The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

World Cup of Hockey -- Positive or Negative for Canucks

shoeyj86

On 8/25/2016 at 9:35 AM, shoeyj86 said:

Pro 4:
This to me has the potential to be biggest positive as far as this tournament is concerned and that is Luca Sbisa being part of team Europe. I will be watching his game very closely, as I think this could do wonders for him as a player and our team. He gets a lot of hate (at times from myself included), but it is not always so deserved. This tournament does a couple things if he as a good showing. First, obviously it could allow him to surpass Hutton in the top 4 on the left side because he has an opportunity to have a very strong start to the season. Secondly, if he has a strong tournament it could make him a very viable trading asset, not just a throw in like I've seen many times before. 

This last pro was the 1st thing that came to my mind actually.  Twins, Honey Badger and Eriksson will be fine (Hansen pretty much gets star line-mates if he can play in the top-9; Tatar, Kopitar, Niederreiter, Zuccarello, Draisaitl, Hossa, Boedker, and I think he can be a better option than Vanek or Gaborik at this time in their careers.  Hope he can have a hot start to his season as a result of his tournament).

Markstrom might have the better chance of improving, individually speaking, if he trained, but as the #2 behind King Hank I wouldn't be surprised if he got at least a game or two in which could only help as he's facing good players.  As well, I don't think these athletes would pass on an opportunity to represent their country (correct me if I'm wrong and guys are doing that).

Hopefully what you say about Luca comes true, and he can solidify his spot on the left side.  Worst thing that can happen is either he busts and management can deal quickly with a declining asset (put Hutton and Tree/ Andrey in the roster as people have been penciling the kids in already), while best case scenario he proves his value as a full-fledged top-4 D-man, creating internal competition that allows the team to trade one of him/ Hutton/ Edler for a top-6 forward that fans have been hoping for.    

7 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

You've never watched a world cup or Canada Cup before? Comparing it to an all star game is laughable.

In terms of its pointlessness, it's tied with the ASG. There is no reason to stage it. Besides $$$$$$.

On 8/27/2016 at 9:17 PM, groovy said:

Really???  World class hockey is a negative? Seems like a great opportunity to showcase the best players on earth and provide some preseason excitement. What`s not to like, other than the obvious injury potential which is universal? Will be interesting to see what the young guns can do. Hope I can catch the matches here in Europe. Guess you`ll be out fishing or bowling.

I'll be in Vacation all month of Sept so I won't be able to watch it regardless I am interested or not.

I'd rather watch the regular season. And my understanding the World Cup is supposed to be players representing their countries no Team Europe, Team North America, Team Africa, Team Asia-Pacific etc that alone makes the whole thing a joke. It's also obvious this NHL sanctioned tournament was setup to prevent participating the Olympics denying players from competing for their country and winning an Olympic medal and denying fans and spectators from witnessing world class hockey in the Olympics.

Actually its the fact that this whole event is a ploy to not participate in the Olympics is what bugs me. Now I know the IOC is no saint (sine we know the IOC has it's shares of scandals and corruption charges) but this event shows the NHL's extra mile to avoid having their players participate in the Olympics.

And what pisses me off the most on a personal level is because the Olympics is being held in South Korea. I am sorry since when did the location play a factor in participating due to inconvenience? As a hockey fan born, raised, and living in Asia (mostly) the idea of the best NHL Players playing a place that is practically my backyard ( it's a 4 hour flight to Korea from where I'm from) is quite exciting. I am planning and considering attending the Olympics this year to check out the NHL Players play their guts out like what I've seen in the Sochi and Vancouver games (provided I will still be in Asia and not get transferred for work). 

But when the NHL thinks that the region is an afterthought or when they think fans like me aren't important enough hockey fans to have their players participate in the Olympics games in Korea it becomes pretty personal. I'm sorry if the NHL considering not participating the Olympics due to the host nation is a slap in the face to us hockey fans in Asia, the world cup of hockey is almost like a middle finger.

On 2016-08-28 at 4:56 PM, iinatcc said:

I'll be in Vacation all month of Sept so I won't be able to watch it regardless I am interested or not.

I'd rather watch the regular season. And my understanding the World Cup is supposed to be players representing their countries no Team Europe, Team North America, Team Africa, Team Asia-Pacific etc that alone makes the whole thing a joke. It's also obvious this NHL sanctioned tournament was setup to prevent participating the Olympics denying players from competing for their country and winning an Olympic medal and denying fans and spectators from witnessing world class hockey in the Olympics.

Actually its the fact that this whole event is a ploy to not participate in the Olympics is what bugs me. Now I know the IOC is no saint (sine we know the IOC has it's shares of scandals and corruption charges) but this event shows the NHL's extra mile to avoid having their players participate in the Olympics.

And what pisses me off the most on a personal level is because the Olympics is being held in South Korea. I am sorry since when did the location play a factor in participating due to inconvenience? As a hockey fan born, raised, and living in Asia (mostly) the idea of the best NHL Players playing a place that is practically my backyard ( it's a 4 hour flight to Korea from where I'm from) is quite exciting. I am planning and considering attending the Olympics this year to check out the NHL Players play their guts out like what I've seen in the Sochi and Vancouver games (provided I will still be in Asia and not get transferred for work). 

But when the NHL thinks that the region is an afterthought or when they think fans like me aren't important enough hockey fans to have their players participate in the Olympics games in Korea it becomes pretty personal. I'm sorry if the NHL considering not participating the Olympics due to the host nation is a slap in the face to us hockey fans in Asia, the world cup of hockey is almost like a middle finger.

Wow! That is obviously personal. Sorry you take it that way. That aside, reporters in Sweden are billing this as the most competitive hockey tourney EVER, due to the setup where every team is competitive. I tend to agree.  Regardless of NHL or Olympic "corruption" I am happy to (hope to) see competitive hockey at the highest level, full stop. Let`s face it, the "good old days" (where a33holes like Eagleson were filling there pockets) are gone. cèst la vie. Bring it on!

Archived