The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Rangers sign F Brandon Pirri [1 year x $1.1M]

6 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I would be very surprised if the Canucks make the playoffs next year without help from other teams underperforming or being drilled by injuries.

I just don't see where the goals will come from from the forwards and especially the d.

Sutter has never hit the 50 point mark in his career.

He is a third liner unless proven otherwise.

This team has too many question marks no one on the d core outside of Elder and Hutton can be safely expected to put up 30  points.

Really? You are playing down a Canucks team riddled by injuries in the last TWO seasons (one of which they made the playoffs with 101 points) and then telling someone else we will only make the playoffs if the others teams underperform or they are drilled with injuries.

That is the kind of crappy logic I expect from the Vancouver media. You have, it seems such a p-ss poor opinion of the Canucks, maybe you should find another team.

7 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I would be very surprised if the Canucks make the playoffs next year without help from other teams underperforming or being drilled by injuries.

I just don't see where the goals will come from from the forwards and especially the d.

Sutter has never hit the 50 point mark in his career.

He is a third liner unless proven otherwise.

This team has too many question marks no one on the d core outside of Elder and Hutton can be safely expected to put up 30  points.

Really? You are running down a Canucks team riddled by injuries in the last TWO seasons (one of which they made the playoffs with 101 points) and then telling someone else we will only make the playoffs if the others teams underperform or they are drilled with injuries.

That is the kind of crappy logic I expect from the Vancouver media. You have, it seems such a p-ss poor opinion of the Canucks, maybe you should find another team.

21 hours ago, riffraff said:

Base on precedent I would find it tough to argue against Louis quality.  My only concern is concussion history, being new to the west game in game out and still not really sold on the contract in general.

You can't like the player and not the contract, unless you prefer dreaming to watching a guy play on our team.  That's reality; you aren't gonna land the big fish and the hot deal.

1 hour ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

You can't like the player and not the contract, unless you prefer dreaming to watching a guy play on our team.  That's reality; you aren't gonna land the big fish and the hot deal.

Don't tell me what I can and can't do.:P

so we all live burrows and his contract right now and for the last couple years?

pretty sure many here are separating the two.

I think your pushing it big time with your statement.  Besides I didn't say I liked the player.  I said I won't argue against his talent but I have my concerns about a couple other issues.  Seems reasonable to not feel so assured that his contract is justified no?

At the very you have provided no reasons why anyone should like the contract and the player.  You simply said "you can't like one and not the other". The truth is, and if we still use burrows as an example, at least we know what we are getting from burrows on this team, with his line mates, within this division, with no prior concussion issues.

all that can be said of lui is: he's a talented player who looked good with the twins on large ice.

We all liked bobby lu.

"my contract sucks"

- Roberto Luongo

Dan Hamhuis signing here says hi.

9 hours ago, riffraff said:

Don't tell me what I can and can't do.:P

so we all live burrows and his contract right now and for the last couple years?

pretty sure many here are separating the two.

I think your pushing it big time with your statement.  Besides I didn't say I liked the player.  I said I won't argue against his talent but I have my concerns about a couple other issues.  Seems reasonable to not feel so assured that his contract is justified no?

At the very you have provided no reasons why anyone should like the contract and the player.  You simply said "you can't like one and not the other". The truth is, and if we still use burrows as an example, at least we know what we are getting from burrows on this team, with his line mates, within this division, with no prior concussion issues.

all that can be said of lui is: he's a talented player who looked good with the twins on large ice.

We all liked bobby lu.

"my contract sucks"

- Roberto Luongo

Dan Hamhuis signing here says hi.

It's like saying, "yeah, I'd like a Cadillac, but I'm not going to pay 50k for it".  That's what they cost.  We got the big UFA, but a lot of people want to have the cake and eat it too.  Around July 1st you hear a lot of, "love the player, hate the deal", as though it was somehow going to go any other way.  What I meant was, if we are landing a top UFA, we have to live with the pricetag.

