The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Classic Console Emulation

SabreFan1

Retro gaming is a big hobby of mine.

I was just thinking and realizing that there are young people on CDC who weren't around when classic gaming emulators were made, there are emulators that emulate the old consoles that were made quite a number of years ago.  You can use USB gaming pads.  Using a keyboard and mouse for these kills the feeling of nostalgia.

Here's some links for you youngin's to check out:

Emulators:

http://www.emulator-zone.com/

ROMS (Free Games):

http://www.emuparadise.me/roms-isos-games.php

13 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

on April 1 my Nintendo emulator booted with a message that it was reporting my activity to Nintendo Co LTD

You downloaded a bad emulator.  I'd worry about a virus if I were you.

Emulators by themselves aren't illegal. 

Some ROMS though are in a gray/grey area, especially Nintendo's since they still monetize them.

30 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

on April 1 my Nintendo emulator booted with a message that it was reporting my activity to Nintendo Co LTD

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

April Fools!

Darnit!  I didn't put 2+2 together on the April 1 part of the reply. :lol:

I love emulators, especially for donkey kong on snes and n64 games (mario kart, etc.). I love the n64 games because they are so fun and they are only a few mb's to download. 

Do you have any recommendations for usb controllers? It's sometimes a bit awkward to play them with a keyboard. Classic snes games are not bad with a keyboard and i'm alright with mario kart for n64, but sometimes aren't very smooth to play with just a keyboard (goldeneye).

17 minutes ago, The Weasel said:

I love emulators, especially for donkey kong on snes and n64 games (mario kart, etc.). I love the n64 games because they are so fun and they are only a few mb's to download. 

Do you have any recommendations for usb controllers? It's sometimes a bit awkward to play them with a keyboard. Classic snes games are not bad with a keyboard and i'm alright with mario kart for n64, but sometimes aren't very smooth to play with just a keyboard (goldeneye).

If you still have the originals - http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=291daad7cc4d060f2f9a45eb166344a7

https://www.amazon.ca/BLACK-USB-Controller-Wired-Retro-Link/dp/B008L3UUPS - The only bad part about that is the missing weight from no Rumble/Memory pak, lol. - I needed one for WWF No Mercy/WCW NWO Revenge/Wrestlemania 2000 :P

I've got a couple of Retrolink Controllers and am quite happy with them. NES/N64/SNES.

As for the retro gaming - I recently bought one of these for my Old GBA SP and started binging on Metroid Fusion, Golden Sun,Pokemon Leaf Green, Advance Wars, DBZ Legacy of Goku and a bunch of others, haha.

256210-EZ4%20new%20on%20box.JPG.big.jpg

1 hour ago, The Weasel said:

Can't go wrong with a 360 controller. Sure they're not the cheapest, but they work with every console plus any PC/steam games.

Anything I emulate I already own, anyways. Just my HD TV won't run SNES.

Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3 (6), Breath of Fire 2, Super Mario RPG, Lufia 1/2, Illusion of Gaia and secret of Mana off the top of my head.

Also use a PSX Emulator (Espxe) that plays my old PS1 disks no problem and all works great with the 360 controller. Currently mucking about with Xenogears.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived