The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Prust with the Leafs

elvis15

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Yeah - he basically went from the definition of a tough, character veteran protecting his teammates, to, "Eff these guys".

I think his family situation - having to live so far from his wife - really weighed on him. When he got to Utica, he played very well, and by all accounts was a great team-guy. Toronto will be a much better situation for him.

I'll preface my comments by saying that I like Brandon Prust, and always have, even when Rypper was ripping him new ones.

D-money's post is a segway for my comments...

IMO, players, for the most part, don't fall off the cliff from one season to the next unless it's something physical (and unless your name is Radim Vrbata...and for all I know, Vrbata could have been fighting an undisclosed injury all of last season). 

Prust suffered a high ankle injury (one of the worst injuries a player can suffer) early in the season from which he never recovered.  The injury is brutal because you can play through it, but saps you of any skating strength, rendering you almost useless.  Couple this with conditioning falling off because there is only limited type of dryland training you can do, and for a guy like Prust, whose skating is average at best, this type of injury is the kiss of death.  What he showed during his short stint with Utica was that he still has a little something-something, even though he was playing with a blown tire.

A guy doesn't go from having the heart of a lion in the jungle to the lion in Wizard of Oz overnight, either.  IMO, Prust was most likely frustrated that he couldn't contribute the way he wanted to, which may have been the reason for him stating the kids need to stick up for themselves since he wasn't capable of it.  And I am a fan of vets calling out the kids when the kids are not carrying the water like they're supposed to...I have a new-found respect for Burrows for saying what he did about Virtanen, and I liked it when the Sedins called out the kids as well.

So that's the counter-perspective to all those who thought Prust quit on the team.  Me, I saw one guy quit on the team and his name was Radim Vrbata.

28 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

I'll preface my comments by saying that I like Brandon Prust, and always have, even when Rypper was ripping him new ones.

IMO, players, for the most part, don't fall off the cliff from one season to the next unless it's something physical (and unless your name is Radim Vrbata...and for all I know, Vrbata could have been fighting an undisclosed injury all of last season). 

Prust suffered a high ankle injury (one of the worst injuries a player can suffer) early in the season from which he never recovered.  The injury is brutal because you can play through it, but saps you of any skating strength, rendering you almost useless.  Couple this with conditioning falling off because there is only limited type of dryland training you can do, and for a guy like Prust, whose skating is average at best, this type of injury is the kiss of death.  What he showed during his short stint with Utica was that he still has a little something-something, even though he was playing with a blown tire.

A guy doesn't go from having the heart of a lion in the jungle to the lion in Wizard of Oz overnight, either.  IMO, Prust was most likely frustrated that he couldn't contribute the way he wanted to, which may have been the reason for him stating the kids need to stick up for themselves since he wasn't capable of it.  And I am a fan of vets calling out the kids when the kids are not carrying the water like they're supposed to...I have a new-found respect for Burrows for saying what he did about Virtanen, and I liked it when the Sedins called out the kids as well.

So that's the counter-perspective to all those who thought Prust quit on the team.  Me, I saw one guy quit on the team and his name was Radim Vrbata.

While he did get injured, and it was brutal, his comments regarding the kids sticking up for themselves was a tad strange. I agree that the young players need to manage themselves out on the ice, for sure.

Prust's comments seemingly came across as passing the buck on one of the key factors that he was brought in for. "Giving the young guys a safer work environment", as per Benning's comments upon trading for him.

It kinda took the thrust out of Prust.

1 hour ago, HK Phooey said:

I agree with this almost in it's entirety.  The one question I'd have - which I can't recall the answer to -was whether he made the comments about the young guys sticking up for themselves before or after the injury - seems to me he was healthy at the time, but not certain.  The other thing I'd question is whether he needs to state that publicly to the type of media circling in and out of Vancouver - perhaps better said in the locker room, but whatever - it's water under the bridge.

He played very well to start the season - and he answered the bell with frequency - which is no light task for a middleweight (at best) in the NHL.  Got to have respect for what he and Dorsett do - and he also made a good complement (aside from the protection) for McCann et al early in the season.

I think precisely the same kind of reasonable, contextual thinking should be extended to Higgins - who had dealt with repeated injuries (ankle, infections, etc) and last year, likewise the timing and severity was simply too much.  It's annoying to listen to all the disposable sentiment around a player like him who played and produced way above his terms for the majority of his time here and was the kind of complementary/secondary player that helped pushed the team to the top.  It's easy to sit on a couch and criticize players that have suffered setbacks/injuries and dump on them, - when it's players like this, it's particularly ignorant imo.  

