The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Twins Great/Team's Lousy(Discussion)

Nuxfanabroad

For the sake of summer yakkin', thought I'd ask this hypothetical head-scratcher.

Say the twins play is stellar( 1~1.2 ppg avg, throughout), but for various other reasons(lets say injuries,+ inexperience) the team is bottom 3 league-wide. This is early Jan2017, & PO-consideration is already laughable.

Some significant offers float in. We retain 4 mill(so 10 mill outgoing), take on an onerous contract(expires same time as twins' contact), + land about 3 great young pieces.

Would you make that move? At A) TDL,  B,Offseason, or C) Refuse the notion.

Question is asked, assuming the twins would readily accept chance to win the Cup elsewhere.

The only time I see the Sedins being dealt is during the off-season. I don't about others, but I don't see a trade happening in the middle of the season involving the Twins. I'm not strongly against the move, in fact, it could work in Vancouver's favour with the youth movement Jim Benning is aiming towards. This is if, the players we get in return, are ready to step up and fill in the hole.

Haven't the Sedins already said they wouldn't ever waive? It's Vancouver or Sweden for them. I don't get why this comes up every year.

But yes, I would agree to trade them, because once their contracts expire they would come right back to Van or go to Sweden.

If they ever get traded it's completely against their will IMO. They have too much class to sell out to win a cup. 

On the other hand, they are so humble and unselfish that if Linden asked them to waive so they could build for the future, they'd probably do it for the good of the team. 

7 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

If they ever get traded it's completely against their will IMO. They have too much class to sell out to win a cup. 

On the other hand, they are so humble and unselfish that if Linden asked them to waive so they could build for the future, they'd probably do it for the good of the team. 

Well said. That being said why would they sell out to win a cup? I'm sure ether know, like I do, that they are the 2011 cup Champs. 

Let's say a cup contender wants them and we have no choice but to move them, I'd make a deal like this. Also, any borderline playoff team, add the twins = cup contender imo. 

To avs sedins and 50% retained for 1 year 

For 

Nathan mackinnon and 3 1st rounders 

To Tampa sedins and 50% retained for 3 first rounders + Johnson 

To pens Sedins and 50% retained for Bonino and 3 first rounders... 

To nyr sedins 50% retained for zibanejad, + 4 first rounders 

My asking price is high. I'm a fan. 

Also, you trade the sedins and whoever team they go to, I automatically become a die hard fan of. Thought luongo to Florida would make me a huge fan but I kinda stopped caring about Florida... This would be something else though.  As good as luongo was, he'll never be the sedins. 

out of respect for the twins, I wouldn't ask them to waive. They have given everything they have to this organization and will continue to do so.  They deserve to retire here.

The best leaders for the younger generation of players to learn from. They set the bar in training each year, outstanding in the community, unselfish and have so much more experience than anyone else on the team. They never panick in do or die situations, having that on the bench in nail biting moments is a must have.

Yeah, somethin to blab about in August.

So we're decimated by injuries & falling like a stone. Washington is hot again, yet suddenly one of their key fwds(such as Oshie) breaks a leg, & is out for rest of yr.

Jim's phone rings...

"Jim ol' pal, well give you...

Burakovsky/Vrana(pick best 1)

Bowie

a 1st, but you gotta take Orpik too, so the numbers work."

They're top-2 in standings(league-wide), & the prospects offered are playing brilliantly. As for respecting the twins, we offer them a contract, later, if they want; & front office positions when they hang 'em up.

Because we have such a high caliber set of players is the reason I'm happy we are still signing studs like Eriksson and attempting to win. If we gave up and started to tankronto while the Sedins are still producing it would be a major knock on our organization for years to come.

The leadership Henrik and Daniel bring is comparable to the greatest pros ever to play the game and is invaluable when you have young impressionable kids making the step to the NHL.  

25 minutes ago, jstewboy said:

Because we have such a high caliber set of players is the reason I'm happy we are still signing studs like Eriksson and attempting to win. If we gave up and started to tankronto while the Sedins are still producing it would be a major knock on our organization for years to come.

The leadership Henrik and Daniel bring is comparable to the greatest pros ever to play the game and is invaluable when you have young impressionable kids making the step to the NHL.  

Nice reply.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

For the sake of summer yakkin', thought I'd ask this hypothetical head-scratcher.

Say the twins play is stellar( 1~1.2 ppg avg, throughout), but for various other reasons(lets say injuries,+ inexperience) the team is bottom 3 league-wide. This is early Jan2017, & PO-consideration is already laughable.

Some significant offers float in. We retain 4 mill(so 10 mill outgoing), take on an onerous contract(expires same time as twins' contact), + land about 3 great young pieces.

Would you make that move? At A) TDL,  B,Offseason, or C) Refuse the notion.

Question is asked, assuming the twins would readily accept chance to win the Cup elsewhere.

This is a crazy scenario.  If the Sedins are over 1ppg, Eriksson probably has 30 goals and the PP is clicking.  With no secondary scoring there is no way that is happening.  If other teams are allowed to focus all of their efforts on wearing down the twins this can't happen.

I get that you're trying to create an extreme set of circumstances to basically ask the question "is there a scenario in which the Sedins can be traded?"  Stranger things have happened, but I think it's pretty far fetched.

6 minutes ago, JCM7 said:

This is a crazy scenario.  If the Sedins are over 1ppg, Eriksson probably has 30 goals and the PP is clicking.  With no secondary scoring there is no way that is happening.  If other teams are allowed to focus all of their efforts on wearing down the twins this can't happen.

I get that you're trying to create an extreme set of circumstances to basically ask the question "is there a scenario in which the Sedins can be traded?"  Stranger things have happened, but I think it's pretty far fetched.

Yeah, you're right, AND it's a crazy world. Despite all the attn, the twins STILL post gaudy numbers, thus insane offers float in..I'd guess stranger fiction has been written in this league's time.

Chalk it up to trapped in the house(37 degrees in Osaka), & idle hands are the devil's work shop, etc...

Keep them.  Enjoy the ride and hope they have a great final few seasons.  

There is great entertainment value for the club. In the history of our club, we have never had hall of famers retire with our jersey on. About time. 

We have players on the roster that grew up with these guys as their hero's and now they are playing with them. 

Dont underrate that type of influence and what torch the twins can pass on. 

5 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Haven't the Sedins already said they wouldn't ever waive? It's Vancouver or Sweden for them. I don't get why this comes up every year.

But yes, I would agree to trade them, because once their contracts expire they would come right back to Van or go to Sweden.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=70108

This interview from last summer pretty much sums it up.

• they want to finish their careers here
  • they won't be going back to Sweden to play
  • they may not return to Sweden even after retiring
  • they would waive if asked to help the team

7 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

they have proven when given a chance to win a cup they failed to score and got messed with thats why it comes back every year and the Sedins can only shut us ppl up by WINNING THE CUP no buts.....

Archived