The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Stars sign F Jiri Hudler [1 year x $2M]

Crackers

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

I'd wager they'd be looking for a guy closer to his prime than the tail end of it, but you never know...

Yeah, Bishop makes a ton of sense, it would take some of the pressure of vasilevskiy and Bishop is right in the middle of his prime years.  It would depend on the asking prices and how high Ruff is on Miller from his time with him in Buf.

The thing with the stars is Benn's contract extension starts next year which is a 4 million increase.  The stars would need to dump both goalies contracts to afford Bishop where Miller's cap can come off the books. 

We will see how this season plays out.  A injury to a contending team and all of the sudden Miller as a rental looks appealing.  SJ, DAL, ANA, could be in the market for an experienced guy come February, all teams that I think Miller would be willing to go to.. 

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

We will see how this season plays out.  A injury to a contending team and all of the sudden Miller as a rental looks appealing.  SJ, DAL, ANA, could be in the market for an experienced guy come February, all teams that I think Miller would be willing to go to.. 

As a rental, absolutely. Here's hoping :)

16 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah, Bishop makes a ton of sense, it would take some of the pressure of vasilevskiy and Bishop is right in the middle of his prime years.  It would depend on the asking prices and how high Ruff is on Miller from his time with him in Buf.

The thing with the stars is Benn's contract extension starts next year which is a 4 million increase.  The stars would need to dump both goalies contracts to afford Bishop where Miller's cap can come off the books. 

Miller to Dallas?

Really?

Nill would rather chew somebody else's leg I am sure

8 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sharp, Hemsky and Oduya all expire after next season, 12.75 million - as do both Lehtonen and Niemi - 10.4 million more.

Spezza, Hamhuis, Hudler - not exactly spring chickens either.

In addition, aside from Honka (and Ritchie) I don't find Dallas' prospect pool particularly inspiring. 

Benn, Seguin and Klingberg (and Eakin) are young enough, but at this point I wouldn't project them to be a particularly strong club in a few seasons time, barring some really effective retool moves, or some real wins in free agency.   Hard to say who emerges from their prospect pool - you never know - but that's not one I'd want to be betting a great deal on - imo most of their talent is already graduating.

I wouldn't be surprised if they see the present as a window.   Could they afford a guy like Bishop in terms of the futures they'd have to give up?  I don't know - Tampa isn't hard up for young talent - they won't want volume - they'll want quality, and does Dallas have enough to part with?  They'd probably have to part with Honka if they have any hope of landing Bishop - and then the question becomes whether Dallas' goaltending or their blueline is the root of their problems?

A Miller deal may not be that far-fetched (if these teams didn't loathe each other lol).   That could potentially work from both Vancouver and Dallas' standpoint - Van adding a year of veteran backup/tandem whose cap they can afford (bridging them to the Markstrom Demko era) - and which would expire in line with the twins deals.  Dallas upgrades and frees up some of that 10+ million at the end of the season that they're spending on 2a and 2b goaltenders at this point.  But then they postpone the problem until next summer.

What would they be wiling to part with in addition to Niemi/Lehtonen to make it worth Vancouver's while?

I don't know, but if would be fun to dangle Miller and mess with them.  They've got to feel some pressure to move a goaltender and upgrade, but how many options do they truly have?  I'm gonna enjoy any sweat that results - or the high price they'll have to pay (a bite out of their future would be nice to see as well).

18 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

What are you guys talking about, massive head?

THIS is a massive head.

jiri-hudler-hockey-headshot-photo.jpg

I want to believe. But also, I don't think he'll be hitting the numbers he hit in recent times ever again, the guy is maybe 40-50pts with good teammates at this point.

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

Sharp, Hemsky and Oduya all expire after next season, 12.75 million - as do both Lehtonen and Niemi - 10.4 million more.

Spezza, Hamhuis, Hudler - not exactly spring chickens either.

In addition, aside from Honka (and Ritchie) I don't find Dallas' prospect pool particularly inspiring. 

Benn, Seguin and Klingberg (and Eakin) are young enough, but at this point I wouldn't project them to be a particularly strong club in a few seasons time, barring some really effective retool moves, or some real wins in free agency.   Hard to say who emerges from their prospect pool - you never know - but that's not one I'd want to be betting a great deal on - imo most of their talent is already graduating.

