The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Edmonton signs D Matt Benning [2 year ELC]

MJDDawg

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

GMs inquire and talk to many FAs and agents, it's simple due diligence.  Canucks could have talked to dozens of players and agents, as does any team.  Not to mention we don't know the relative levels of interest.  This isn't Pokemon -- no team is going to get every player they have any interest in.

Of course not, but if I was interested in signing my relative and missed out, I'd feel more than a little sheepish about it.

1 hour ago, shadowgoon said:

Seems to be a common theme this off season. Canucks interested in X player, player shortly after signs with a club rival. The only instance where this wasn't the case, was Eriksson, as we likely paid more in dollars and term over what everyone else was willing to pay.

Personally, we have tons of depth right now, and we need to ensure that we don't saturate our ranks with too much in order to let those already here have a chance to shine. So long as we add depth each year, we'll be good for the future.

This would only be a problem if we were the only or primary team in the mix for those free agents, we were very interested in signing them to the point of making significant offers, and/or they were sought after and would help us.

I'm not to worried about the likes of Hudler, Pirri, Benning, etc., and in fact I'm glad we were at least asking (as we were with Stamkos, Subban, etc. as well) even if we aren't serious suitors.

14 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

this guy will be a minimal impact player in the nhl. Don't get your panties in a knot cdc

You can't know that for sure.  With the league's teams increasingly utilizing all 4 lines, he could become a bottom 2 line staple.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Could be an awkward Christmas dinner in the Benning household this year. It's not surprising that players want to jump on the McDavid wagon. I disliked EDM when they had Gretzky, and dislike them now that they have McDavid. EDM has been a very very lucky franchise with practically being gifted Gretzky and receiving all of those high picks over the last decade.

Over the last 10 years the Oilers have received 9 Top-10 picks. Four of those picks were #1s.

I'm just hoping there's a team out there that can stop them in 5 years.

Two words  -Salary Cap

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

I am sure he looked at both teams defence depth and thought he had a better shot at Edmonton.  We have a ton of D. 

Not surprised.

He may end up regretting it.  He's going to spend a year or two in the AHL and once he's out, Edmonton will most likely have drawn in 2 or 3 more quality d-men.

14 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

He may end up regretting it.  He's going to spend a year or two in the AHL and once he's out, Edmonton will most likely have drawn in 2 or 3 more quality d-men.

He'd spend 2 years in Utica as well

Just now, Stelar said:

He'd spend 2 years in Utica as well

He would, but the Oilers are going to recruit top quality d-men (because of McDavid) that the Canucks won't be able to.  He should have signed with a different team.  He would at least have a better chance making it to the NHL even with the Canucks.

17 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Two words  -Salary Cap

That is a very good point I missed. But still nice to be able to build your team around McDavid. He will be expensive though, probably eventually the highest paid player in the league.  

Good for him....they need defensive prospects thats for sure and knowing Edmonton he's probably already penciled in on the big club this year. ...sarcasm... In all fairness he'd be a long shot to ever make it here since amazingly. ..I cant believe Im saying this but our defensive pool is looking great. And it wouldn't be easy for the kid to be brought here by family...that never usually works out.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Could be an awkward Christmas dinner in the Benning household this year. It's not surprising that players want to jump on the McDavid wagon. I disliked EDM when they had Gretzky, and dislike them now that they have McDavid. EDM has been a very very lucky franchise with practically being gifted Gretzky and receiving all of those high picks over the last decade.

Over the last 10 years the Oilers have received 9 Top-10 picks. Four of those picks were #1s.

I'm just hoping there's a team out there that can stop them in 5 years.

Exactly, I would want to play on that team. Not their coach, but the team. The Oilers are going places. 

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

You can't know that for sure.  With the league's teams increasingly utilizing all 4 lines, he could become a bottom 2 line staple.

Don't mean to pick on you SF, but you most certainly can't know that.

Because Benning is a defenseman.  he won't be touching any of the "4 lines" nor a "bottom line staple".

The real reason a player in this situation would go to Edmonton imo (aside from signing in his hometown) - he has Mark Fayne and Brandon Davidson standing in his way of taking a spot on the Coil blueline.  Both decent D, Davidson pretty promising, but I could see Fayne not remaining a fixture there, and on the way on the right side, it's pretty much Ethan Bear to compete with (another prospect I like).

Tanev, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Larsen, Stecher, Subban.

With the Canucks looking for a right handed pmd to emerge (and the third pairing being the spot they'll likely fit in) - and already having options like Sbisa and Tryamkin on their third pairing (and Tanev and Gudbranson locking down 1 and 2 for a long time) - with Larsen, Stecher and Subban auditioning for future offensive RHD roles, the road to an NHL blueline is probably an easier one in Edmonton (which wadr to them, their depth is shallower) - and ends in playing with McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl, Eberle, JPul....  Here he'd be one of 4 or 5 guys fighting for that 3rd pairing R side spot.  (Didn't mention Pedan because he's a left side option - as will be Juolevi, who could wind up pushing another LHD (Sbisa or Tryamkin) to the right side in due course.

I didn't really expect him to sign in Vancouver.  It would have been a 'for uncle JB' situation as opposed to what is likely his best career choice.  Wouldn't be surprised if GMJB didn't push him hard, but simply gave him the option and increased the demand for him (any extra 100k of cap you can force a division opponent to spend, you do so, especially when it's Chiarelli lol).   

I like the player though.  Won't be surprised if he winds up their 7th man relatively soon and cracks that lineup in due course.

4 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Is it odd if I take this as somewhat of a relief?

The onslaught we would get for signing JB's nephew.. 

I look at it the other way. Pretty sad benning couldn't even convince his family we have something going good here. Or well enough to sign for a million bucks lol. 

Archived