The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's missing top 6 forward, who is he?

By sea and land

We've all heard that Benning wants and has been trying to acquire a top 6 forward.  He's made calls to teams in an attempt to land him via trade.  They've combed the free agency list and perhaps will send out some PTO's.

Can we find this player in house?  I don't think so.  I believe Trader Jim would like to pull the trigger again.

The New York Rangers dipped into free agency today and landed Pirri.  He's a winger with decent size.  The Rangers have a lot of forwards right now and they apparently want Dmen.  Is this Pirri signing a signal that they may be getting ready for a trade?  Maybe, maybe not.

Personally I've been eyeing Chris Kreider for some time; after Benning made it public they'd like a 2nd line LW.  Kreider was about to go to arbitration which can be tricky and sometimes lead to a trade.  He signed for 4 years at appprox $18m, $4.625 annual cap hit.

We the Canucks have plenty of Dmen suddenly.  Could there be an opportunity here?  Would Rangers be interested in anyone not named Tanev, Gudbransen or Juolevi?  I'm not sure.  I don't think we can move Tanev and if that's who they want then I'd hang up.  Hutton is a guy they'd probably target.  I love Hutton and wouldn't want him to go.  But again, Kreider is 6'3, fast, heavy, skilled and a prototypical 2nd line LW.  Could Juolevi supplant Hutton if not this year, maybe next?  

I think the Canucks have the piece or pieces to land a Chris Kreider type.  Heck, I prefer Drouin but the signing of Pirri today got me thinking that NYR might be planning something.

Maybe this is all one big waste of breath but any way you slice it, it's fun talking hockey again and can't wait for training camp.  Go Canucks.

Love Benning and co....

6 minutes ago, By sea and land said:

We've all heard that Benning wants and has been trying to acquire a top 6 forward.  He's made calls to teams in an attempt to land him via trade.  They've combed the free agency list and perhaps will send out some PTO's.

Can we find this player in house?  I don't think so.  I believe Trader Jim would like to pull the trigger again.

The New York Rangers dipped into free agency today and landed Pirri.  He's a winger with decent size.  The Rangers have a lot of forwards right now and they apparently want Dmen.  Is this Pirri signing a signal that they may be getting ready for a trade?  Maybe, maybe not.

Personally I've been eyeing Chris Kreider for some time; after Benning made it public they'd like a 2nd line LW.  Kreider was about to go to arbitration which can be tricky and sometimes lead to a trade.  He signed for 4 years at appprox $18m, $4.625 annual cap hit.

We the Canucks have plenty of Dmen suddenly.  Could there be an opportunity here?  Would Rangers be interested in anyone not named Tanev, Gudbransen or Juolevi?  I'm not sure.  I don't think we can move Tanev and if that's who they want then I'd hang up.  Hutton is a guy they'd probably target.  I love Hutton and wouldn't want him to go.  But again, Kreider is 6'3, fast, heavy, skilled and a prototypical 2nd line LW.  Could Juolevi supplant Hutton if not this year, maybe next?  

I think the Canucks have the piece or pieces to land a Chris Kreider type.  Heck, I prefer Drouin but the signing of Pirri today got me thinking that NYR might be planning something.

Maybe this is all one big waste of breath but any way you slice it, it's fun talking hockey again and can't wait for training camp.  Go Canucks.

Love Benning and co....

Kreider is a third line guy.  We don't need him.  We need a top six, young forward with ELITE skill.  That's certainly not Kreider.  

5 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Every team wants that.

Exactly.  And where do we get him, if not with a very high pick, or by getting extremely lucky with a later pick?  That's why I'm not for KK.  He's another Hansen, but and overpaid one.

Nischuskin.

Markstrom + 2017 2nd for Nischuskin and Lehtonens contract.

Lehtonens signed for two more years. He's had a bad couple of years stats wise but I attribute that to dallas awful defense. He can mentor Demko next year.

7 minutes ago, Oliewud said:

Nischuskin.

Markstrom + 2017 2nd for Nischuskin and Lehtonens contract.

Lehtonens signed for two more years. He's had a bad couple of years stats wise but I attribute that to dallas awful defense. He can mentor Demko next year.

Why not Miller instead of markstrom?

hes Ruffs old go to guy in buff??

Just now, Yukoncanuck87 said:

Why not Miller instead of markstrom?

hes Ruffs old go to guy in buff??

Because that doesn't make sense for Dallas. Markstrom addresses their goaltending situation for years to come because he's younger and more cap friendly at 3.6.

