The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Prust with the Leafs

elvis15

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I agree with this almost in it's entirety.  The one question I'd have - which I can't recall the answer to -was whether he made the comments about the young guys sticking up for themselves before or after the injury - seems to me he was healthy at the time, but not certain.  The other thing I'd question is whether he needs to state that publicly to the type of media circling in and out of Vancouver - perhaps better said in the locker room, but whatever - it's water under the bridge.

He played very well to start the season - and he answered the bell with frequency - which is no light task for a middleweight (at best) in the NHL.  Got to have respect for what he and Dorsett do - and he also made a good complement (aside from the protection) for McCann et al early in the season.

I think precisely the same kind of reasonable, contextual thinking should be extended to Higgins - who had dealt with repeated injuries (ankle, infections, etc) and last year, likewise the timing and severity was simply too much.  It's annoying to listen to all the disposable sentiment around a player like him who played and produced way above his terms for the majority of his time here and was the kind of complementary/secondary player that helped pushed the team to the top.  It's easy to sit on a couch and criticize players that have suffered setbacks/injuries and dump on them, - when it's players like this, it's particularly ignorant imo.  

I understand the frustration/disappointment of fans - last year was difficult - but the reality is that very few players have heatlhy careers start to finish, and there are serious quality competitors waiting to take their spots.  Didn't really have much time to gain loyalty to a player like Prust, and he may have tested the small amount of affinity he had - but in fairness to him, as you pointed out, the type of injury he had could derail anyone's season - it just happened that the past few years these injuries have been almost exclusively to veterans, and it's left the wrong impression of their effectiveness as players imo, and left the young guys with long, tough seasons to navigate.

However, Prust is now potentially a Leaf - so he can flat out suck it.

If I recall correctly, Prust made those comments about the kids sticking up for themselves after his injury and during the time he was being benched or being scratched from the lineup in favor of Virtanen and McCann.  It all came at the time when he was pouting about not being in the lineup vs. the NYR in January 2016, to which Willie backed off and inserted him in the lineup only to be the goat on Zucarello's goal.  So the timing of his comments made him look bad.

And I agree completely about giving Higgins the same considerations (re: injuries).  The only other fault for Higgins (aside from broken foot that cost him conditioning) was father time.

However, when you're 30-something and the team decides to go on a youth movement, you're going to be a line-up casualty, especially if you can't stay healthy.  

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While he did get injured, and it was brutal, his comments regarding the kids sticking up for themselves was a tad strange. I agree that the young players need to manage themselves out on the ice, for sure.

Prust's comments seemingly came across as passing the buck on one of the key factors that he was brought in for. "Giving the young guys a safer work environment", as per Benning's comments upon trading for him.

It kinda took the thrust out of Prust.

...and from what I recall, the timing was bad.

2 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

If I recall correctly, Prust made those comments about the kids sticking up for themselves after his injury and during the time he was being benched or being scratched from the lineup in favor of Virtanen and McCann.  It all came at the time when he was pouting about not being in the lineup vs. the NYR in January 2016, to which Willie backed off and inserted him in the lineup only to be the goat on Zucarello's goal.  So the timing of his comments made him look bad.

And I agree completely about giving Higgins the same considerations (re: injuries).  The only other fault for Higgins (aside from broken foot that cost him conditioning) was father time.

However, when you're 30-something and the team decides to go on a youth movement, you're going to be a line-up casualty, especially if you can't stay healthy.  

Thanks - that seems right - I forgot about his pouting about not being in the lineup - that was kind of a turning point for me where I stopped giving a crap about him as a Canuck and couldn't really care less if they waived him or not.

1 hour ago, Moonshinefe said:

If Prust makes their team and breaks 20 pts I'd be shocked

Considering he hasn't cracked 20 since 2010-11, yeah.

However, him making the team and being a valuable bottom-6 guy with 15 points is certainly reasonable.

• 1 month later...

TSN has a video up today about how Prust is giving Leaf rookies a few fighting tips. 

So funny. He comes to clubs with his fighting tips then disappears during actual games, letting his teammates fight for themselves.

2 minutes ago, Slegr said:

TSN has a video up today about how Prust is giving Leaf rookies a few fighting tips. 

So funny. He comes to clubs with his fighting tips then disappears during actual games, letting his teammates fight for themselves.

How pathetic. TSN lauds anything TO does, but resoundingly ignores or criticizes the same occurrence in Vancouver. Prust is a joke. Glad he's no longer wasting a roster space here.

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

You mean, the drag-and-swing-your-partner-round-and-round?

5 hours ago, Slegr said:

Prust? Fight? 

Prust stopped fighting years ago, so I'm assuming he is teaching the rookies how to hug and grapple. 

On 26/08/2016 at 6:50 AM, D-Money said:

Considering he hasn't cracked 20 since 2010-11, yeah.

However, him making the team and being a valuable bottom-6 guy with 15 points is certainly reasonable.

....is it tho? Prust and valuable don't go in the same sentence.

• 1 month later...

Prust is off to Germany

Darren DregerVerified account‏@DarrenDreger

As was speculated on Thursday, Brandon Prust ends stay with the Maple Leafs for an opportunity in Germany. Leaves tomorrow.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger  6m6 minutes ago

Darren Dreger Retweeted Darren Dreger

Prust is joining the Thomas Sabo Ice Tigers in Germany.

23257909540_780586d661_o.gif

2 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

If his fiancee/wife freaked out about him coming to Vancouver that one year, I wonder what her reaction would be now since he's leaving for Germany so suddenly.

She will travel with him.  Are they still on that hockey wives show?  It would be good for their TV show, wouldn't it?

Archived