The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Stars sign F Jiri Hudler [1 year x $2M]

Crackers

11 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I really don't mind either outcome. If he signs with the Canucks he should come at a reasonable price and bolster our offence. If he doesn't, its more opportunity for our younger guys and more competition in camp for our forward spots. I'd welcome Hudler but I wouldn't be crushed if he signed elsewhere.

The way I see it is, if we don't sign anyone we're probably looking at a middle of the pack finish (10th-15th pick barring major injuries).

Not enough to make us significantly better and no valuable playoff experience for our young core. Basically the worst possible place to be IMO. We've seen teams (including the Canucks) get trapped in this position for years without getting any better.

We've gone too far in to go halfway now. Not signing Hudler may end up causing Benning to make a desperation trade to fill our scoring needs. I don't wanna see that happen because we could end up seeing valuable young pieces (Gaunce and Subban) and picks dealt to fill that need. 

Hudler may not be a long term solution, but he's a low cost/low risk player that could definitely put us over the top for making the playoffs. He's a solid temporary stop gap until guys like Baertschi, Boeser, Granlund and Virtanen are ready to step up and make an impact offensively. 

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Eklund has 249,000 followers. This guy has 471...

Kind of lets you know how credible he is. For some reason a bunch of lower level rumor mongers keep spreading this guys report of talking to Petr Svoboda.

i dont really understand your point. Eklund is not credible at all... 

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The way I see it is, if we don't sign anyone we're probably looking at a middle of the pack finish (10th-15th pick barring major injuries).

Not enough to make us significantly better and no valuable playoff experience for our young core. Basically the worst possible place to be IMO. We've seen teams (including the Canucks) get trapped in this position for years without getting any better.

We've gone too far in to go halfway now. Not signing Hudler may end up causing Benning to make a desperation trade to fill our scoring needs. I don't wanna see that happen because we could end up seeing valuable young pieces (Gaunce and Subban) and picks dealt to fill that need. 

Hudler may not be a long term solution, but he's a low cost/low risk player that could definitely put us over the top for making the playoffs. He's a solid temporary stop gap until guys like Baertschi, Boeser, Granlund and Virtanen are ready to step up and make an impact offensively. 

I can see the logic there. But I don't know that getting bounced in the first round is super helpful either; but I don't mean in terms of experience. I think at best we're a bubble team right now who could sneak in depending on a lot of "what ifs" with our young players. Hudler would definitely help as he's a good complimentary player and he won't put up 70+ points again but another 40-something would be a welcome addition. I just wonder if Hudler pushes us a bit more firmly into the bubble spot, if that will motivate JB to make further moves to get us into the playoffs around the deadline. Even when all of us could see that there was no hope for last year's Canucks, he was still talking about the playoffs and the potential for acquiring players for the stretch drive that would have been pointless. (Presumably on orders from above.)

I just worry about the state of the ownership/management situation if perhaps the closer we get to the playoffs, the more willing we'll see the future sacrificed just so we can scrape our way into the first round. I'd love to see a playoff run, but I think it has to be done with our young players being major factors in that run or else ownership could see them as movable pawns for profit.

But maybe, like you said, that potential for a desperation trade is inevitable regardless of the outcome. In an ideal world, I agree with you, Hudler would be an ideal bridge player for our team. So I guess we just hope that he gets signed and management keeps their collective heads on straight.

fwiw McIntyre was on TSN1040 yesterday and doesn't think the Canucks have interest in Hudler but does think they'll add someone before camp - he talks of bargains to be had.  Not sure if he meant by trade or UFA given that Hudler is still the best option.

It's just the latest of him and Botchford taking opposite views. 

2 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I can see the logic there. But I don't know that getting bounced in the first round is super helpful either; but I don't mean in terms of experience. I think at best we're a bubble team right now who could sneak in depending on a lot of "what ifs" with our young players. Hudler would definitely help as he's a good complimentary player and he won't put up 70+ points again but another 40-something would be a welcome addition. I just wonder if Hudler pushes us a bit more firmly into the bubble spot, if that will motivate JB to make further moves to get us into the playoffs around the deadline. Even when all of us could see that there was no hope for last year's Canucks, he was still talking about the playoffs and the potential for acquiring players for the stretch drive that would have been pointless. (Presumably on orders from above.)

I just worry about the state of the ownership/management situation if perhaps the closer we get to the playoffs, the more willing we'll see the future sacrificed just so we can scrape our way into the first round. I'd love to see a playoff run, but I think it has to be done with our young players being major factors in that run or else ownership could see them as movable pawns for profit.

But maybe, like you said, that potential for a desperation trade is inevitable regardless of the outcome. In an ideal world, I agree with you, Hudler would be an ideal bridge player for our team. So I guess we just hope that he gets signed and management keeps their collective heads on straight.

Yea, I think Benning will fill a top 6 spot regardless so I'd rather us go the UFA route than give up assets.

It would be nice to add more skill to a lineup that severely lacked it last season. I think Hudler could really help the development of skilled guys like Baertschi, Granlund, and Rodin if they get a chance to play with him.

I agree it will be the young guys that need to lead us, but they're gonna need the support of veterans. A perfect scenario would see our young skilled guys forcing their way up the lineup during the season and having vets like Hudler fall down into a depth scoring role.

I don't wanna see the days of young skilled players playing with plugs like Glass, Sestito, and Prust anymore.

Yea, I think Benning will fill a top 6 spot regardless so I'd rather us go the UFA route than give up assets.

It would be nice to add more skill to a lineup that severely lacked it last season. I think Hudler could really help the development of skilled guys like Baertschi, Granlund, and Rodin if they get a chance to play with him.

I agree it will be the young guys that need to lead us, but they're gonna need the support of veterans. A perfect scenario would see our young skilled guys forcing their way up the lineup during the season and having vets like Hudler fall down into a depth scoring role.

I don't wanna see the days of young skilled players playing with plugs like Glass, Sestito, and Prust anymore.

I agree twofold. Hudler was positive for the development of Monahan & Gaudreau wasn't he? And also produced at a decent clip for Calgary. I remember when he first arrived in Calgary. Let loose he flexed his scoring muscles for the first time.

Threefold really. He's also from the Detroit system. He might be small. But had to play a strong two way game to make it through.

We could do a lot worse...

1 hour ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Back to Kane lol

please god no !!!        this just keeps going round and round !!    let it stop !!  lol  

I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas signed Hudler .  Just another chance for Gaglardi to stick it to his bestest friend Francesco .

2 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

please god no !!!        this just keeps going round and round !!    let it stop !!  lol  

I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas signed Hudler .  Just another chance for Gaglardi to stick it to his bestest friend Francesco .

I'd be worried about an owner that wants to get free agents just to "stick it" to another owner. I'd rather have the GM just make shrewd, and smart decisions, and build a winner. 

Canucks just keep getting rekt by the Stars lmao.

First the Hamhuis no deal/Russell trade, then they sign Hamhuis in the offseason, sign Cracknell, and now Hudler. 

...somewhere Gaglardi is laughing uncontrollably knowing he's taken the piss out of us :lol::lol: 

3 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Canucks just keep getting rekt by the Stars lmao.

First the Hamhuis no deal/Russell trade, then they sign Hamhuis in the offseason, sign Cracknell, and now Hudler. 

...somewhere Gaglardi is laughing uncontrollably knowing he's taken the piss out of us :lol::lol: 

Yeah they showed us... 3 players we could have easily signed already. One we tried to trade, one we waived and one that doesn't fit the description of the player the GM is looking to add. Has he taken the piss or the crap?

Archived