The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do you envision our Defense next season?

Blue_Jays_Canucks

11 hours ago, sampy said:

Edler  Tanev

Hutton  Gudbranson

Sbisa  Larsen

Tryamkin

Pedan

Biega is going to the minors. Likely won't be claimed so will be good for call up. Pedan would get claimed.

One of these guys will be injured in training camp and like the last few years, one of them will always be injured during the season making room for the others.

People seem to forget that we are ALWAYS short of defense due to injuries.

I like our overall depth, let's see how the pairings sort out during camp.

Elder - Tanev

Gudbrandson - Hutton

Tryamkin - Larsen

Pedan and Sbisa in press box.

I can see Pedan and Larsen slipping in and out of the line up all year with Pedan playing the more physical opponents and Larsen used against the smaller teams.

The biggest difference in our Defence this year is the type of Dmen that we have.  In previous years the Canucks blueline was small and timid. Teams would clip and chase and just cream our Dmen all night long.  Our guys would inevitably pickup injuries and that led to players having to log more minutes, out of position and higher up the roster. Guddy, Tryamkin, Pedan and Sbisa are all big guys who can play a physical, intimidating game.  Opponents' aren't going to want to chip and chase against these guys because they will just get hammered.  This should create more space and time, reduce injuries and allow for faster, cleaner transition. 

The main problem with the Defence is that although they have added size, they have not necessarily added any scoring.  We can only hope that Hutton, Larsen and Edler are able to benefit offensively because the other guys are taking care of business defensively.     

I see the defense playing far more confidently and with much greater authority in it's own end. The rampant physical victimization that the defense was under last season will be a distant memory.

This will also have a positive effect on the offensive production from the back end as well. Not being hemmed in and pulverized is always a bonus.

Biega is probably the odd man out who would have to pass through waivers.

Aside from that, the Canucks have historically not been real high on carrying two extra defensemen, it's not ideal but the risk of losing any of either Pedan, Sbisa, Larsen to waivers is too great and of course Tryamkin has his out clause.

I could see them trying to talk Tryamkin into agreeing to temporarily waive the out clause to go to Utica to be the top guy and being the first call back. This really would prove beneficial to his overall development. 

Of course I also think we will see a trade sometime prior to the start of the season which will include a defenseman moving out. 

1 minute ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I see this D group being much more solid and harder to play against than last year's.  

Also I see Biega being way ahead of Pedan because of his tenacity and willingness.  If anyone gets waived it will probably be Pedan unless he shows he's ready to go.  

Biega certainly has tenacity but the problem for him is that he is 5'10 . Pedan is 6'5. No matter how aggressive Biega is, he will never be bigger than Pedan. There are only a handful of players that are over 6'5 that can skate well enough to play in the NHL. There are 100's of players over 5'10 that can be an NHL 6/7 dman.  Dmen in this league are getting bigger and bigger and the only way small dmen can get a roster spot is if they quarter back the power play or bring something really special offensively.

I would be surprised if Biega makes the team out of camp.  

Just now, danaimo said:

Biega certainly has tenacity but the problem for him is that he is 5'10 . Pedan is 6'5. No matter how aggressive Biega is, he will never be bigger than Pedan. There are only a handful of players that are over 6'5 that can skate well enough to play in the NHL. There are 100's of players over 5'10 that can be an NHL 6/7 dman.  Dmen in this league are getting bigger and bigger and the only way small dmen can get a roster spot is if they quarter back the power play or bring something really special offensively.

I would be surprised if Biega makes the team out of camp.  

The Canucks signed Biega to a 2 year deal because he showed he can play above his size.  He moves the puck well and for a 5'10 dude he doesn't give up.  Pedan may be bigger and can drop the gloves but so far all I've seen is un-interested play from him.  I guess we will see come camp

1 minute ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

The Canucks signed Biega to a 2 year deal because he showed he can play above his size.  He moves the puck well and for a 5'10 dude he doesn't give up.  Pedan may be bigger and can drop the gloves but so far all I've seen is un-interested play from him.  I guess we will see come camp

I'm also a fan of Biega but with the accusation of Guddy, Sbisa, Pedan and Tryamkin in the last few years I think that it is clear that GMJB wants size and aggression back there.  Anyway, 9 players fighting for 6 spots at camp.  It's been while since the Canucks have had that problem.

12 minutes ago, danaimo said:

I'm also a fan of Biega but with the accusation of Guddy, Sbisa, Pedan and Tryamkin in the last few years I think that it is clear that GMJB wants size and aggression back there.  Anyway, 9 players fighting for 6 spots at camp.  It's been while since the Canucks have had that problem.

For sure.  If Pedan shows he can play he'll bring that push back which the team could use.  Heck, if everyone comes to camp and plays well JB is going to have some very difficult decisions to make.  

I don't think our top 4 is written in stone quite yet.

I think Sbisa's showing in the upcoming World Cup will be the deciding factor in some decisions. Best case scenario.... is Sbisa earns a top 4 role w/team Europe and has an excellent tournament (not out of the question by any means).

Maybe impress the team enough to take a look at him in top 4 and allow the team to move Edler for  much needed help up front... Or at the very least make him an attractive trade picee as part of a deal to acquire a top 6 winger.

I personally hope we don't move Tanev...our Lside is much deeper w/Edler,Hutto,Sbisa,Pedan,Juolevi (Trymakin can play both).

In hindsight...I can't understand not retaining Hammer for 2 yrs at 3m while mentoring Juolevi into a top 4 role.  Would have made Edler expendable as a trade chip and freed up his $$.(although the reported 2 team trade list could be an issue)

I hope Larsen is good and can provide some offense from the back end.  I prefer to have one offensive dman on the 3rd pair instead of having sbisa and tryamkin together to start the season.  Edler and Hutton can be the puck moving guys on their d-pairs.  

10 minutes ago, PCK said:

I hope Larsen is good and can provide some offense from the back end.  I prefer to have one offensive dman on the 3rd pair instead of having sbisa and tryamkin together to start the season.  Edler and Hutton can be the puck moving guys on their d-pairs.  

*Technically Tanev is the PMD on that pair. Edler is a minute eating 2-way D with some offense and size. 

It's fesible tryamkin could be one of our best d by the end of next season.

It would be shocking but it's conceivable he has the tools and size to be great.  If he comes in super fit and grows like he did over that last stint I'm going to be excited.

He  could be a top 4 D next season. 

Archived