The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Base Jumper Films His Own Death Working for GoPro

nucklehead

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

So, by this logic, it is better to die at, say 24, than to live another 50 or 60 years? Don't buy this argument. Surely there are other things to love that are just as rewarding and a whole lot less dangerous, and that allow a person to live a rich, full life with partners and friends and maybe children of one's own. Jumping off a mountain, knowing there's a good chance of ending up as a pizza on jagged rocks, is just stupid. And to say, well, he died doing what he loved, does nothing to fill the void of those who loved and cared about him. He who dies doing what he loved is still dead.

Sounds like you're asking others to live by your standards of a rich & fulfilling life. Watch the second video, where McConkey reads a letter he wrote in the 8th grade. The man died doing what made his life rewarding, what does it matter if he was 39 or 69, and who are you to say what's the right way to live?

I've got news for you, he who lives dies. I'd rather die with a smile on my face, doing what makes me happy. For some that's living a life with kids & grandkids around the table, for others it's jumping off a mountain with the wind ripping past your face. Different strokes for different folks.

1 minute ago, falcon45ca said:

Sounds like you're asking others to live by your standards of a rich & fulfilling life. Watch the second video, where McConkey reads a letter he wrote in the 8th grade. The man died doing what made his life rewarding, what does it matter if he was 39 or 69, and who are you to say what's the right way to live?

I've got news for you, he who lives dies. I'd rather die with a smile on my face, doing what makes me happy. For some that's living a life with kids & grandkids around the table, for others it's jumping off a mountain with the wind ripping past your face. Different strokes for different folks.

Not at all. Everyone can live however he or she chooses, but I can certainly express my opinion that to jump off a mountain is stupid. I am not telling anyone how to live; I am merely providing an alternate perspective that is no less valid than your own by describing an alternative to challenging death, and losing.

18 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Not at all. Everyone can live however he or she chooses, but I can certainly express my opinion that to jump off a mountain is stupid. I am not telling anyone how to live; I am merely providing an alternate perspective that is no less valid than your own by describing an alternative to challenging death, and losing.

Haha, I think you're missing the point.

There is no alternative perspective to mine, unless a person is living a life that causes malicious pain to others (murderers, rapists, etc.).

You want to jump off mountains? You want grandkids? You want to be a bachelor? You want to be a curmudgeon? Whatever makes you happy. I'll never judge another for living a life they find fulfilling. 

1 hour ago, gerry35 said:

There really is no good reason to do such a thing, it doesn't benefit society in any way. Fishermen bring in food to feed people, and the guys in the oil industry bring us one of the most valuable commodities that everyone uses every day (even the hypocritical anti oil people). With these extreme sports guys it's all about glorification of themselves.

I could say the same thing about literally any other sport, but I'm only going to use the examples Jager used. Football and F1 racing are extremely dangerous and you can seriously get hurt or die. But do those sports benefit society in any way either? It isn't just extreme sports that are like this.

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I hear you,  but how many sketchy things/near misses have you recorded that would never have been before your camera was installed? 

I don't know but I love watching accident videos on YouTube. for some reason they all seem to be from Russia though. After watching a ton of them I have deduced that no one in Russia receives any kind of formal drivers training. I sense a huge business opportunity there lol

6 hours ago, gerry35 said:

There really is no good reason to do such a thing, it doesn't benefit society in any way. Fishermen bring in food to feed people, and the guys in the oil industry bring us one of the most valuable commodities that everyone uses every day (even the hypocritical anti oil people). With these extreme sports guys it's all about glorification of themselves.

That would be a fair argument... if the men and women working on fishing boats and oil rigs (and other workplaces of the same ilk) were actually doing it for the betterment of society, and not for the large sums of money they make doing such work.

Alas, knowing people in both industries... that is not the case for most.  I respect people with the cajones to go out there and do that kind of work.  But let's not kid ourselves and say that they aren't out there doing it for the money.

People are willing to do dangerous things for money.  That doesn't make them stupid.

22 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Really gentlemen 

You throw yourself out of an airplane with the intention of skimming meters over the earth at terminal velocity with cute little fabric wings for the sole intention of a cool gopro video

It's inevitably going to happen

It's not much different than smoking while fueling up.

Do you really think his main goal was to look cool? The reason he recorded it could be one of many, but recording it was definitely not the reason for why he jumped . They're a different breed of person than you and I. 

It's no different than mountain climbing or sky diving. People do it to push their limits. They do it for the experience and the adrenaline. People don't smoke and fuel up for those same reasons. That's such a ridiculous comparison.

Archived