The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do you envision our Defense next season?

Blue_Jays_Canucks

Here's my personal opinion, maybe some of you have a different one?

Locks:

Edler 

Hutton

Gudbrandson 

Sbisa

Tanev

Larsen

We're left with 3 players battling for the 7th  spot:

Biega

Tryamkin

Pedan

Likely defense for next year:

Edler- Tanev

Hutton- Gudbrandson

Sbisa- Larsen

Tryamkin

Biega

Between these 3, I would say Pedan is most likely to start in the AHL. But I think he will be the first call up after an injury. Tryamkin for the 7th and Biega as our 8th D? 

Random thought- Will this cause Tryamkin to go back to Russia? 

Thoughts? Anyone I've missed? 

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Why leave Tryamkin out?He's arguably one of our toughest hitters.And covers a lot of territory. You want to send him back to Russia?Are you crazy?

This exactly, I'll be surprised if Larsson beats him into the top 6.....Try played well in that 20 game call up stint...

9 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Why leave Tryamkin out?He's arguably one of our toughest hitters.And covers a lot of territory. You want to send him back to Russia?Are you crazy?

4 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

Larsen isn't a lock, yet.

There has been a lot of discussion already on this point, including various threads on line-up issues.

The Canuck brass has already indicated the intention to go with Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Guddy so that is not in doubt.

Given Tryamkin's contract (back to the KHL if he does not stick with Canucks) and given his pretty solid play at the end of last season and his size and potential, he is also a lock to start with the team. So I agree with Hairy on this one.

Sbisa will start out in the 3rd pairing and Larsen will get a look.

That makes 7 guys. As Pedan is waiver-eligible and would likely to be picked up if put on waivers, he is the 8th man. Biega will be placed on waivers but will not be claimed and will start the season in Utica.

After that things are fluid. As numb3r 16 points out, Larsen is not a lock to stay. He will get a look on the point on the PP, but I personally think he is a long shot to stick with the team.

Sbisa is okay as a 3rd pairing guy, but I would not expect much improvement given his age and trajectory. It would not surprise me to see both Tryamkin and Pedan pass him on the depth chart.

And we all like Hutton, but he could struggle with a sophomore jinx next year. He is not a lock to stay in the top 4.

6 minutes ago, JamesB said:

There has been a lot of discussion already on this point, including various threads on line-up issues.

The Canuck brass has already indicated the intention to go with Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Guddy so that is not in doubt.

Given Tryamkin's contract (back to the KHL if he does not stick with Canucks) and given his pretty solid play at the end of last season and his size and potential, he is also a lock to start with the team. So I agree with Hairy on this one.

Sbisa will start out in the 3rd pairing and Larsen will get a look.

That makes 7 guys. As Pedan is waiver-eligible and would likely to be picked up if put on waivers, he is the 8th man. Biega will be placed on waivers but will not be claimed and will start the season in Utica.

After that things are fluid. As numb3r 16 points out, Larsen is not a lock to stay. He will get a look on the point on the PP, but I personally think he is a long shot to stick with the team.

Sbisa is okay as a 3rd pairing guy, but I would not expect much improvement given his age and trajectory. It would not surprise me to see both Tryamkin and Pedan pass him on the depth chart.

And we all like Hutton, but he could struggle with a sophomore jinx next year. He is not a lock to stay in the top 4.

Only thing I wonder is Hutton is a bit older than most rookies when they suffer from the sophomore slump, maybe he'll just breeze on right through and double his point totals from last year (1 can hope) I guess only time will tell 

10 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Demote Sbisa.

No one will touch that contract.

Edler ..Tanev

Hutton ..Gudbranson

Tryamkin/Pedan..Larsen/Biega

Hope we try and package Sbisa and get a young prospect or draft pick, Say 3rd pick and another teams young prospect..

Our top-4 is a lock with Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Gudbranson.

This leaves us with the third pairing which isn't a lock. Players include: Sbisa, Tryamkin, Larsen, Pedan, Biega.

We shouldn't rule out on the possibility of Sbisa being dealt, especially if they feel the others players did extremely well in training camp.

26 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Demote Sbisa.

No one will touch that contract.

Edler ..Tanev

Hutton ..Gudbranson

Tryamkin/Pedan..Larsen/Biega

His contract isn't even that bad. It may be a little on the high side but nothing to get all up in arms about. Sbisa actually played decently last year when he wasn't injured. 

Edit: he would also most certainly be claimed and you can't possibly believe Biega is a better player?

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

His contract isn't even that bad. It may be a little on the high side but nothing to get all up in arms about. Sbisa actually played decently last year when he wasn't injured. 

Wouldn't like our emerging young D to use that comparable. Think Benning's improved since his first couple contracts, but I'm not crazy about this one.

Archived