The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Lochte charged with false report of robbery by Rio police

oldnews

By Mauricio Savarese The Associated Press

RIO DE JANEIRO – Brazilian police charged American swimmer Ryan Lochte on Thursday with filing a false robbery report over an incident during the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

A police statement said Lochte would be informed in the United States so he could decide whether to introduce a defence in Brazil.

The indictment will also be sent to the International Olympic Committee’s ethics commission, the statement said.

READ MORE: Ryan Lochte says ‘immature behaviour’ got him into mess

Lochte initially said that he and fellow swimmers Jack Conger, Gunnar Bentz and Jimmy Feigen were robbed at gunpoint in a taxi by men with a police badge as they returned to the Olympic Village from a party Aug. 15. However, security video suggested the four actually faced security guards after vandalizing a gas station restroom.

Lochte left Brazil shortly after the incident. Three days later, local authorities took Conger and Bentz off an airliner heading to the United States so they could be questioned about the robbery claim. They were later allowed to leave Brazil, as was Feigen, after he gave testimony. Feigen, who initially stood by Lochte’s testimony, was not charged.

Lochte has since acknowledged that he was highly intoxicated and that his behaviour led to the confrontation. It is not clear from the video whether a gun was ever pointed to the athletes.

Under Brazilian law, the penalty for falsely filing a crime report carries a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison. Lochte could be tried in absentia if he didn’t return to face the charge.

The United States and Brazil have an extradition treaty dating back to the 1960s, but Brazil has a long history of not extraditing its own citizens to other nations and U.S. authorities could take the same stance if Lochte is found guilty.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2904439/ryan-lochte-charged-with-false-report-of-robbery-by-rio-police/

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

By Mauricio Savarese The Associated Press

RIO DE JANEIRO – Brazilian police charged American swimmer Ryan Lochte on Thursday with filing a false robbery report over an incident during the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

A police statement said Lochte would be informed in the United States so he could decide whether to introduce a defence in Brazil.

The indictment will also be sent to the International Olympic Committee’s ethics commission, the statement said.

READ MORE: Ryan Lochte says ‘immature behaviour’ got him into mess

Lochte initially said that he and fellow swimmers Jack Conger, Gunnar Bentz and Jimmy Feigen were robbed at gunpoint in a taxi by men with a police badge as they returned to the Olympic Village from a party Aug. 15. However, security video suggested the four actually faced security guards after vandalizing a gas station restroom.

Lochte left Brazil shortly after the incident. Three days later, local authorities took Conger and Bentz off an airliner heading to the United States so they could be questioned about the robbery claim. They were later allowed to leave Brazil, as was Feigen, after he gave testimony. Feigen, who initially stood by Lochte’s testimony, was not charged.

Lochte has since acknowledged that he was highly intoxicated and that his behaviour led to the confrontation. It is not clear from the video whether a gun was ever pointed to the athletes.

Under Brazilian law, the penalty for falsely filing a crime report carries a maximum penalty of 18 months in prison. Lochte could be tried in absentia if he didn’t return to face the charge.

The United States and Brazil have an extradition treaty dating back to the 1960s, but Brazil has a long history of not extraditing its own citizens to other nations and U.S. authorities could take the same stance if Lochte is found guilty.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2904439/ryan-lochte-charged-with-false-report-of-robbery-by-rio-police/

As much as the guy is a complete tool and an entitled shmuck..he has paid a pretty high price for his foolisness already..with losing all his endorsements and the embarrassment ..along with the fall from grace...I wouldnt wish jail time in Brazil on him.

4 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

As much as the guy is a complete tool and an entitled shmuck..he has paid a pretty high price for his foolisness already..with losing all his endorsements and the embarrassment ..along with the fall from grace...I wouldnt wish jail time in Brazil on him.

He'll never serve time in a Brazilian jail - there's literally no chance of that.

At the same time,his "apology" undoubtedly did not help him at all -  essentially attempts to stick to his story and overall considered disingenuous.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/20/sports/olympics/ryan-lochte-apology-rio-olympics.html?_r=0

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

He'll never serve time in a Brazilian jail - there's literally no chance of that.

At the same time,his "apology" undoubtedly did not help him at all -  essentially attempts to stick to his story and overall considered disingenuous.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/20/sports/olympics/ryan-lochte-apology-rio-olympics.html?_r=0

yeah,,his apology was pretty weak...there is also no way he will go back to Brazil to be tried...so its all moot...lets move on...I get a kick out of Brazil being so butt hurt now considering their record of mugging, robbing and beating tourists.

