The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Twins Great/Team's Lousy(Discussion)

Nuxfanabroad

As others have said, they might waive in the off-season after sitting down with Trev. That's just the quality of people we're talking about here.

But I really don't see it happening, if only because I don't see any team taking on a big cap hit for 37 year old players that haven't been 1.0 ppg players in 5 years.

17 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

As others have said, they might waive in the off-season after sitting down with Trev. That's just the quality of people we're talking about here.

But I really don't see it happening, if only because I don't see any team taking on a big cap hit for 37 year old players that haven't been 1.0 ppg players in 5 years.

If it happens at all it will be in the final year at the trade deadline. But for the record, Benning has said he will not ask them to waive as long as he's here.

It’s fun to speculate but realistically there are so many variable to that would need to fit in order for it to work, and it just seems almost impossible to find a match.

Asking teams interests

Sedins are offensive players, they need offensive opportunity, so a team interested would have to have that opportunity available.  Putting the Sedins on a third line (although sounds appealing) doesn’t really get full value out of the two players.  There is only so many minutes in a game that can go around.  Would twins still be as effective playing 16 minutes a game with limited PP time and more defensive zone starts? 

Return

Canucks wouldn’t be giving them away for free.  Remember a contending team will likely pick in the 24+ range so it’s not a top 10 pick.  So we’d have to be looking for top prospect(s) + picks.  The sedins aren’t young and it’s hard to see a team willing to give up the asking price for one and a half years of declining hockey.  For comparison sake, Iggy got a 24th overall and two C level prospects.  The return played not role in building future assets for the flames. 

Cap

The team asking would also need cap space, not just for this year but next. 

NMC

The real kicker, Sedins would have to want to go to the team.  They have the say and that really narrows down the options and thus the return. 

So with all those variants, It's hard to find a real scenerio that would fit

The twins would have to:

1. be really great to warrant the kind of return it'd take for us to even consider trading them
  2. be willing to be traded to the team able to offer that kind of return
  3. not have another year left on their contract since any contending team might be able to make it work at the deadline, but most likely won't be able to for the following season

Of course, we'd have to take back something in the form of a camp dump to likely even make it work at the deadline, but considering there's a lot of questions on how to even make it work to begin with (and that this has been discussed to death, as recently as last month) and that neither sides really want a trade, it's about as unlikely as anything out there.

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

If it happens at all it will be in the final year at the trade deadline. But for the record, Benning has said he will not ask them to waive as long as he's here.

This. The only way this even maybe happens is next TDL if the Canucks are well out of the playoffs and the Sedins would likely have to approach management.

Could work out well for us though. They go at the TDL for a decent return for a nice playoff run and hopefully cup on a contender and re-sign in the summer for 1-2 year deal at say ~$4-5m to a now deeper team.

I would be A-OK with that scenario.

Can't really compare the Sedins to Iginla, Alfredsson, Bourque and the many other vets who've left their original teams to try to win a Cup with a contender. Family and community seem to be a higher priority for the Sedins than winning a Cup. A Cup is also not guaranteed if you join a contender. Ask Iggy and Alfie. The Sedins are comfortable here, it's the only NHL team they've ever known. It's where they've grown from kids to adults, where they had and raised their own kids, where they put some roots and have been heavily involved with charities. They aren't going anywhere and probably believe the Canucks could still win a Cup while they're here. Love their loyalty and optimism. And if they don't win the Cup here, oh well, their numbers will still hang in the rafters one day and they'll go down as the two best Canucks of all time.

13 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Haven't the Sedins already said they wouldn't ever waive? It's Vancouver or Sweden for them. I don't get why this comes up every year.

But yes, I would agree to trade them, because once their contracts expire they would come right back to Van or go to Sweden.

No they never said that

Here's the only thought on this that I perhaps haven't seen before: would a deal be possible at this deadline where we move the Sedins for picks/prospects/players (and likely an expiring cap dump) with essentially a second deal worked out for the offseason where we trade other assets (or some of the same) back for them, giving us a net gain? Obviously we couldn't be so direct as to collude with a team to promise a return deal at a set time, but could we give them a chance at a playoff run this year then take them back to keep the other team from cap hell the next season?

That's a lot of what if's and still very unlikely, and it'd depend on the Sedins agreeing, the other team seeing it as beneficial, and a net return that'd make all the trouble worthwhile, but that's about the only thing interesting left to explore at this point.

3 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Here's the only thought on this that I perhaps haven't seen before: would a deal be possible at this deadline where we move the Sedins for picks/prospects/players (and likely an expiring cap dump) with essentially a second deal worked out for the offseason where we trade other assets (or some of the same) back for them, giving us a net gain? Obviously we couldn't be so direct as to collude with a team to promise a return deal at a set time, but could we give them a chance at a playoff run this year then take them back to keep the other team from cap hell the next season?

That's a lot of what if's and still very unlikely, and it'd depend on the Sedins agreeing, the other team seeing it as beneficial, and a net return that'd make all the trouble worthwhile, but that's about the only thing interesting left to explore at this point.

I'd guess the league would intervene. Couldn't have such a deal(s) involving such high-profile players. Set a bad precedent.

19 hours ago, apollo said:

Well said. That being said why would they sell out to win a cup? I'm sure ether know, like I do, that they are the 2011 cup Champs. 

Let's say a cup contender wants them and we have no choice but to move them, I'd make a deal like this. Also, any borderline playoff team, add the twins = cup contender imo. 

To avs sedins and 50% retained for 1 year 

For 

Nathan mackinnon and 3 1st rounders 

To Tampa sedins and 50% retained for 3 first rounders + Johnson 

To pens Sedins and 50% retained for Bonino and 3 first rounders... 

To nyr sedins 50% retained for zibanejad, + 4 first rounders 

My asking price is high. I'm a fan. 

Also, you trade the sedins and whoever team they go to, I automatically become a die hard fan of. Thought luongo to Florida would make me a huge fan but I kinda stopped caring about Florida... This would be something else though.  As good as luongo was, he'll never be the sedins. 

3 first rounders isn't necessarily that high if those teams finish at the top of the league.  That could be as low as three 28th overall picks. 

Is that enough for the sedins? I would like one of those picks to be a highly touted pick. Especially with penguins.  

Edit.  Mind you though your first one of mackinnon is pretty good given Colorado would finish lower in the standings.  

10 hours ago, Riviera82 said:

If it meant kickstarting this pseudo-rebuild with high picks and top prospects, I'd be happy to see the Sedins traded today.

Im glad your not making the decision. You would be happy to see 2 of the greatest players if not the best in Canucks history leave the organization? Regardless of the rebuild, I think they deserve a heck lot more than that reason.

2 hours ago, HOFsedins said:

Im glad your not making the decision. You would be happy to see 2 of the greatest players if not the best in Canucks history leave the organization? Regardless of the rebuild, I think they deserve a heck lot more than that reason.

What if they had a chance to win a cup? Because they wont be doing that here, that's practically guaranteed. And if their comfort with one team and one city outweighs their desire to be champions, well then I would question their integrity as hockey players, not people, just hockey players.

As of right now all they are doing is "mentoring" the younger players (whatever that means) and slowing down the actual rebuild which will most likely happen once they are traded or retired anyway.

17 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Linden was traded, and he retired as a Canuck.

It looks like the thread is still going.

Of course Keenan never said anything like this about Linden....

Jim Benning says he’ll never ask the Sedins to waive their no-trade clauses.

“Maybe if I’m gone and the next GM comes in, but that’s not happening under my watch,” says the Canucks’ general manager.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Willes+Benning+says+would+never+force+trade+Sedins/11749582/story.html

Archived