The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

POTENTIAL MEDICAL EMERGENCY!!!

Bruce Boudreau

Guys I just ate one of those long Hot Dogs you buy that come in those packs with the Kirkland brand from Costco without cooking it!!!

I took one out of the fridge and put it on extremly low heat but I got distracted and started playing around on my phone and watching tv.

When I got back I just turned off the stove and put in a bun and started eating. Half way through eating I realized that something tasted a little weird and the hot dog felt softer than normal and taste a bit different.

Then it hit me that I just ate almost a footlong Costco Hot Dog without it being cooked. I looked online and the smaller Oscar Meyer Hot Dogs are apparently ok to eat cold but I couldn't find anything about the side affects of eating a Costco Hot Dog cold.

Has this happened to anyone else? What should I do guys?

I am worried I will have to go to the hospital for food poisoning. :(

Hopefully it's just a minor diarrhea or indigestion.

15 minutes ago, Tystick said:

I'm no expert but I think you'll be okay. 

The bacteria that gives you food poisoning grows from long exposure to room temperature.

How low was the heat? And how long it was in the oven?

This^^. You will most likely be fine, but yes, it is possible to get sick off of raw hotdogs. This happens at barbecues a lot when people bring out the meat and let it since while the grill heats up, then do not cook it thoroughly. 

I hope you don't get food poisoning. I've had it once and that was more than enough. I felt like I was dying :( But it'll pass within hours (literally and figuratively).

Thanks for the help guys. So far I am feeling ok nothing but a minor stomache ache and hopefully I wake up tomorrow and can eat normally.

I tend to stay away from pre cooked meats or just meat in general because I am afraid of cooking it myself and getting sick ie food posioning, ecoli etc.

Last time I got food posioning was when I was little a long time ago and didn't know about internal food temperature and heated up the Chef Boyardee Ravioli on the stove.

That experience was a nightmare I $&!#ted till my asshole hurt and my parents stayed up the whole night while I vomitted and $&!#ted and lost so much fluid I had to go to emergency and have an I.V the next day.

That was the first time I stayed up more than 24 hours at a young age and I have never wanted to eat Ravioli from that canned fatass chef since.

I thought you accidentally drank bleach or something

you'll be fine. I wouldn't sweat on it. If anything weird happens, inform your doctor. 

I buy those pre-cooked wieners. And then boil it. Eat them from the package too, nothing wrong has happened to me.

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

I thought you accidentally drank bleach or something

you'll be fine. I wouldn't sweat on it. If anything weird happens, inform your doctor. 

I buy those pre-cooked wieners. And then boil it.

It was a Costco hot dog those ones they sell from the Kirkland brand that are almost footlong size.

i don't think they are really pre cooked that well though.

3 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

It was a Costco hot dog those ones they sell from the Kirkland brand that are almost footlong size.

Meh. I'm not the biggest fan of hot dogs. I eat them probably 3 times in like a year or something like that. I eat chicken/turkey bologna though and it's yum.

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Meh. I'm not the biggest fan of hot dogs. I eat them probably 3 times in like a year or something like that. I eat chicken/turkey bologna though and it's yum.

As a young kid I used to them every couple of weeks pretty regularly. As I have grown up and learned about the bad meats and salt and additives in pre cooked meats I have tended to avoid them.

I literally didn't eat the whole day and was starving and when you are hungry you do not think rationally.:picard:

Archived