The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Stars sign F Jiri Hudler [1 year x $2M]

Crackers

17 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Yeah they showed us... 3 players we could have easily signed already. One we tried to trade, one we waived and one that doesn't fit the description of the player the GM is looking to add. Has he taken the piss or the crap?

Why do people get so sensitive lol, just accept the truth they got burned so stop pretending like they never or it wasn't a big deal. End of they day, Stars get the last laugh.

> Canucks are looking to add a 4C (why they wanted Vermette but lost out on him), Cracknell could've been that for us.

> Canucks are looking to add another middle/top 6 winger as per management saying numerous times since the draft (with multiple reports having said JB had interest in Jiri), Hudler could've been that for us.

> Canucks are looking to add another 2nd/3rd pairing dman but can't since there aren't any left in FA. The fact of the matter is Hamhuis wasn't able to stay because we have Sbisa and his terrible contract/salary so there's that.

...if you can honestly say the Canucks are better off without these guys, then I got nothing to say other than take off the homer glasses..

10 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Why do people get so sensitive lol, just accept the truth they got burned so stop pretending like they never or it wasn't a big deal. End of they day, Stars get the last laugh.

> Canucks are looking to add a 4C (why they wanted Vermette but lost out on him), Cracknell could've been that for us.

> Canucks are looking to add another middle/top 6 winger as per management saying numerous times since the draft (with multiple reports having said JB had interest in Jiri), Hudler could've been that for us.

> Canucks are looking to add another 2nd/3rd pairing dman but can't since there aren't any left in FA. The fact of the matter is Hamhuis wasn't able to stay because we have Sbisa and his terrible contract/salary so there's that.

...if you can honestly say the Canucks are better off without these guys, then I got nothing to say other than take off the homer glasses..

:lol:

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Man Dallas is going to be fun to watch this year. I thought they were a good team last year but they have the pieces to totally dominate this year. I might switch "MY TEAM" to the STARS. :lol:

Yes. A 34 year old winger with a massive head and a 33 year old defenseman who's best days are behind him are always the lynchpins in building a championship team.

2 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

Stars aren't going anywhere if Lehtonen doesn't step up his performance and their D still needs improving.

True.

All they need is one of Bishop/Fleury and they are set for a number of years. Young prime aged team that has it all. They have the organizational depth/assets to make a trade of that magnitude work too.

(Yes. A 34 year old winger with a massive head and a 33 year old defenseman who's best days are behind him are always the lynchpins in building a championship team. )

They are compliments to an ALREADY extremely competitive team. By the way, I see you mentioned the players ages, has this affected their play to date? What a weak excuse IMO.

23 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

One might argue that it is you who is having trouble letting go of the issue, but w/e.  :)

I liked Cracknell here. It wouldn't have hurt my feelings if he was re-signed by the Canucks. This being said, the team does have a number of up and coming guys who need to be exposed to the NHL, so I'm happier with the decision to give them that ice time.

Hudler did a pretty good job in Calgary. This does not mean that he would do the same job here. Also, as with the 4C position, I'm more about giving that ice time to younger players so the team can see what they have in these assets.

I like Hamhuis. I would have liked to see him re-signed. So who sits/plays in the AHL/gets waived in favour of having Hamhuis on the roster?

All three of these guys might indeed make the Canucks "better", at least in the short term. Longer view, I'm good with what the team has chosen to do.

regards,  G.

6 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

(Yes. A 34 year old winger with a massive head and a 33 year old defenseman who's best days are behind him are always the lynchpins in building a championship team. )

They are compliments to an ALREADY extremely competitive team. By the way, I see you mentioned the players ages, has this affected their play to date? What a weak excuse IMO.

Outside of Klingberg, how good is the defense? Really.

Dallas, while on the rise, still has deficiencies that weren't addressed in the offseason. And age matters in sports. The older you get, the harder it is to compete at the same level.

4 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

One might argue that it is you who is having trouble letting go of the issue, but w/e.  :)

I liked Cracknell here. It wouldn't have hurt my feelings if he was re-signed by the Canucks. This being said, the team does have a number of up and coming guys who need to be exposed to the NHL, so I'm happier with the decision to give them that ice time.

Hudler did a pretty good job in Calgary. This does not mean that he would do the same job here. Also, as with the 4C position, I'm more about giving that ice time to younger players so the team can see what they have in these assets.

I like Hamhuis. I would have liked to see him re-signed. So who sits/plays in the AHL/gets waived in favour of having Hamhuis on the roster?

All three of these guys might indeed make the Canucks "better", at least in the short term. Longer view, I'm good with what the team has chosen to do.

regards,  G.

True. Introduce youth to the rigors of the NHL, and let them establish chemistry as an emerging young core.

I would have been fine with Hamhuis retiring a Canuck, as well. Benning had other ideas. He wanted a younger defensive core to begin to take shape. I'm thinking he viewed Gudbranson as the type of player than could lead the defense, not necessarily by points, but more so by how to play.

Archived