The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Rangers sign F Jimmy Vesey [2 year ELC]

The CBA needs to fix this stupid rule. If you don't sign with the team that drafted you, you re enter the draft. Simple as that, as a young inexperienced player that hasn't played 1 NHL game, should not be allowed to pick where he wants to play. He hasn't earned that right yet.

How could the NHL let Vesey get what he wants? Is it that hard to make a college player wait until he's 27 to enter UFA status or even just stick them back in the draft? Vesey is a spoiled little brat who just screwed 2 franchises over (NSH/BUF) better keep his head up playing these teams

30 minutes ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Middle finger to Nashville and Buffalo

Nashville got a 3rd round pick out of it and Vesey was a third round pick so I don't think they got screwed up much especially since the dude basically developed himself in the college system rather than through the Preds farm system and using their resources.

But yeah, a big middle finger to Buffalo.

34 minutes ago, khay said:

Nashville got a 3rd round pick out of it and Vesey was a third round pick so I don't think they got screwed up much especially since the dude basically developed himself in the college system rather than through the Preds farm system and using their resources.

No, apparently he went to the Preds development camps. He used them, straight up.

25 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

Started off with not signing with the team that drafted him.

So that's hype? That's being a total bitch but I can't exactly blame him. He took advantage of this "flaw", and he'll play pretty much where ever he wants now. That's not hype. I would merely call that hype. 

Besides, any team would want a free, hobey baker winner prospect right? Though just cause he's a hobey baker winner, he's not a sure thing NHL'er. In fact, in the last 20 years, out of all the hobey baker award winners, only 8 became legit NHL'ers with many having 2-3 decent years in the NHL which I'm not exactly counting. Only 3 became elite players at the NHL level. I left out Eichel for obvious reasons. The rest are fringe AHL'ers, or borderline 4th liners. That's not me denouncing Vesey in anyway but I'm just saying people shouldn't think that Hobey Baker winners are going to translate to the NHL level with breeze. 

Media outlets, particularly in Toronto hyped the crap out of this guy. Articles everywhere mentioning Toronto and Vesey in the same text. Toronto reporters were writing articles as if it was a sure thing that this Vesey guy would be signing there. 

Leaf fans are now probably like "Oh we don't need him anyway, he's trash, they can take this garbo" after their media went bat shiz crazy about some guy who made a douchebag move to the team that drafted him and undeserving IMO won the Hobey Baker award.

I honestly hope him the best. I really don't care what happens but I'm not putting too much into this.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't get this Vessey.  If he would have signed with Nashville three seasons ago, he would be into the big money contact right now. He has really cost himself big money.  For a college kid, he seems actually pretty stupid.  

I don't think going finishing college was a bad move, it was probably the right one in the long term. Plus it gave him the ability to choose his team! I get that people are mad about it but if the rules let allow it, you take advantage of it. 

Great move Vesey!

2 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I don't think going finishing college was a bad move, it was probably the right one in the long term. Plus it gave him the ability to choose his team! I get that people are mad about it but if the rules let allow it, you take advantage of it. 

Great move Vesey!

I'm not mad at all.  My point is strictly money.  He gave up three huge earning years, that he will never get back.  He will be 26 coming out of his .eLC now.  He signs a bridge deal, and he isn't a UFA until he's friggin 30!  He has cost himself literally millions.  

54 minutes ago, khay said:

?

Teams are not allowed to sign players but they can advise them.  Scott Nichol, director of player development, has been working closely with him ever since he was drafted.  It's several weekly contacts with numerous trips to Boston - they do video review of his games etc.  It's a lot of time invested to develop him.  He attended all their development camps (on his own dime re NCAA rules).  Last year he even stayed longer to work with their strength and conditioning coaches - while also helping out at one of their hockey camps.   No reason for them to think he wouldn't sign.  When Nashville was in Boston - he was at the games.

Archived