing with him and Tanev, and it could possibly set us up to make a trade down the road, since our back end is going to be pretty crowded moving forward. 

Side note - I haven't been very impressed with Guddy so far but I have a feeling he wasn't going very hard in the preseason. I sure hope that's the case and we finally get to see that nasty side of his game. 

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Ok so I'm clearly getting ahead of myself here. But our defense has a chance at being DAMN good this year. If we get 40 points out of a healthy Eddie this year (I know, big if), how big would that be for our organization and on multiple levels. It would allow us to bring the young guys up slowly, we would have a legit 1st pairing with him and Tanev, and it could possibly set us up to make a trade down the road, since our back end is going to be pretty crowded moving forward. 

Side note - I haven't been very impressed with Guddy so far but I have a feeling he wasn't going very hard in the preseason. I sure hope that's the case and we finally get to see that nasty side of his game. 

Hutton's improved offensive game is directly related to Gudbranson.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hutton's improved offensive game is directly related to Gudbranson.  

Is it though? He's a young guy that probably worked his butt off this offseason and it's reasonable to expect some natural progression from him due to hard work, experience and the confidence he gained from his rookie season. So I think it's a little premature to say that, especially given those reasons.

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

Is it though? He's a young guy that probably worked his butt off this offseason and it's reasonable to expect some natural progression from him due to hard work, experience and the confidence he gained from his rookie season. So I think it's a little premature to say that, especially given those reasons.

It's up to you to have your own opinion.  Guddy does the heavy stuff, retrieving puck, and playing hard along the walls.  He's a rock on the back end.  Hutton is free to attack, knowing he's covered.  Guddy not only frees up Hutton mentally, he does it physically too.  It's like going into a fight with Brock Lester as your best friend.  You have way more confidence. I think anyway.  

On 8/19/2016 at 8:38 AM, VIC_CITY said:

Sorry for another Edler post but I think this needs to be settled once and for all!

It's only a matter of time before Edler gives me a brain aneurysm. IMO he is a decent 2nd pairing defenseman but he is no where near elite in any area of his game and his brain farts are of the epic proportion. He does score at a higher clip than Tanev, although injuries have limited him to just under 24 points/year over the last 4 seasons. He also hits quite a bit more than Tanev, although nothing like he used to a number of years ago.

Tanev is limited offensively, but has managed just under 19 points over the last 3 seasons (when he became a regular in the Canucks lineup). Perhaps it is unfair to use Edler's season 4 years ago since I'm only using Tanev's last 3 seasons, but I feel it is important because of Edler's consistent injury history, as well as it's one year closer to Edler's career year, when he was in his prime. But back to Tanev. IMO he is bordering on elite defensively, which make up for any offensive deficiencies.

Now, keep in mind this is from my point of view. Lots of Canucks fans see things differently and view Edler as the far superior defenseman. So let's finalize this once and for all. Who you got?!

I have to go with Edler. major bias as he is my favourite Canuck, but based on this preseason, and yes I know it is only preseason, but he led all D in the league in points. Maybe injuries and not playing with the right partner have set him back the last 4 years. I f we get what we have seen so far this year on both sides of the ice then there is no comparison imo. Tanev is great Edler can be a game breaker. 

1 minute ago, bp79 said:

I have to go with Edler. major bias as he is my favourite Canuck, but based on this preseason, and yes I know it is only preseason, but he led all D in the league in points. Maybe injuries and not playing with the right partner have set him back the last 4 years. I f we get what we have seen so far this year on both sides of the ice then there is no comparison imo. Tanev is great Edler can be a game breaker. 

I agree.  Edler is the better player.  Maybe Tanev has more trade value though?  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's up to you to have your own opinion.  Guddy does the heavy stuff, retrieving puck, and playing hard along the walls.  He's a rock on the back end.  Hutton is free to attack, knowing he's covered.  Guddy not only frees up Hutton mentally, he does it physically too.  It's like going into a fight with Brock Lester as your best friend.  You have way more confidence. I think anyway.  

I eat Brock Lesters for breakfast.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree.  Edler is the better player.  Maybe Tanev has more trade value though?  

Right now I would say maybe. they are both on great contracts so that's a wash, but am I the only one who saw the old Edler especially when paired with Troy he hit he dished, and I never really saw him make any terrible blunders. I guess the measuring stick will be starting on the 15th, and who he is paired with. If they pair him with Tanev and he regresses maybe time for a switch in partners? Just my opinion which is usually wrong.

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

....Brock who? Lol

2 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Right now I would say maybe. they are both on great contracts so that's a wash, but am I the only one who saw the old Edler especially when paired with Troy he hit he dished, and I never really saw him make any terrible blunders. I guess the measuring stick will be starting on the 15th, and who he is paired with. If they pair him with Tanev and he regresses maybe time for a switch in partners? Just my opinion which is usually wrong.

Maybe Edler tries to be too offensive minded with Tanev, because Tanev brings nothing offensive?  Stecher's offensive talents might take the pressure off Edler?

Archived