The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Stars sign F Jiri Hudler [1 year x $2M]

Crackers

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I think this guy is legit though.

The guy's hairdo costs more money than my internet bill.

He claimed to have talked to his agent last Friday and said that Hudler would sign by the end of the weekend.

I have a feeling he's one of those people who tweet predictions and then delete them if they don't come true. Kind of strange he doesn't have any other tweets claiming to have inside knowledge before a signing. He's also based out of Calgary.

I would file this one under highly questionable. 

Just now, DeNiro said:

He claimed to have talked to his agent last Friday and said that Hudler would sign by the end of the weekend.

I have a feeling he's one of those people who tweet predictions and then delete them if they don't come true. Kind of strange he doesn't have any other tweets claiming to have inside knowledge before a signing. He's also based out of Calgary.

I would file this one under highly questionable. 

I think it's not a proper way to start your journalism career by making stuff up and being so public like him.

MAYBEEEE he does know something.

So he made the Hudler claim already last Friday?

Just now, Dazzle said:

I think it's not a proper way to start your journalism career by making stuff up and being so public like him.

MAYBEEEE he does know something.

So he made the Hudler claim already last Friday?

Eklund has made a career out of spewing complete BS. There's no accountability in journalism anymore. Anyone with a laptop can claim to be an "insider". If it doesn't come true, oh well just claim things must have changed.

That being said I won't be that shocked if he does indeed sign with the Stars. It wouldn't be the first time an obscure source broke a signing or trade.

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Eklund has 249,000 followers. This guy has 471...

Kind of lets you know how credible he is. For some reason a bunch of lower level rumor mongers keep spreading this guys report of talking to Petr Svoboda.

I guess that's me now :(

Just now, Crackers said:

I guess that's me now :(

You never claimed to be an insider though.

You see all these people tweeting these reports now as if it's fact. They're all referencing some random guy with 471 followers as if he's Bob Mckenzie.

That's the problem with twitter. Sometimes information can leak well before the mainstream picks it up. But sometimes misinformation can spread like a wildfire. I guess we won't know which one of those instances this is until it's official.

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Eklund has made a career out of spewing complete BS. There's no accountability in journalism anymore. Anyone with a laptop can claim to be an "insider". If it doesn't come true, oh well just claim things must have changed.

That being said I won't be that shocked if he does indeed sign with the Stars. It wouldn't be the first time an obscure source broke a signing or trade.

I hear ya. Eklund has mostly kept his identity a secret. His online persona is mostly secretive. This guy doesn't seem to be following the same route.

Hard to get a handle on this source.

On the one hand, he's (Sachdeva) in one of Canada's better journalism schools, apparently has reporter credentials for NHL clubs, and writes for fairly well-known online hockey publications. Seems like a guy who'd take his reputation seriously, especially if he hopes to make a career of legitimate sports journalism. He also seems to have been in contact with Petr Svoboda previously (based on his Twitter feed) so he might have an "in" here and a legitimate source.

Seems quite plausible that he's telling the truth (or what he believes to be the truth). 

But he could also just be playing everyone. Would be a pretty strange move for a guy like him (if he's trying to break into sports journalism as a career). But there could be a legitimate reason I suppose (beyond him just messing around). Maybe he's planning on writing a paper on the topic of Twitter reports and fake sources? Could even have the blessing of his grad supervisor or other professors in posting a fake tweet and tracking the response online (would make for a pretty interesting paper actually).

Or it could just be a case of an agent manipulating a very green media guy. Svoboda might have suggested a deal was imminent (with Dallas) to try to push other teams in the mix to scramble with better offers. Maybe Sachdeva is the one getting played here. It's no big loss for Svoboda to burn a media contact like some random journalism student with less than 500 followers on Twitter (although it'd still be pretty ruthless). Agents regularly manipulate members of the media and Svoboda has definitely been doing so all summer.

I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Thought that Chicago had at least that much cap for him?

The Jim Nill connection and Dallas' high octane top 6 make them a pretty good fit. Not to mention fellow countrymen Ales Hemsky and Radek Faksa play for the Stars.

I can see this happening. Dallas needs a middle 6 winger.

Their D is pretty good with Oleksiak pushing for a spot. Their middle 6 wingers are prone to dry spells. Hudler would add a lot of consistency to that crowd.

If they can stay healthy they'll be a force, again.

Archived