The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler or Tanev

VIC_CITY

Edler or Tanev  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, VIC_CITY said:

You can compare any two players, regardless of their skillsets. Who would you rather have? Who would you get the most out of in a 60 minute game? Who would give you a better chance of winning? Forget about organizational depth.

IF they we're both canadian and we were looking for team canada, i would take Tanev, since there are better all around options to fill Edlers role.

But organizational depth is important, because for the canucks it's not just about winning now.  If we lose Tanev, we don't have anyone to fill that hole in the top 4 right handed side now or really any time in the near future.  But if we lose Edler, we have Hutton, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Pedan, and even Sbisa that can help fill that hole.  So to Vancouver Tanev is more important.  To another team with different needs it might be a different story.

39 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Sorry for another Edler post but I think this needs to be settled once and for all!

It's only a matter of time before Edler gives me a brain aneurysm. IMO he is a decent 2nd pairing defenseman but he is no where near elite in any area of his game and his brain farts are of the epic proportion. He does score at a higher clip than Tanev, although injuries have limited him to just under 24 points/year over the last 4 seasons. He also hits quite a bit more than Tanev, although nothing like he used to a number of years ago.

Tanev is limited offensively, but has managed just under 19 points over the last 3 seasons (when he became a regular in the Canucks lineup). Perhaps it is unfair to use Edler's season 4 years ago since I'm only using Tanev's last 3 seasons, but I feel it is important because of Edler's consistent injury history, as well as it's one year closer to Edler's career year, when he was in his prime. But back to Tanev. IMO he is bordering on elite defensively, which make up for any offensive deficiencies.

Now, keep in mind this is from my point of view. Lots of Canucks fans see things differently and view Edler as the far superior defenseman. So let's final this once and for all. Who you got?!

It's hard to take this poll seriously when you as the OP have an agenda against a player in the poll.

15 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

IF they we're both canadian and we were looking for team canada, i would take Tanev, since there are better all around options to fill Edlers role.

But organizational depth is important, because for the canucks it's not just about winning now.  If we lose Tanev, we don't have anyone to fill that hole in the top 4 right handed side now or really any time in the near future.  But if we lose Edler, we have Hutton, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Pedan, and even Sbisa that can help fill that hole.  So to Vancouver Tanev is more important.  To another team with different needs it might be a different story.

Let's hope this is true...

6 minutes ago, ice orca said:

It's hard to take this poll seriously when you as the OP have an agenda against a player in the poll.

Well I admit my stance and the fact that many others will disagree. You're welcome to submit evidence that debunks my claims/theories and vote for the other guy...

Bottom line is I'm curious what the number of votes will look like. I think it's safe to say that anyone voting will have seen enough of both players to form their own opinion regardless of what I typed in my post.

Just now, jmahyoung said:

In terms of trade value? Tanev definitely higher, mostly due to his age and history.

Not what I was getting at, but yes Tanev would definitely hold more trade value given his age/contract status.

I'm asking which player gives you a better chance at winning. No variables. You have to build your team around one player, for one game. Who is it, Tanev or Edler?

3 minutes ago, whytelight said:

Question is:

Are we a better or worse team without Edler or Tanev in exchange for a 60-70 point big young forward?

IMO, that depends on how ready Hutton and Tryamkin look. Personally I don't see it until AT LEAST the TDL. Even then, I think it's more of a next year move.

14 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Not what I was getting at, but yes Tanev would definitely hold more trade value given his age/contract status.

I'm asking which player gives you a better chance at winning. No variables. You have to build your team around one player, for one game. Who is it, Tanev or Edler?

You mean 1:1 nhl style? I'd take Edler, he can score. You can't win with only defence.

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

Sorry for another Edler post but I think this needs to be settled once and for all!

No, no it doesn't. They don't have to be directly compared - and it would be impossible to do so anyway since they're totally different style defencemen.

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

You can compare any two players, regardless of their skillsets. Who would you rather have? Who would you get the most out of in a 60 minute game? Who would give you a better chance of winning? Forget about organizational depth.

If you want to compare them then you have to expressly detail the criteria you're comparing them by. Perhaps you could then weight those areas to see who might take the overall cake, but I can see by your first post your hardly taking the scientific approach to this.

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Offence, Edler

Defence, Tanev

who to keep, depends

That was the punchline for the old joke, "What does 90 year old wear to the opera?"

Anyways, won't be settled by us, and the question will continue for years after they are both gone.

regards,  G.

36 minutes ago, J.R. said:

IMO, that depends on how ready Hutton and Tryamkin look. Personally I don't see it until AT LEAST the TDL. Even then, I think it's more of a next year move.

I disagree I think we could afford to trade one of them for a scoring forward.

1 hour ago, whytelight said:

Question is:

Are we a better or worse team without Edler or Tanev in exchange for a 60-70 point big young forward?

We are better with Edler and a young forward like Sam Reinhart or Leon Draisatl.  Love to see Tanev traded for an elite (young) centre.  

44 minutes ago, oldnews said:

or and

I'm glad at least some people know what a D pairing is....

In my opinion Edler and Tanev are the most deserving of top minutes of all VAN D in recent history. They both worked their way up and earned their time. And we're lucky they work well together, which is not always the case.

For those familiar with the history of this team, think for a moment the luck that was required to get these two players. 

Archived