The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Army Prospect Rankings

Ossi Vaananen

I just noticed CanucksArmy is doing their annual rankings before the season starts. They're already at no. 5, so I guess not many have been paying attention. 

I'm creating this thread as a means of discussing their rankings, and what qualifies as a prospect. I won't link their stuff, as that somehow qualifies as click bait on here, but feel free to check out their site for yourself. 

---------------

So far:

20 - F Michael Carcone   (signed this summer out of prospect camp)

19 - D Ashton Sautner   (Signed last summer out of prospect camp, got a one game call up with the Canucks this past season)

18 - F Alex Grenier

17 - F Lukas Jasek   (6th Round 2015)

16 - D Carl Neill

15 - F Cole Cassels

14 - D Troy Stecher

13 - F Adam Gaudette

12 - D Cole Candella   (5th round 2016)

11 - D Guillaume Brisebois 

10 - F Dmitry Zhukenov

9 - D Tate Olson

8 - D Andrey Pedan

7 - D Jordan Subban

6 - F Brendan Gaunce

5 - D Nikita Tryamkin

TBA:

------------------

I would have liked to see Stecher and Gaudette in the top 10 ahead of Zhukenov and Olson. They're further along and Gaudette's freshman campaign is nothing to sneeze at. 

For me a notable exemption is Lockwood - either he doesn't rank or is in the top 4....

Does Virtanen qualify as a prospect?

Just now, Toews said:

The top four will be Juolevi, Demko, Boeser and Virtanen. #spoiler

But in what order good sir?

Maybe Virtanen no longer qualifies as a prospect as he made the big club. Then they throw us all a curve ball and slot Lockwood in there. It's beacause of these mind games that I made this thread. 

Just now, Ossi Vaananen said:

But in what order good sir?

Maybe Virtanen no longer qualifies as a prospect as he made the big club. Then they throw us all a curve ball and slot Lockwood in there. It's beacause of these mind games that I made this thread. 

I would go all in on Virtanen still being a prospect. My best guess is him being 4th. Lockwood doesn't have the gaudy numbers needed to be placed that high. One would have to watch him a fair bit and be seriously impressed with what they saw to place him that high. 

Pretty hard to see Zhukenov at 10 when his sample size is fairly small considering that other guys such as Grenier and Cassels have been playing in the AHL and have had equal if not significantly better comparable years in junior.

I'd put Zhuk in the 17-20 range for now.

2 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I just noticed CanucksArmy is doing their annual rankings before the season starts. They're already at no. 5, so I guess not many have been paying attention. 

I'm creating this thread as a means of discussing their rankings, and what qualifies as a prospect. I won't link their stuff, as that somehow qualifies as click bait on here, but feel free to check out their site for yourself. 

---------------

So far:

20 - F Michael Carcone   (signed this summer out of prospect camp)

19 - D Ashton Sautner   (Signed last summer out of prospect camp, got a one game call up with the Canucks this past season)

18 - F Alex Grenier

17 - F Lukas Jasek   (6th Round 2015)

16 - D Carl Neill

15 - F Cole Cassels

14 - D Troy Stecher

13 - F Adam Gaudette

12 - D Cole Candella   (5th round 2016)

11 - D Guillaume Brisebois 

10 - F Dmitry Zhukenov

9 - D Tate Olson

8 - D Andrey Pedan

7 - D Jordan Subban

6 - F Brendan Gaunce

5 - D Nikita Tryamkin

TBA:

------------------

I would have liked to see Stecher and Gaudette in the top 10 ahead of Zhukenov and Olson. They're further along and Gaudette's freshman campaign is nothing to sneeze at. 

For me a notable exemption is Lockwood - either he doesn't rank or is in the top 4....

Does Virtanen qualify as a prospect?

MCKenzie Stewert will be in the top 4...kidding..what happened there,,he doesnt even rate a number ?

41 minutes ago, wshdrvvn said:

Virtanen wont be in the list; no longer an NHL rookie. The top 4 will be:

4. Rodin

3. Juolevi

2. Demko

1. Boeser

getting the exact order will be tough. Rodin will for sure be 4th though. 

I hadn't considered Rodin, as he would essentially be a 26 y/o rookie. I'm with you on Virtanen though, not someone who should be considered a prospect. Of the 3 we know, I'd go:

3. Boeser

2. Juolevi
1. Demko

I think Demko is a beast and his college numbers last year are out of this world. 

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I was just spitballing. I don't think Virtanen should be considered a prospect, and we need another name to fill that void. Perhaps supplant your own top 4?

I agree with you that Virtanen shouldn't be a prospect anymore since he played his 1st year in pro already. But if he is not i really don't see how that top 4 could work without him unless there is someone we are greatly overlooking. 

4. Jake Virtanen

3. Olli Juolevi

2. Brock Boeser

1. Thatcher Demko

And is Rodin really still considered a prospect?

Edit:

Without Virtanen

4. Michael Garteig

3. Olli Juolevi

2. Brock Boeser

1. Thatcher Demko

4 Boeser  - great season on a stacked team.  Can he follow it up without all the support? 

3 Demko - big difference between college shooters and seasoned pros, we'll see how he does in Utica. 

2 Virt - already showed he belongs in the pros.  Doubling his pts & PIM's wouldn't be unrealistic. 

1 Juolevi - most sought after commodity in the NHL right now is an all-situations, young,  PMD and he is one of the best in the CHL!

Archived