1 minute ago, Oliewud said:

Because that doesn't make sense for Dallas. Markstrom addresses their goaltending situation for years to come because he's younger and more cap friendly at 3.6.

Still seems to early, this is more of a preseason trade.

when we can see what are actual needs are there's gonna be a lot of surprises this year. And in a good way I might add. But I don't disagree with you just think it's to soon for a trade like this.

30 minutes ago, By sea and land said:

Personally I've been eyeing Chris Kreider for some time; after Benning made it public they'd like a 2nd line LW.  Kreider was about to go to arbitration which can be tricky and sometimes lead to a trade.  He signed for 4 years at appprox $18m, $4.625 annual cap hit.....

Interesting comments. Here are some responses.

1. Obviously we are not going to be finding top 6 forwards as PTOs.

2. While I am impressed with Benning's draft picks and acquisitions of prospects, his trades involving NHL players and his UFA signings make me nervous. I would be worried about losing another trade if he goes this route. At best we give up someone good to get someone good. And, while Krieder would help the team, wingers are the easiest positions to fill. 

3. Kreider is a solid player who has been scoring at a legitimate second line level and has size and strength and speed. But his salary is not cheap. I would say it is market value -- certainly no bargain.

4. I would hate to give up a good D-man (Tanev) or a combination of good young players and draft picks for Kreider.

I want Benning to focus on what he is good at -- bringing in good young players who can be part of a Cup contending team down the road. No more quick fixes please.

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kreider is a third line guy.  We don't need him.  We need a top six, young forward with ELITE skill.  That's certainly not Kreider.  

Normally when a guy consistently produces at a top 6 rate (0.5 points per game), he's considered a top 6 forward.

58 minutes ago, By sea and land said:

I'd be as surprised by NY trading Kreider as i was FLA letting Gudbranson go.  Read an article on Kreider not too long ago and the guy is apparently another Sedin- just an animal off the ice in terms of working out

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He is a better and more established 2nd line player than Baertschi.  On our roster he gets more than the 15 minutes per game he is getting as a Ranger and he also gets PP time... that will likely push him to 25 goals or more and 50+ points.  Pretty solid 2nd line production.

He is also young too, I would absolutely like him in our lineup.  He and Baertschi can battle it out for 2nd and 3rd line spots. for the foreseeable future.... maybe even one of them turns into a top line player.

At the price of Tanev, no thanks.  You don't get better by filling one hole by creating an even bigger one.  I was all for us going after Subban and giving up Tanev as you are improving our D by a long shot by adding scoring... but we don't have another guy waiting in the wings to be a top pairing RD.

If the package was Sbisa + a 2nd round + a bottom end roster player (Etem, Biega, Pedan, Gaunce) I would do that deal since you are getting a young guy who is under contract for several years in return and in a position where we need help.  I am sure they don't do that deal though.

A Kreider-Sutter-Virtanen line in it's prime is not too shabby, especially when the other bigger forwards in the division are getting long in the tooth.

I wouldn't write off our prospects so quickly.

Between Baertschi, Etem, Gaunce, Virtanen, Granlund, who's to say there are no top 6 wingers there?

Pirri is a wildcard - and he's 183 lbs (not exactly "decent size" - and not exactly a gritty winger), so I wouldn't expect him to be pencilled into the Rangers lineup anywhere - he'll have to earn minutes, and he's anything but a shoe in.

I'd just as soon sign a young guy like Lucas Lessio - let him compete for a bottom six spot - push one of our in-house guys up a line - and have the additional depth for Utica.

I don't see Kreider as all that realistic - unless you're parting with a higher end asset.

If we're dealing with the NYR, I'd be more inclined to offer a depth defenseman and target a quality young tweener like Fast.

Pedan, pick for Fast.  Lots of options for us to have a player that can earn their way onto the 2nd line - and incentive / a space open to do so.

One other point is that Benning has talked about the need for the 2nd line LW with grit pretty much every interview all summer.

It really highlights their low expectation for Burrows next season if they don't see him being able to take on a top 9 role (assuming the 2nd and 3rd lines will be pretty balanced).  There is every possibility that Burrows will bounce back and be able to fill that LW role and with WD's history of not wanting to overplay young guys (a reasonable distrust considering the debacle last season when injuries forced him to), I can absolutely see Burrows on the 2nd line and hitting 20+ goals and 40+ points on top of taking on the 1st unit PK duties.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Burrows-Sutter-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Etem-Granlund-Rodin

Dorsett-Gaunce

Archived