I understand the frustration/disappointment of fans - last year was difficult - but the reality is that very few players have heatlhy careers start to finish, and there are serious quality competitors waiting to take their spots.  Didn't really have much time to gain loyalty to a player like Prust, and he may have tested the small amount of affinity he had - but in fairness to him, as you pointed out, the type of injury he had could derail anyone's season - it just happened that the past few years these injuries have been almost exclusively to veterans, and it's left the wrong impression of their effectiveness as players imo, and left the young guys with long, tough seasons to navigate.

However, Prust is now potentially a Leaf - so he can flat out suck it.

1 hour ago, HK Phooey said:

Bang on.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I agree with this almost in it's entirety.  The one question I'd have - which I can't recall the answer to -was whether he made the comments about the young guys sticking up for themselves before or after the injury - seems to me he was healthy at the time, but not certain.  The other thing I'd question is whether he needs to state that publicly to the type of media circling in and out of Vancouver - perhaps better said in the locker room, but whatever - it's water under the bridge.

He played very well to start the season - and he answered the bell with frequency - which is no light task for a middleweight (at best) in the NHL.  Got to have respect for what he and Dorsett do - and he also made a good complement (aside from the protection) for McCann et al early in the season.

I think precisely the same kind of reasonable, contextual thinking should be extended to Higgins - who had dealt with repeated injuries (ankle, infections, etc) and last year, likewise the timing and severity was simply too much.  It's annoying to listen to all the disposable sentiment around a player like him who played and produced way above his terms for the majority of his time here and was the kind of complementary/secondary player that helped pushed the team to the top.  It's easy to sit on a couch and criticize players that have suffered setbacks/injuries and dump on them, - when it's players like this, it's particularly ignorant imo.  

I understand the frustration/disappointment of fans - last year was difficult - but the reality is that very few players have heatlhy careers start to finish, and there are serious quality competitors waiting to take their spots.  Didn't really have much time to gain loyalty to a player like Prust, and he may have tested the small amount of affinity he had - but in fairness to him, as you pointed out, the type of injury he had could derail anyone's season - it just happened that the past few years these injuries have been almost exclusively to veterans, and it's left the wrong impression of their effectiveness as players imo, and left the young guys with long, tough seasons to navigate.

However, Prust is now potentially a Leaf - so he can flat out suck it.

What remains to be seen is whether too much rust will cause him to bust, which will negate any thrust or bloodlust.

But as Canucks fans we must trust that JB was just to let Prust hit the dust.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What remains to be seen is whether too much rust will cause him to bust, which will negate any thrust or bloodlust.

But as Canucks fans we must trust that JB was just to let Prust hit the dust.

This would have all been solved if we'd just drafted Karlsson :lol:

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't follow (shocker I know).

Draft Hodgson Karlsson and we don't trade the former for Kassian and eventually Prust. 

We also have a far better D-core and the Sedins are probably still closer to 1PPG+. 

Just look how depressing that is :lol:

Just now, J.R. said:

Draft Hodgson Karlsson and we don't trade the former for Kassian and eventually Prust. 

We also have a far better D-core and the Sedins are probably still closer to 1PPG+. 

Just look how depressing that is :lol:

I see. That is depressing. Well, I believe wholeheartedly that Juolevi will be a fantastic defenseman who will amaze and astonish for years to come.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I see. That is depressing. Well, I believe wholeheartedly that Juolevi will be a fantastic defenseman who will amaze and astonish for years to come.

Yup. And we almost certainly don't draft him 5th overall with an Edler/Karlsson 1st pair.

What I could do with a time machine though...

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Yup. And we almost certainly don't draft him 5th overall with an Edler/Karlsson 1st pair.

What I could do with a time machine though...

Same. I would have gotten laid waaayyy more (meaning at least once) in high school.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While he did get injured, and it was brutal, his comments regarding the kids sticking up for themselves was a tad strange. I agree that the young players need to manage themselves out on the ice, for sure.

Prust's comments seemingly came across as passing the buck on one of the key factors that he was brought in for. "Giving the young guys a safer work environment", as per Benning's comments upon trading for him.

It kinda took the thrust out of Prust.

:(

Archived