The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Hiring) Avs hire Jared Bednar as new head coach

jono2009

Green is saved for another day.  I don't know why I want green coaching so bad.  If we didn't have green I'd be all for keeping Wille.

But knowing green is there ready and waiting makes me want to dive all in for him.  I think if Wille is let go there's a good chance he will get picked up by another team for his team building and success at every past level.

Green might get swept up next season if Willie does well though. Hard to fire Willie if the team makes the post season especially if we advance to round 2.

I wouldn't be shocked if we find out later that the Canucks didn't actually give the Avs permission to speak with Green. I heard the Canucks didn't give the Flames permission to speak with Green, though they let Gulutzan speak with the Flames (obviously). Green's good to have in the fold because if Desjardins really sh!ts the bed this season, they can can him (he's at the end of his deal anyways), and replace him with Green seamlessly (with one of Jason King or Nolan Baumgartner taking over the reigns of Utica midseason and possibly onwards). I still think Travis Green will be a Canucks head coach in the next year or two.

Also, this hiring should kill all the Matt Duchene and Gabriel Landskog trade talk for now.

1 hour ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

He has an excellent resume, won the AHL championship last year with Lake Erie.  I didn't actually know that until moments ago when I went all Google on him.  He played over 10 years of hockey, none in the NHL, did Super Joe just take a risk on an NHL rookie?

Don't the experienced NHL coache's have to be paid more than a rookie?  Maybe these rookie coaches are a sign of a team needing to save their pennies?  Would Columbus have hired Torts if we weren't paying his salary, or most of it?  Would we have hired an experienced NHL coach if we weren't paying the Torts salary?  I accept a coach at some point must be a rookie.

Are fans overly worried about Green moving for nothing? There was a lot of coaching changes this offseason, I didn't hear that he was shortlisted at all. Remember our current coach won a Calder Cup and Green just was a Calder Cup finalist. 

I'm happy he's staying. But maybe the Media has made a bigger deal of it than it really is? 

Archived