I should add.. Im not in the least sticking up for that POS Lochte.

I definitely think he deserves the charges....yet I don't think he should go to jail. He was a drunken jackass, damaged property and then told a ridiculous lie to try and cover it up. Yes I think he should be punished; which has and will happen both monetarily, professionally and socially, but in the end he's a moron who damaged things, not other people. 

Okay, Brazil, enough is enough. Nobody died, people got paid, the authorties got to be indignant on a world stage, Lochte was dropped by all of his major sponsors, life goes on. In whose interest is it to pursue charges aginst Lochte? Nobody that I can see.

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Okay, Brazil, enough is enough. Nobody died, people got paid, the authorties got to be indignant on a world stage, Lochte was dropped by all of his major sponsors, life goes on. In whose interest is it to pursue charges aginst Lochte? Nobody that I can see.

I get the general sentiment - but I don't think that soft soap that is going to sell.   Ah, poor "kid" (people seem to be under the false impression this isn't a 32 yr old) lost some sponsors (and gained a couple others).

The problem - Lochte hasn't given them a single reason why they shouldn't pursue charges.

1) the incident itself - vandalizing and urinating on a business.

2) the story - that men with police badges held a gun to his head and robbed him

3) flees the country promptly

4) repeats his stories to international and American news.

5) issues an "apology" that pretty much makes a victim of himself and maintains his story.

I think this last aspect may be what sealed their pursuit of charges - the apology could be seen as a disingenuous insult.

In addition to the contradiction of reporting a crime, wasting resources investigating it - he then protested the extent to which the truth was pursued.  That's pretty audacious, but hey, what about this isn't?

So perhaps the question could be re-stated - "why shouldn't the Brazilian police pursue charges?"

What exactly has Lochte done to make amends on any level?

In whose interest is it to pursue charges?

Could it be in the interests of every other American citizen that travels internationally?

The response from Americans in general:

1)  What an idiot

2)  Thanks for refreshing the image of the ugly American internationally.

I have to wonder - do the American authorities really want a soft soap example set that only breeds more contempt and resentment towards their nationals - and could actually make things worse for the average American traveller?

I highly doubt there is anyone at any level that seriously believes or sees the end result of this being Lochte serving any sentence, and certainly not in a Brazilian prison.

On the other hand, what end does entirely soft soaping it serve?  

I think they're going to make him fully sweat it out.  At least until he sincerely owns it.

I suspect the last impression either side's authorities want to give is to be enabling an entitled train wreck like him.  That sets a weak precedent.  Offering complete leniency despite the fact he's given literally no reason not to pursue charges...just puts it on the general American tab.  Gotta wonder how keen they are to do so.

One of the enjoyable things about these Olympics where the Americans were concerned:

Some of the truly classy, likable US athletes took home gold - people like Ashton Eaton, Jack Sock, Maya DiRado...

The worst failures fell to the likes of Serena Williams, Hope Solo, Ryan Lochte....

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

In whose interest is it to pursue charges?

Could it be in the interests of every other American citizen that travels internationally?

Yes, and every travellling American will be sick with worry for the their own safety until Ryan Lochte is finally brought to justice for petty vandalism and lying. I really think you are attaching far too much importance on the boorish actions of a spoiled, entitled adult. Yes, Lochte unthinkingly displays the stereotypical behaviour of the privileged American drinking and behaving badly, but will shaming him and fining him accomplish anything other than, well, shaming and fining him?

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

One of the enjoyable things about these Olympics where the Americans were concerned:

Some of the truly classy, likable US athletes took home gold - people like Ashton Eaton, Jack Sock, Maya DiRado...

The worst failures fell to the likes of Serena Williams, Hope Solo, Ryan Lochte....

Goes to show the results of brainwashing a nation that is slipping down the charts in education and filling them with the we're #1 and we're so free crap. Creating stupid-confident people and it's showing up globally for the rest of the world to watch. It's really amusing and impressive.

11 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Ah yea so because he is an athlete falsely reporting a crime shouldn't have any punishment what so ever. I don't care about his sponsors or how the world sees him. He should be treated like anyone would who falsely reports a crime. He does not get special treatment because he is "wealthy". 

Archived