I wouldn't be surprised if they see the present as a window.   Could they afford a guy like Bishop in terms of the futures they'd have to give up?  I don't know - Tampa isn't hard up for young talent - they won't want volume - they'll want quality, and does Dallas have enough to part with?  They'd probably have to part with Honka if they have any hope of landing Bishop - and then the question becomes whether Dallas' goaltending or their blueline is the root of their problems?

A Miller deal may not be that far-fetched (if these teams didn't loathe each other lol).   That could potentially work from both Vancouver and Dallas' standpoint - Van adding a year of veteran backup/tandem whose cap they can afford (bridging them to the Markstrom Demko era) - and which would expire in line with the twins deals.  Dallas upgrades and frees up some of that 10+ million at the end of the season that they're spending on 2a and 2b goaltenders at this point.  But then they postpone the problem until next summer.

What would they be wiling to part with in addition to Niemi/Lehtonen to make it worth Vancouver's while?

I don't know, but if would be fun to dangle Miller and mess with them.  They've got to feel some pressure to move a goaltender and upgrade, but how many options do they truly have?  I'm gonna enjoy any sweat that results - or the high price they'll have to pay (a bite out of their future would be nice to see as well).

Well if it was just Miller going back, I would assume it would have to be something simple like just a pick.  Maybe a conditional deal like they made for Russell last year, a 2nd that becomes a 1st if… But if Dallas really wants to make a push, like you said they are going to need help on the back end.  Maybe we add more to the deal to bring more than just a pick back.  Come trade deadline, if Hutton, Tryamkin and Sbisa look solid on the left side, along with Juolevi in the system, perhaps we’d be willing to move Edler as well.  Make a deal around Miller + Edler for Niemi + Nichushkin + conditional pick.  There would probably have to be more on either side to make value and cap fit but that could be a foundation to start from. 

19 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Miller to Dallas?

Really?

Nill would rather chew somebody else's leg I am sure

Well if Dallas wants to upgrade their goaltending (which Nill has been rumoured to be in the market for) they really have two options.

Swing a deal for a goal that might get caught in the expansion process.  A goalie in his prime to help them compete in their current cup window. 

Goalies that fit this description would be; Fluery and Bishop

The pro’s about this is:

• They get a true #1 goalie to help push them over the top. 
  • They lock of their goaltending for the near future in the midst of the Seguin/Benn saga.

The con’s about this is:

• It will likely cost them a decent asset to acquire, if they pay a decent price they’d want to make sure this goalie would be more than a rental. 
  • The team they trade with will also have to be willing to take on a Lehtonen/Niemi cap hit (4.5-6) goalie going back for at least another year.
  • Even if they move one goalie they’d still have a ton of cap (over 10) locked up in goaltending for at least until the end of the 2017-18 season.  Benn’s extension (raise) starts next year, which would put them into some cap troubles.  We’ve seen what teams have to give up to get some cap relief.

The other option they have is to go after a rental goalie with experience to help either provide stability as a backup or push for the #1 spot. 

Basically that option is Miller

The pro’s about this is:

• It would cost less to acquire.
  • It would provide so confidents in the net for a playoff run.
  • They could dump the lesser of the two goalies they have taking their cap off the books for next season.
  • The rental would free up cap, in time for Benn’s extension to kick in. 

The con’s about this is:

• How much of an upgrade is Miller
  • What exactly would the cost be.
  • Miller is a short term option, would it just be worth it to pay the extra and lock up goaltending for long term.

Either way a deal with Dallas involving goaltending would have to be played out throughout the season.  Miller could stink the bed and Dallas could lose interest or vice versa.  Another team could have an injury and become in the market for a rental, making Millers cost go up and out of the range.  Another team could be willing to pay more for a goalie like Bishop.  Tampa might not be willing to take on extra cap of a goalie coming back. So could there be a deal in Dallas for goaltending and Miller.  I would say, yes and Dallas is likely one of Miller 5 teams he’d be willing to move to.   

On 8/24/2016 at 1:52 PM, DeNiro said:

Maybe the solution will end up being playing Eriksson on the second line. Right now I don't think we have a second line, or at least not a very good one.

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Sutter Eriksson

Might be a better balance to our offense rather than loading up the top line. Play Eriksson with the Sedins on the powerplay.

That makes sense but again we are not the coach and why I think Benning is working on a trade maybe including Edler or Tanev to get us a scoring winger we want.I would rather us keep what we have and do exactly that make the top two lines work for balance rather then load up cause we know the third will be good with baer and Horvat!!!

Archived