The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Twins Great/Team's Lousy(Discussion)

Nuxfanabroad

22 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

As others have said, they might waive in the off-season after sitting down with Trev. That's just the quality of people we're talking about here.

But I really don't see it happening, if only because I don't see any team taking on a big cap hit for 37 year old players that haven't been 1.0 ppg players in 5 years.

There were 5 players in the league last year that averaged a point per game or better. I think the only set backs are cap and their age. They are good for 65+ points on a playoff team still, in my opinion. With that said I am 100% against moving them. Unless it gets us Puljujarvi-like young guy. Which obviously would never happen.

If the return is right you absolutely do it. I wouldn't shop them but if a GM doesn't consider it they aren't doing their job.

Linden was traded indirectly for a Sedin AND Loungo.

I don't believe in fairy tales. If it makes the team better long term pull the trigger. I'd take a cup over a heart warming story any day.

On 23 August 2016 at 7:30 PM, J.R. said:

This. The only way this even maybe happens is next TDL if the Canucks are well out of the playoffs and the Sedins would likely have to approach management.

Could work out well for us though. They go at the TDL for a decent return for a nice playoff run and hopefully cup on a contender and re-sign in the summer for 1-2 year deal at say ~$4-5m to a now deeper team.

I would be A-OK with that scenario.

This is the most likely scenario, IF the Sedins agreed to be traded. Possibly to TBL for a player like Drouin with a 1st and or a 2nd round pick. Then we re-sign them in the offseason as we are likely to be one of the few teams around to be able to be able to fit them into the cap space available. 

It's a respect thing. Arguably two of our most legendary players who have committed their entire careers to Vancouver, the least we could do is commit to them as well. Yes, it'd be smart to trade them. But you don't at a sacrifice because that's exactly what they've done for us. 

On 8/22/2016 at 9:51 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

For the sake of summer yakkin', thought I'd ask this hypothetical head-scratcher.

Say the twins play is stellar( 1~1.2 ppg avg, throughout), but for various other reasons(lets say injuries,+ inexperience) the team is bottom 3 league-wide. This is early Jan2017, & PO-consideration is already laughable.

Some significant offers float in. We retain 4 mill(so 10 mill outgoing), take on an onerous contract(expires same time as twins' contact), + land about 3 great young pieces.

Would you make that move? At A) TDL,  B,Offseason, or C) Refuse the notion.

Question is asked, assuming the twins would readily accept chance to win the Cup elsewhere.

this ain't even hypothetical.. the twins will never ever be 1-1.2 ppg avg player again in this league.. they are at best 0.6-0.7... and i don't even see any teams out there that's a serious playoff contender with a onerous contract to dump along with 3 great young pieces.. we are talking about 10mil in cap space here.. more like we need to retain 50% of their salary along with a cap dump for this to even be anywhere close to being realistic.. please name a serious contender out there that have anywhere close to 7-10mil worth of cap space to dump to fit in 2 7mil players.. and at their age.. i doubt the sedins will even bother accepting a trade.. they probably deep down already accepted the fact they ain't winning a cup

On ‎2016‎年‎8‎月‎25‎日 at 9:33 AM, wai_lai416 said:

this ain't even hypothetical.. the twins will never ever be 1-1.2 ppg avg player again in this league.. they are at best 0.6-0.7... and i don't even see any teams out there that's a serious playoff contender with a onerous contract to dump along with 3 great young pieces.. we are talking about 10mil in cap space here.. more like we need to retain 50% of their salary along with a cap dump for this to even be anywhere close to being realistic.. please name a serious contender out there that have anywhere close to 7-10mil worth of cap space to dump to fit in 2 7mil players.. and at their age.. i doubt the sedins will even bother accepting a trade.. they probably deep down already accepted the fact they ain't winning a cup

prob true

On 8/23/2016 at 8:39 AM, Westcoasting said:

People used to say that about Raymond Bourque too.

Yes, Ray Boruque, one player who didn't play during a salary cap era, Sorry bud but comparing the two can't happen here because you have a COMPLETELY different situation. Not a lot of teams out there willing to take a 14 mllion dollar hit on two 36 year old players, no matter how good they are or were.

21 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Yes, Ray Boruque, one player who didn't play during a salary cap era, Sorry bud but comparing the two can't happen here because you have a COMPLETELY different situation. Not a lot of teams out there willing to take a 14 mllion dollar hit on two 36 year old players, no matter how good they are or were.

But this counter is too often trotted out. You'd have to assume if it's mid-season, interested team would've had injuries(likely LTIR space), we'd retain a %, & probably take back a hefty contract. However far-fetched, at least 2 of these 3 would be involved variables.

4 hours ago, MikeyD said:

It's a respect thing. Arguably two of our most legendary players who have committed their entire careers to Vancouver, the least we could do is commit to them as well. Yes, it'd be smart to trade them. But you don't at a sacrifice because that's exactly what they've done for us. 

Still just a business though. And in terms of sacrifice, how many millions of dollars have they been paid over the years? They aren't exactly sacrificing or suffering much, they've done very very well for themselves while living a stable family life in one city. Not may players get to have that luxury anymore..

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

But this counter is too often trotted out. You'd have to assume if it's mid-season, interested team would've had injuries(likely LTIR space), we'd retain a %, & probably take back a hefty contract. However far-fetched, at least 2 of these 3 would be involved variables.

I highly doubt they would ever be traded at this point. Like 'swear on graves' doubt it.

2 hours ago, Quoted said:

Still just a business though. And in terms of sacrifice, how many millions of dollars have they been paid over the years? They aren't exactly sacrificing or suffering much, they've done very very well for themselves while living a stable family life in one city. Not may players get to have that luxury anymore..

Decent point, however even if we were to look to trade them, which cup contenders are going to have 12 million in cap space?

19 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Decent point, however even if we were to look to trade them, which cup contenders are going to have 12 million in cap space?

They would probably need to give a few draft picks and get the Canucks to retain a bunch of salary, if its during the Sedins final contract year.

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

LTIR doesn't bank you cap space. All injuries count towards the cap. In the case of LTIR the team can exceed the cap by that players salary until he returns. So LTIR wouldn't help unless a player with a substantial contract was on it until the end of the regular season. A team would likely need around 5.5m to 6m cap space to take on both Sedins at the trade deadline. retaining salary and/or taking a contract back would alleviate that. This is why I've said before if the Sedins are moved at all (and I doubt they will be) it would happen at the trade deadline in their final year with salary retained.

There's really not much to be said outside of what has been said the millions of times this thread has been brought up.

It's not as impossible as some are saying in regards to a Sedin trade - but it would be very complicated and would take some time. Really, it all comes down to how they play next year - it is a big year for Henrik and Daniel.

If we're diving into this situation in depth, we have to state the obvious - Benning is not interested in trading them. If he was given the green light by management to rebuild, he would probably do so, but the fact remains that he has added players specifically to stay competitive and play with the Sedin's - such as Erikkson, Vrbata, Ryan Miller, Richardson, etc. But just because Benning is not interested in trading them, does that necessarily mean he won't? No.

But that all depends on the Sedin's. They need to pick a team they'd be willing to go to with a good cash of prospects that can be transferred over. Additionally, the team has to be contending, or at least be a team with a big market that can rebuild on the fly due to their name. 

The teams that instantly come to mind are 3-4: Anaheim, Detroit, Toronto, and Chicago (on 50% salary). 

Benning has a big decision to make going forward. Each second he's wasting with the twins, if he truly believes we aren't a contending team, is a waste. The twins can move forward after next year, and leaving the Canucks in the state they're in would be catastrophic to their development. Look at the New York Yankees and Carolina Panthers, who got rid of veterans and had their youth give them a new spark. Gary Sanchez has 9 home runes in 15 games... A-Rod has 9 in 95 games. You have to give youth minutes and an opportunity to supplant faces of franchises. 

14 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

I used Bourque as an iconic player never was going to be traded... I don't think the Sedins ever being traded. All I'm saying is if they decided to jump ship and go to another contending team in the last couple months of their contract, it could be made to happen.

Archived