The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which player is better?

50 minutes ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

Hey CDC I was kind of curious so I made this poll. I tried to put some hard ones so feel free to debate who's the better player. 

Edit: The stupid #%^* poll is glitching so lock er up I guess.

Learn to internet.....               or write a list down in the post and ask people to respond that way in their replies.

1 hour ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

Hey CDC I was kind of curious so I did this. I tried to put some hard ones so feel free to debate who's the better player. 

Benn or Ovechkin

Gostisbehere or Ekblad

Holtby or Schnieder 

Toews or Kopitar 

Subban or Doughty 

Equal

Ekblad

Schniederman 

Kopitar

Doughty

Benn > Ovechkin

It really depends on what you are asking. #8 has the better career by far, one which Benn is unlikely to even touch. But recency bias says that Benn has been the better player.

Ekblad > Ghost

Ghost had an amazing season but this is Ekblad for me here. He is the younger player with a more established resume.

Schneider > Holtby

Recency bias should say Holtby considering his Vezina win but to me the wins record holds much less value than it did to voters. I think the lack of a clear standout performer this year essentially handed Holtby the Vezina. Needless to say I think Schneider is the better and more consistent goaltender.

Kopitar > Toews

The tables turn so often in this debate that it's quite likely I will have Toews above Kopitar in a year or so. I think Kopitar has been the better performer as of late while Toews had a down season.

Doughty > Subban

I think this one is rather self-explanatory.

5 hours ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

Hey CDC I was kind of curious so I did this. I tried to put some hard ones so feel free to debate who's the better player. 

Benn or Ovechkin

Gostisbehere or Ekblad

Holtby or Schnieder 

Toews or Kopitar 

Subban or Doughty 

Benn or Ovechkin - Ovie wins this one due to his more game-breaking plays. Ovechkin is a one-man army, whereas Benn has a great surrounding offensive core. That said, I'd argue that this one is closer than many people would think. Benn has shown for two straight years now that he's among the best in the league.

Gostisbehere or Ekblad - Ekblad, but this one too needs explaining. Ekblad has two years under his belt whereas Gostisbehere has only one (full one). This most recent year, Gostisbehere was by far the better offensive player, but Ekblad offers a much more complete package and is less likely to peter out after a few years.

Holtby or Schneider - I was coming into this prepared to say Holtby, but Schneider's actually got to take the cake here. About even GAA and better save percentages in the last two years on a far worse team. Ironically enough, Schneider is basically New Jersey's version of Florida's Luongo. Great goaltender on a terrible team.

Toews or Kopitar - Toews. Better at everything.

Subban or Doughty - Subban. Here's where I go against the grain. I've crunched the numbers for the last couple of years and Doughty has underwhelmed in both years whereas Subban has been among top d-men in both years. Doughty has a lot of experience at a high level which helps during times like the playoffs, but if we're looking at skill set and performance, Subban takes the cake for me.

20 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Benn or Ovechkin - Ovie wins this one due to his more game-breaking plays. Ovechkin is a one-man army, whereas Benn has a great surrounding offensive core. That said, I'd argue that this one is closer than many people would think. Benn has shown for two straight years now that he's among the best in the league.

Gostisbehere or Ekblad - Ekblad, but this one too needs explaining. Ekblad has two years under his belt whereas Gostisbehere has only one (full one). This most recent year, Gostisbehere was by far the better offensive player, but Ekblad offers a much more complete package and is less likely to peter out after a few years.

Holtby or Schneider - I was coming into this prepared to say Holtby, but Schneider's actually got to take the cake here. About even GAA and better save percentages in the last two years on a far worse team. Ironically enough, Schneider is basically New Jersey's version of Florida's Luongo. Great goaltender on a terrible team.

Toews or Kopitar - Toews. Better at everything.

Subban or Doughty - Subban. Here's where I go against the grain. I've crunched the numbers for the last couple of years and Doughty has underwhelmed in both years whereas Subban has been among top d-men in both years. Doughty has a lot of experience at a high level which helps during times like the playoffs, but if we're looking at skill set and performance, Subban takes the cake for me.

Good explaining. But how is Florida a terrible team when they finished 1st in the Atlantic last year?

