The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Things that annoy you.

Rate this topic

numb3r 16

4 hours ago, brilac said:

The smoke detector is sort of fixed.  I spoke with the leasing manager when he came in at 10am.  I was there waiting for him.  He explained that smoke detectors going off all night are technically not an emergency issue, and it's up to the on-call person if they want to come out or not.  I advised oh yes it is!  When you have 14 ft ceilings with the smoke detector pinned to the ceiling with nothing to stop it - no ladder, etc, no sleep, and this was affecting the neighbors as well.  

Came to be, this was not a battery issue, this was an older smoke detector that was not replaced, and it was going bad.  The manager disconnected it, and has another smoke detector on a ledge seperating the kitchen and bedroom.

I re-explained again, and that this cannot happen again.  I asked about a ladder and what I can do if this was to happen again.  I was advised that there is no ladder for tennant use. So if this happens again, they have to fix it, but there is a reset button, and I can take a broom, and press the button using the stick of the broom, but that what not the case, it was the smoke detector going bad.

If my neighbors have this issue with their smoke detectors, oh boy I am going to be calling the after hours maintenance ad well, and making sure others do it too.

I would call the fire department the next time it goes off and every time thereafter.

38 minutes ago, 112 said:

I would call the fire department the next time it goes off and every time thereafter.

Oh no, this was due to a bad smoke detector.  The other one was not doing it.  I knew last night due to the number of beeps and pattern it was going off.  It would stop for a while and then go, and the person on-call yesterday thought it was due to a slow battery.  

I'm a bad cook.  I know very well when the smoke detector goes off due to smoke/bad cooking. That's why the stove and oven have not been used in months.  

I have the maintenance supervisor coming over on Monday to hook up the new smoke detector to the ceiling instead of where it is at now, on the ledge, but I may schedule a time instead for me to be there.  I want to make sure everything is taken care of.  

People are lazy jerks.

I went to Uptown Mall on the weekend.  They have underground parking there.  I parked on the same level as Walmart.  Rather than taking their shopping cart to the cart corral, some customers abandon their carts in various places around the parking area.  I'm sure you have seen this kind of behaviour.  In this particular case, someone left their cart in front of a pillar.  Then someone parked their cart with the first cart.  Then someone parked their cart with the first two carts.  And so on.  By the time I encountered it, there was a train of eight or so carts, completely blocking a Rav4 in its parking spot.  It was a handicap parking spot.

Now I get that Walmart should have more staff to collect their carts.  But that in now way excuses people from blocking in some guy's car.  He's parking in a handicap spot for a reason.  How did they think he was going to move a train of eight carts from blocking his vehicle?  The cart corral was maybe 50 feet away.

This irritates me on another level as well.  Many years ago, in a snow storm in Kelowna, I lost my side mirror from my car due to an abandoned cart.  I'm confident many other CDCers have had damage to their vehicles due to abandoned carts.  It drives me crazy that people think nothing of leaving them wherever.

People, don't be so $&#ing lazy.  Take your carts to the appropriate cart drop off location.

• Upvote 1

So I was excited to wear my black Sub Pop sunglasses today.  I put them on, and the sides are too big on me across, falling off if I tilt my head down.  My head is too small for them.  'm a little disappointed.  I wonder if the red ones are the same?.

36 minutes ago, brilac said:

So I was excited to wear my black Sub Pop sunglasses today.  I put them on, and the sides are too big on me across, falling off if I tilt my head down.  My head is too small for them.  'm a little disappointed.  I wonder if the red ones are the same?.

Are the sides not bendable?