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, I just meant that you can't have it both ways.  You can't say, "it's great we brought in the player, but couldn't we get a discount?"  Yeah, discounts have happened in the past, but in general there is a paradox in wanting a hot UFA on a hot deal.  I guess Calgary got that this year, so maybe it's not crazy to hold out for that.

I know that's not what you were saying but I was commenting on that paradox, because a lot of people assumed that we were going to somehow land the guy on a 3 or 4 year term.   

1 hour ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

It's like saying, "yeah, I'd like a Cadillac, but I'm not going to pay 50k for it".  That's what they cost.  We got the big UFA, but a lot of people want to have the cake and eat it too.  Around July 1st you hear a lot of, "love the player, hate the deal", as though it was somehow going to go any other way.  What I meant was, if we are landing a top UFA, we have to live with the pricetag.

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, I just meant that you can't have it both ways.  You can't say, "it's great we brought in the player, but couldn't we get a discount?"  Yeah, discounts have happened in the past, but in general there is a paradox in wanting a hot UFA on a hot deal.  I guess Calgary got that this year, so maybe it's not crazy to hold out for that.

I know that's not what you were saying but I was commenting on that paradox, because a lot of people assumed that we were going to somehow land the guy on a 3 or 4 year term.   

Yes I understand what you're saying. The majority of the spitballing in here involves ridiculous trade scenarios and fa signing dreams.

at the end of the day the player is signed based on what the gm feels is worth paying to meet the needs of the team and as some believe, to satisfy ownership demands.  My point is that as fans and even as others employed in hockey it is reasonable to to question the value and term associated with a contract.

two camps here the way I see it at times: anti JB and never satisfied.  And JB is God and can do no wrong.

imo we won't know what if what JB has done is good or bad for the team for a few years.  The most we as fans can do is express opinion on what may be seen as reasonable/sensible moves, or the contrary.

at the very least we have been witness to some interesting contract and signing situations over the years.  Good entertainment.

On 8/27/2016 at 0:37 AM, Chip Kelly said:

They struck out on Hudler, Gagner, Pirri pretty much every single guy they have targeted.

What do you know about who they targeted?   Listen to too much 1130?

No great losses - those are all market leftovers that couldn't command more than a year of term at show me cap hits.

All soft players.   CDC really trying too hard for some drama when these are the 'losses' that'll keep the team down.

17 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Really? You are running down a Canucks team riddled by injuries in the last TWO seasons (one of which they made the playoffs with 101 points) and then telling someone else we will only make the playoffs if the others teams underperform or they are drilled with injuries.

When have the Canucks ever been healthy fully? The d gets ravaged every year going back to 2010 which is why the Canucks wanted to add Keith Ballard for depth and know each year they will be playing 10 or 11 d men in NHL games this year.

Sedins are getting older and have seen their previous invincibility when it comes to injuries show cracks.

Not their fault but at their age and the punishment they take on a nightly basis it is hard to expect them to be a one line team like the last few years and still make the playoffs with Hank and Danny carrying the team like always.

Even if they make the playoffs next year they will probably run out of gas in the first round. I'm being realistic.

22 hours ago, cripplereh said:

yes but lets say we get over 20 goals from Sutter which he does every year,baer and horvat are better,our D group will be bigger and faster meaning teams will have a harder time to score and most games last year we were in till the end meaning this year we will be better so i see us fighting for a spot.

Sounds like a lot of things need to go right just to get in the dance. Once the Canucks get there good luck winning a round.

I'm not saying it absolutely won't or can't happen just saying imo it is highly unlikely on paper. That's why they okay the games though let's just take it a game at a time and sew where we are deadline day time?

yes but that is like every team needs things to go right to make it,just our injuries were worse then most teams,if that does not happen and with new players we should be right in the mix and if people do not think so they should cheer for another team!

Archived