Ovechkin. While both have been great, and highly offensive, ovi is a clutch goal scorer who thrives on that and every team is always looking for those few extra goals to put them on top. Also, Ovi in the last few years has been able to add a defensive element to his game without really sacrificing offense. He's still a face of the NHL and a one man wrecking crew. Benn won the Art Ross two years ago, but when Tyler Seguin went down in the stretch the Stars fell out of contention and to me this says something about his ability to carry the team.

Ekblad. Better all around d. Shane had a phenomenal year as a rookie, and was integral to the Flyers after he started producing, but with Gudbranson gone in Florida, their top minute eating stay at home D, I think management is showing that they're prepared to give Ekblad more responsibility for his all around great play. All this being said, sample size is very small and time will tell.

Schneider. Holtby's been making a case for himself for a few years now, even a couple years ago when Washington was struggling, however, I think Schneider is one of the most technically sound and capable goalies in the NHL. He's been pretty great on a terrible Devils' team and gives them a chance to win every night. Holtby deserves his accolades but I think Schneider is the best goalie in the NHL with the exception of Carey Price (who not only gives his team a chance to win every night, but made a really, really crappy Habs team look like the real deal two years ago).

Toews. I guess this one might be the most subjective, but I'd build my team around Toews over anyone else in the NHL any day. This guy is not a top scorer but he's the best leader in the NHL and he carries a team on his back like nobody else. Frankly, this guy makes everyone else around him better. Can't say one bad thing about Kopitar though. L.A. is definitely his team now and they're winners.

Doughty. I don't even think that Subban should be said in the same breath as any of the rest of these all stars. His assets are that he puts up points and really raises his game in the playoffs (and a great personality), but these are not enough to make him comparable given his defensive play and other aspects of the game.

Ovie (Benn will never score 500, probably not even 400 goals)

Equal

Holtby - glad he is finally getting his due, close though

Kopitar - The love affair with the league and Toews will never end though...

Subban - Doughty is the most overrated, lucky (if Weber scored two in the Olympics it would be ho-hum, but when Doughty does it ...well they still talk about it ) he literally stole the Norris from Karlsson this year...if he played for LA his plus minus would be in the high 30's low 40's AND he would he would have challenged for league scoring title...what he does year in year out is just amazing.  In the high scoring 70-80's his totals would have rivaled Orr's and Coffeys, and he is the only player other than those guys to be in the top ten in scoring twice... Doughty sucks.  Subban drives the play/possession better than him, and gets more points.

OK.  I admit that I am not Doughty's biggest fan, although I was one before the league decided he was the best thing since sliced bread in 2014...rolls out of bed at one, baby fat and all, Dorito's on his shirt, skips the gym and shower, rolls into the rink after an afternoon of vid's and more Dorito's (pre-game snack of champions) bed-head still there after napping in the limo...put's his skates on and plays 45 minutes and makes it look easy - then beer nacho's, rinse, repeat.  He's like Keith but doesn't run marathons for fun....which...just isn't fair, both players are likely cyborgs or aliens.  Plus we see way too much of him and he is part of the luckiest (and most boring) Stanley Cup champions of all-time...still, if he was a Canuck I would probably join the Doughty is "just so amazing, heals people with his toothless smiles and turns lead into gold!" bandwaggon and declare this Brad Park of our time finally gets his due  blah blah blah...

On 8/25/2016 at 3:04 AM, ajhockey said:

formance, Subban takes the cake for me.

Terrible team?  Beat out Tampa for first in their division...and are looking incredibly good after their GM likely did the most to improve their team in the off-season.   Florida is a team on the rise, and some even have them as a decent shot to challenge the East for a spot in the final this year.

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

Terrible team?  Beat out Tampa for first in their division...and are looking incredibly good after their GM likely did the most to improve their team in the off-season.   Florida is a team on the rise, and some even have them as a decent shot to challenge the East for a spot in the final this year.

Luongo was a star on Florida during the dead puck era when they were brutally bad. This is what I meant.

42 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Luongo was a star on Florida during the dead puck era when they were brutally bad. This is what I meant.

Whoops.  Got it. I 100% agree to both the star player and that they were brutally bad...and would have been much, much worse without Luongo who faced 40+ shots a game on a regular basis (with highlight reel after highlight reel of saves)and kept things close (kinda like what Schneider is doing now in NJ, but with much worse players infront of him).   To say the least I was stoked when we traded for him (and what we gave up too) the Linden trade just kept on giving.

Archived