The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Rangers sign F Jimmy Vesey [2 year ELC]

1 hour ago, pluralsight said:

Finally, the saga ends. Sick of hearing about this kid. 

No surprise that the Rangers got him, they seem to land a lot of the touted UFAs from the NCAA and other leagues. Matt Gilroy, Mats Zuccarello and now Vesey.

Gilroy didn't turn out as well as they had hoped compared to Zucs

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I'm not mad at all.  My point is strictly money.  He gave up three huge earning years, that he will never get back.  He will be 26 coming out of his .eLC now.  He signs a bridge deal, and he isn't a UFA until he's friggin 30!  He has cost himself literally millions.  

I guess if all you care about is more millions to yourself. I feel like after the first 3 or 4 you probably don't need much more than that and you can live pretty comfortably. He now has options when his hockey career is over or if he has a career ending injury. I also doubt that he'll sign a bridge contract at that age considering he should be in or near his prime at age 25. At that point a team will want to double down on him for the next 5 years if he's any good.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm not mad at all.  My point is strictly money.  He gave up three huge earning years, that he will never get back.  He will be 26 coming out of his .eLC now.  He signs a bridge deal, and he isn't a UFA until he's friggin 30!  He has cost himself literally millions.  

He'll be 24.  His ELC is only for 2 years.

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He was draft eligible in 2011 but was not selected that year but only the year after.  There was no guarantee that he would become a player.  He wasn't a high profile player.  2012/13 was 18pts in 27 games.  2013/14 was 22pts in 31 games.  He would have been in the AHL earning ~70K.

He came into his own only in his 3rd year (2014/15) and there he could have decided to become a pro.  He explained in the Player's Tribune why he wanted to play that final year with his team.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

NYR better hope he's not another Matt Gilroy. 

Even if he doesn't become a star in the league, NYR will still look like a winner as they paid very little in terms of potential and lost no assets in doing so.

I'm keeping an eye on his Twitter and Instagram accounts.  The insults are only starting to trickle in so far.

I'm going to watch an internet stream of the first Rags vs. Preds game.  Unless he gets put into the AHL by then, it should be entertaining.

Wanted Buffalo to sign him but happy Boston, Toronto, and Chicago didn't get him. Funny all those teams brought their stars to meet with Vesey and new York just had to bring AV. The AV factor probably played into it, the guy knows how to develop players right.

I wonder what this means for Kane and/or Hudler.

1 hour ago, ItsMillerTime said:

What an idiot. NYR are going to be a crap team in a couple of years.

He doesn't care.  He just wants the best chance to put up points so he can make the most money on his next contract.  He's a zero character kid.  

Archived