The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Coyotes hire 1st full-time female NHL coach

GLENDALE, Ariz. - The Arizona Coyotes have hired Dawn Braid as skating coach and say she is believed to be the first full-time female coach in NHL history.

Braid has a long association with the NHL.

She worked part-time for the Coyotes last year and has served as a skating consultant with the Toronto Maple Leafs, Anaheim Ducks, Buffalo Sabres, and Calgary Flames.

Braid also spent seven years with the Athletes Training Center as director of skating development. Among the skaters she worked with there is New York Islanders center John Tavares.

The hiring is the latest in a series of breakthroughs for women in men's sports.

Last year, the Buffalo Bills made Kathryn Smith the NFL's first full-time assistant coach. Smith is the team's quality control coach.

The NBA has had two female assistant coaches - Becky Hammon of the San Antonio Spurs and Nancy Lieberman of the Sacramento Kings.

A year ago, the Arizona Cardinals made Jen Welter the first woman to hold a coaching position of any kind in the NFL when she served as an intern in the preseason.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1085111

Is it possible that a woman assistant or head coach will ever be in the NHL? If so how long from now?

Personally I see it happening at some point, maybe not in the near near future but eventually. Women do play the game at a professional level and the principles of the game are the same although the men play more physical.

Who was the lady coach for our girl's 2002 in Salt Lake City?  We won the Gold on American soil, and the final against the US was terribly refereed.  It was clearly biased for the Americans, and our girls played much of the game short handed.  I thought that lady coach was amazing.  She never got upset, and stuck to coaching the team.  Her calmness seemed to spread to the girls, who played great.  

I thought that that lady coach was fabulous.  Do t all these top coaches know their stuff, but it's these little things (like this lady displayed) that make the difference?  Oh, and having better players than the other team helps too.

9 hours ago, JC2 said:

Is it possible that a woman assistant or head coach will ever be in the NHL? If so how long from now?

Personally I see it happening at some point, maybe not in the near near future but eventually. Women do play the game at a professional level and the principles of the game are the same although the men play more physical.

That's a good question and I'm not sure how successful most female head coaches would be trying to command a bunch of alpha males and the fact our society isn't there yet in sports. I suspect a lot of egos and feelings would be hurt. I honestly don't see why it could never happen in the long term though, if women's sports get more popular and female athletes get the respect they often deserve but don't get.

Edit: I also think women's sports is gaining popularity. I was watching women's soccer with far more interest than I've watched men's soccer just last year (they dive less!). Ronda Rousey comes to mind in the UFC as well, she was a massive draw as are some of the female matches I've seen recently.

Archived