The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injury] Jamie Benn

I don't get why people are so opposed to Team Europe.... like seriously... Let's rather send Switzerland in instead and Luca Sbisa can be all like, "Going to win the World Cup for Switzerland!!!" he'd have NO chance in hell. Why even show up. It's not like there is even a silver or bronze medal like in the Olympics where you could argue that if Switzerland got a silver or bronze that would be overachieving and a significant accomplishment. 

While you can talk about open borders and the like in Europe, there is a large amount of rivalry and disdain between many of the European countries, especially Scandinavian ones. Is it such a crime to pull a couple of these countries together to support one team? At least they have a chance at making a splash now... Better than a sacrificial lamb for Canada or the US to beat on.

6 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Technically, this is more news on him not playing in the World Cup than it is about his injury.

https://www.nhl.com/news/jamie-benn-has-offseason-surgery-on-core/c-281175036

I haven't seen anything that explained how he got the injury in the couple articles I've looked at, but it's most likely something he was trying to rehab from the season vs a new injury after the season was over.

I think he fell out of his bunk bed.........

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

So negative all the time. -1

Yeah...but coming from you....?

I seriously am tweaked by how some people must complain about everything, parrot whatever the talking heads are saying, and don't have the relevant information.  For example, "the Aqualinis are screwing us...", without even adding a line of supporting logic.

So it's negative to bitch about other posters, fine.  But there's been a few hundred posts this year about how this tournament is a contrived money grab, as though the Olympics had some kind of credibility.  And are these posters in possession of the facts?  Do they even care?  No, they are gonna tell you that Bettman is greedy and anti-Canadian - which is a laughable opinion and merely proof that the person has not thought it through.  The problem is that there are no small uncompetitive European teams?  What?  The people lurking here in August are aloof of the NHL caliber hockey in September?  Okay, sure.

Yes, I am always negative about dumbasses here, which is a lot better than being negative about every single thing that the Canucks or the NHL does. 

6 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

t other posters, fine.  But there's been a few hundred posts this year about how this tournament is a contrived money grab, as though the Olympics had some kind of credibility.  And are these posters in possession of the facts?  Do they even care?  No, they are gonna tell you that Bettman is greedy and anti-Canadian - which is a laughable opinion and merely proof that the person has not thought it through.  The problem is that there are no small uncompetitive European teams?  What?  The people lurking here in August are aloof of the NHL caliber hockey in September?  Okay, sure.

So you think the garbage Bettman has pulled over his tenure is acceptable?  Because of him, we got a glowing puck, a culture of labour disruptions every time there's a CBA negotiation, a team in an unprofitable market because the commissioner is too immature to let them move, ads on the damn jerseys in the World Cup, and a criminally negligent group of officials.  There's a reason that piece of trash gets booed every time he steps on the ice and it's not because he's good for the sport.

This tournament is a damn joke.  We have Brad Marchand disgracing the pitiful excuse we have for a Canadian jersey.  Enough is enough and I'll be damned if I support this farce.

24 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

So you think the garbage Bettman has pulled over his tenure is acceptable?  Because of him, we got a glowing puck, a culture of labour disruptions every time there's a CBA negotiation, a team in an unprofitable market because the commissioner is too immature to let them move, ads on the damn jerseys in the World Cup, and a criminally negligent group of officials.  There's a reason that piece of trash gets booed every time he steps on the ice and it's not because he's good for the sport.

This tournament is a damn joke.  We have Brad Marchand disgracing the pitiful excuse we have for a Canadian jersey.  Enough is enough and I'll be damned if I support this farce.

You are literally supporting it right now.

Bettman is not an owner.  He is an employee.  He doesn't have opinions, he has the owners' opinions.  He gets pay raises all the time, but he doesn't get a cut of any revenue stream.  He is not the source of the motivations that drive his actions.  

They're not a faceless mass.  It's thirty distinct people, entities, or investment groups; in any case, it's easy to put faces on the owners.  You want to hate someone, hate Jeremy Jacobs.  He is the villain you're looking for.  

Under Bettman's tenure the amount of money in and around the game has multiplied.  The players make more than they ever have, and they have had a long history of making people rich for a basic wage.  Should he get credit for that?  I have no idea - it would make an interesting debate if people hand facts to bandy about.  As fans, we have an undreamt of access to the game.  I think it's a pretty good time to be a fan, despite a lot of the things that the owners do through their hated representative, who is simply doing their bidding.

This tournament is meant to be leverage, and a potential alternative to a tournament that is not working out for them at all.  The PA is driving this as much as anyone.  Surely you support the PA?  Or do you think that everyone should voluntarily take all the money out of the game so that we can go back to 20 dollar tickets?

The Olympics are in Korea.  Think: bad times, bad ice, bad teams.....and no media rights or revenue sharing, and an insurance headache that...oh whatever, who needs to think about that.....

1 minute ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

This tournament is meant to be leverage, and a potential alternative to a tournament that is not working out for them at all.  The PA is driving this as much as anyone.  Surely you support the PA?  Or do think that everyone should voluntarily take all the money out of the game so that we can go back to 20 dollar tickets?

The Olympics are in Korea.  Think: bad times, bad ice, bad teams.....and no media rights or revenue sharing, and an insurance headache that...oh whatever, who needs to think about that.....

I'll take bad ice and bad times over ads on jerseys and a joke of a format.  To put it simply: I won't watch this joke of a tournament.  I won't buy any merchandise spawned from it.  This is not an acceptable alternative and it's time more hockey fans put their foot down and showed that weasel what's happening on his watch won't be tolerated any longer.  What's next?  Want the Montreal Canadiens crest replaced by a Budweiser logo?

37 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'll take bad ice and bad times over ads on jerseys and a joke of a format.  To put it simply: I won't watch this joke of a tournament.  I won't buy any merchandise spawned from it.  This is not an acceptable alternative and it's time more hockey fans put their foot down and showed that weasel what's happening on his watch won't be tolerated any longer.  What's next?  Want the Montreal Canadiens crest replaced by a Budweiser logo?

What's next?  Uh...US versus Korea at 3 in the morning?

Just now, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

What's next?  Uh...US versus Korea at 3 in the morning?

Better than allowing Bettman to believe that the ads on jerseys is an option.  If you think he's not using this as a test case to see exactly what he can get away with you're severely overestimating his respect for the game.  We're dangerously close to see the Las Vegas Caesars Palace play the Detroit Chevrolets.  If you're fine with that, so be it.  I won't sit idly by while the legacy and history of the sport is destroyed by an idiot who  probably spent half an hour trying to open a puck.

33 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Better than allowing Bettman to believe that the ads on jerseys is an option.  If you think he's not using this as a test case to see exactly what he can get away with you're severely overestimating his respect for the game.  We're dangerously close to see the Las Vegas Caesars Palace play the Detroit Chevrolets.  If you're fine with that, so be it.  I won't sit idly by while the legacy and history of the sport is destroyed by an idiot who  probably spent half an hour trying to open a puck.

So, when you say Bettman.....is that really accurate, or do you mean the people he answers to? 

36 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Quick question: who's worse, Bettman or Benning?

Archived