The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Raffi Torres likely to retire if unsigned by NHL club

Raffi Torres appears ready to retire from professional hockey if he doesn't land a NHL contract for the upcoming season.

The rugged 34-year-old winger has not played since the 2015 preseason, where he was suspended 41 games for a hit on Jakob Silfverberg of the Anaheim Ducks, but he is hoping to participate in a training camp this season.

Supplementary discipline and various injuries - most recently knee surgery - have limited him to 44 regular-season games since the 2013 season, and Torres says he'll likely hang up his skates if he can't land a job with one of the NHL's 30 clubs.

"To be honest, I’ve never been one for Plan B’s," Torres, who was under contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs before becoming an unrestricted free agent on July 1, told John Matisz of Postmedia. "I’ve been telling everybody (who asks about my future), it’s probably going to be The Show or no."

Torres added he's been training heavily for the past several months in order to test his knee, which he admits may not hold up under the rigors of an 82-game schedule.

That may be a tough sell. If he does choose to retire, his career would be capped at 635 games, 137 goals, and 497 penalty minutes.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1084399

137 goals in 635 games? That's actually pretty good for a guy who played large tracts of his career out of the top 6...

I always liked Raffi. Not the head hunting. I lived in Edmonton when they went to the finals. I cheered for him with us.  For a big guy, he had a ton of speed & gusto.

19 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

I think Jake Virtanen will be similar to Raffi at his best.  I hope he retires at this point though, he's pretty much liability.  For those who will say, We should bring him in on a PTO, I say...

Naaaaaah, I don't need a Raffi, I've got a Virt.

xRpsO8.gif

My hope is that Jake becomes Raffi. But with a bit more between the ears? And more consistency! 

Rafi was actually quite the handful when going.  Was it 2013 when he played us in the play off's with SJ? Anyone remember that?? He also helped us a ton in 2011. 

I have made this Raffi / Jake comparison before as well.  6'   6'1""? About 215 lbs. Tanks the two of them barrelling down the ice. Each owning great speed. Raffi was also picked 5th overall I believe, Jake 6th? Wicked NHL calibre shot coming out of junior. Honestly I hope Jake becomes more.  But its a good comparison.

18 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

My hope is that Jake becomes Raffi. But with a bit more between the ears? And more consistency! 

Rafi was actually quite the handful when going.  Was it 2013 when he played us in the play off's with SJ? Anyone remember that?? He also helped us a ton in 2011. 

I have made this Raffi / Jake comparison before as well.  6'   6'1""? About 215 lbs. Tanks the two of them barrelling down the ice. Each owning great speed. Raffi was also picked 5th overall I believe, Jake 6th? Wicked NHL calibre shot coming out of junior. Honestly I hope Jake becomes more.  But its a good comparison.

I've been making that comparison since before he was drafted.

A lot of people here don't take it very well though.

Always liked Raffi. He brought speed, physicality, gusto, and more offensive talent than you'd think to the table. He crossed the line sometimes, granted. Didn't do himself any favours at times but I enjoyed his stint with us. Wishing him all the best if he does end up retiring.

5 minutes ago, Lillooet_Hillbilly said:

I always liked that quote some one had in their sig that said they checked under their bed for torres

I have never seen that; however, I do remember this thread:

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/296613-raffi-torres-is-literally-a-bowling-ball/

A classic for sure! :lol:

On 8/23/2016 at 3:12 PM, D-Money said:

I'm sure there are numerous players that are so sad that Raffi Torres isn't in the league. I'm sure players like Marian Hossa, Jordan Eberle, Jarret Stoll, and Jakob Silfverberg had nothing but respect for the guy.

Hossa's a little ****.  Guy went down like he'd been shot when Hansen barely touched him too.  Torres didn't deserve what ehe got for taking out that spoiled crybaby,

Loved Raffi when he was with us. I loved the energy and physicality he brought with him to our 3rd line.

I don't think he is as dirty as other fans in the NHL thinks. But with his reputation and injury history, I doubt any team will consider signing him.

Happy retirement Raffi!

Archived