The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

through life's storms

smithers joe

our ship sailed to sitka, alaska and then on to kodiak and adak, in the aleutian islands. as we sailed south towards hawaii, we encountered a fierce storm.

the storm was called a stern sea, because the waves built up at the stern of the ship. they gently built up and then, they dropped away.it was like the ship fell 2 stories.

our jeep was lashed down, but was torn away and thrown into the ocean.

our mortar hatch covers, each 20 feet long and 3 feet wide, took 4 men to move. the storm picked them up like match sticks and thew them to the ocean floor. 

we were all to scared to be sick. the engine room reported that we had done an unheard of 45 degree roll.

a seaman came down to our mess and told us, we lost our mast. we didn't believe him but sure enough, our mast was laying horizontally across our ship. only the radar cables kept us from losing it completely.

eventually, we limped into victoria and dry dock.

if any of us had gone up on deck that day, we would have been thrown into the sea.

we didn't make it to hawaii that time..

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Went thru a similar experience. Only hadda crew of two, clever professor, farm girl, ol' rich couple, & a moovie star! Got shipwrecked..lucky got the 'net.

I'll bet the millionaire and his wife learned that money can't buy happiness. 

Life lesson.

What compares to the power the Seas and Oceans !

On 2016-08-21 at 4:30 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Went thru a similar experience. Only hadda crew of two, clever professor, farm girl, ol' rich couple, & a moovie star! Got shipwrecked..lucky got the 'net.

No joke new two girls who were BFF's and were named Ginger and MaryAnne,  and yes Ginger had red hair too. Pulled off the whole cast once for Halloween, good times : )

5 hours ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

What compares to the power the Seas and Oceans !

No joke new two girls who were BFF's and were named Ginger and MaryAnne,  and yes Ginger had red hair too. Pulled off the whole cast once for Halloween, good times : )

Funny when chatting here, it always seemed you were adrift on an isle :^)

19 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Always hadda' thing for 'dat farm girl...

I met her briefly in the late 90's, when I was working for the Variety Club telethon, and got to chat for a few minutes.  What a sweet person.

8 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

So, she wasn't ACTING?! Y'shoulda been 3 decades quicker!

Sorry if my brain is fuzzy with the cold I am suffering from, but I don't think I understand what you are trying to say here.

If you meant that I should have seen her in the 60's, I was a little young then (or non-existent, depending how far back you wanna go) :)

Not that I would disagree with you if that was your point ::D  Ahhhhhhh.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 1:46 PM, smithers joe said:

our ship sailed to sitka, alaska and then on to kodiak and adak, in the aleutian islands. as we sailed south towards hawaii, we encountered a fierce storm.

the storm was called a stern sea, because the waves built up at the stern of the ship. they gently built up and then, they dropped away.it was like the ship fell 2 stories.

our mortar hatch covers, each 20 feet long and 3 feet wide, took 4 men to move. the storm picked them up like match sticks and thew them to the ocean floor. 

we were all to scared to be sick. the engine room reported that we had done an unheard of 45 degree roll.

a seaman came down to our mess and told us, we lost our mast. we didn't believe him but sure enough, our mast was laying horizontally across our ship. only the radar cables kept us from losing it completely.

if any of us had gone up on deck that day, we would have been thrown into the sea.

Is this an actual account of your travels across the Pacific, smithers joe?

Were you in the Navy? Did you get a chance to sail over the Mariana Trench and stare into the ink blank darkness of its 35,000+ ft. depth?

Did you see any odd creatures cresting the waves during your sojourn?

On 8/21/2016 at 2:46 PM, smithers joe said:

Nice post Smithers.  Based on the post and the title of the post it looks like it's poetry describing the trials of life.  Please forgive me if I am mistaken. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Is this an actual account of your travels across the Pacific, smithers joe?

Were you in the Navy? Did you get a chance to sail over the Mariana Trench and stare into the ink blank darkness of it's 35,000+ ft. depth?

Did you see any odd creatures cresting the waves during your sojourn?

yes, navy, 57 to 62. most of our travels were between alaska and hawaii and up the coast of usa and canada. i missed 2 trips to japan. no to the trench, but sailed through the beautiful emerald waters of midway island. several trips to hawaii. 

school of whales and other sea creatures. we did d day maneuvers with the american fleet. they like to relive their glory days..i sailed on a mine sweeper then and we went and swept the harbour for mines. then the american fleet did their thing..8 americans killed during the practise. apparently that was a small number.

48 minutes ago, Canuck_Fan_52 said:

Nice post Smithers.  Based on the post and the title of the post it looks like it's poetry describing the trials of life.  Please forgive me if I am mistaken. 

in some ways yes..we all thought we were going to die..that was a trial in my life..other ways, just a play on words.

16 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

yes, navy, 57 to 62. most of our travels were between alaska and hawaii and up the coast of usa and canada. i missed 2 trips to japan. no to the trench, but sailed through the beautiful emerald waters of midway island. several trips to hawaii. 

school of whales and other sea creatures. we did d day maneuvers with the american fleet. they like to relive their glory days..i sailed on a mine sweeper then and we went and swept the harbour for mines. then the american fleet did their thing..8 americans killed during the practise. apparently that was a small number.

That's awesome. Thank you for sharing those experiences.

Archived