The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Edmonton signs D Matt Benning [2 year ELC]

MJDDawg

3 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

You can't know that for sure.  With the league's teams increasingly utilizing all 4 lines, he could become a bottom 2 line staple.

Sure I could see that, but that isn't something which is hard to find wouldn't you think

5 hours ago, shadowgoon said:

Seems to be a common theme this off season. Canucks interested in X player, player shortly after signs with a club rival. The only instance where this wasn't the case, was Eriksson, as we likely paid more in dollars and term over what everyone else was willing to pay.

Personally, we have tons of depth right now, and we need to ensure that we don't saturate our ranks with too much in order to let those already here have a chance to shine. So long as we add depth each year, we'll be good for the future.

Couldn't be the environment benning/ownership have created here over the past two seasons. Turmoil is s tough sell.

He'd be in a dogfight to even make the NHL with us but he's got a pretty good shot at cracking Edmonton. Which says something about Edmonton's depth on D. No skin off our noses anyway, we've got more deserving prospects in our system already.

3 hours ago, Madness said:

Not gonna lie. It's pretty funny that Benning couldn't sign his newphew. 

1 hour ago, Gooseberries said:

I look at it the other way. Pretty sad benning couldn't even convince his family we have something going good here. Or well enough to sign for a million bucks lol. 

I don't see how it is funny/embarrassing that JB can't sign Matt Benning given that his father lives in Edmonton. Surely his father would take precedence over his uncle.

i don't know why everyone thinks it is a big deal that benning could not sign his nephew

i would prefer to not work for any of my uncles

i'd rather work for someone else if all other things are equal

maybe his nephew feels the same way

working for family is not such a great thing in my view

Problem with Edmonton is that they have a bunch of future-NHLers and not as many current ones.

If they can package an Eberle or Yakupov with someone who hasn't gotten a fair shake, say.. Griffin Reinhart.. they could probably get back a nice top 4 D. Trouba anyone?

Yak had great numbers beside McDavid. He could easily replace the older Eberle on the first line. 

Lucic - McDavid - Yakupov

Pouliot - RNH - Kassian

Maroon - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi

Hendricks - Letestu - Lander

Klefbom - Larssen

Sekera - Trouba

Nurse - Fayne

that's a decent roster.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Don't mean to pick on you SF, but you most certainly can't know that.

Because Benning is a defenseman.  he won't be touching any of the "4 lines" nor a "bottom line staple".

The real reason a player in this situation would go to Edmonton imo (aside from signing in his hometown) - he has Mark Fayne and Brandon Davidson standing in his way of taking a spot on the Coil blueline.  Both decent D, Davidson pretty promising, but I could see Fayne not remaining a fixture there, and on the way on the right side, it's pretty much Ethan Bear to compete with (another prospect I like).

Tanev, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Larsen, Stecher, Subban.

With the Canucks looking for a right handed pmd to emerge (and the third pairing being the spot they'll likely fit in) - and already having options like Sbisa and Tryamkin on their third pairing (and Tanev and Gudbranson locking down 1 and 2 for a long time) - with Larsen, Stecher and Subban auditioning for future offensive RHD roles, the road to an NHL blueline is probably an easier one in Edmonton (which wadr to them, their depth is shallower) - and ends in playing with McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl, Eberle, JPul....  Here he'd be one of 4 or 5 guys fighting for that 3rd pairing R side spot.  (Didn't mention Pedan because he's a left side option - as will be Juolevi, who could wind up pushing another LHD (Sbisa or Tryamkin) to the right side in due course.

I didn't really expect him to sign in Vancouver.  It would have been a 'for uncle JB' situation as opposed to what is likely his best career choice.  Wouldn't be surprised if GMJB didn't push him hard, but simply gave him the option and increased the demand for him (any extra 100k of cap you can force a division opponent to spend, you do so, especially when it's Chiarelli lol).   

I like the player though.  Won't be surprised if he winds up their 7th man relatively soon and cracks that lineup in due course.

Of course I can't know that.  I thought Chad Ruhwedel (d-man) was going to do well out of college and eventually make the Sabres roster.  I called that wrong by a mile.

I may have said "lines", but you know that I meant the back-end pairings.  I read the article just fine.

I think that Edmonton was a poor choice since they are going to attract stronger players over the next 2 years that he's most likely going to be in the AHL.  If I were in his shoes and had to pick between the two teams, I would have chosen Vancouver.  He would have a better chance.

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

Sure I could see that, but that isn't something which is hard to find wouldn't you think

The thing is, bring in as many young players who you believe have a shot as you can.  The more you have, the better your chances of getting a quality player.

Benning is GM because he knows talent.  Anybody that he is interested in, he has to seal the deal.  You don't want to see him having to settle for his second and third choices.

20 minutes ago, insomniac604 said:

Problem with Edmonton is that they have a bunch of future-NHLers and not as many current ones.

If they can package an Eberle or Yakupov with someone who hasn't gotten a fair shake, say.. Griffin Reinhart.. they could probably get back a nice top 4 D. Trouba anyone?

The Jets would have zero use for Eberle or Yakupov. They have Laine and Wheeler penciled in as the top RW, followed by Stafford and Dano. Neither of Deadmonton's right wingers have any right being on the Jets.

As for Reinhart? The guy is garbage. Apart from the Jets, the only other team I follow as closely is the Islanders. There was a reason they were quick to dump Reinhart. He's made a habit of showing up to camp out of shape and hasn't been able to keep up to the quickness of the NHL. While the Oilers needed to gamble on a defenseman, they made the wrong one with Reinhart. So the Jets would have zero need for him.

If the Oilers were to get Trouba, they would have to part with Draisaitl +, considering they are dealing from a position of weakness and are trading within Conference.

Im not sure why bloodlines are relevant for a player that will probably be relatively invisible on a an already weak Coilers D . 

I wish him the best , though his best will probably be less than average . 

Edmonton has an amazing group of forwards , and a pretty lame d that will have a hard time getting them the puck . 

Good luck oilers 

9 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Seems like alot of the prospects want to sign with EDM cuz of Connor Mcdavid prob 

Wish we had our own version of Mcdavid sighh :/ 

OR that they have 0 depth and the best chance to make the NHL quickly.

10 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Oh good grief...   His own nephew.  That's a bit embarrassing.

For goodness sake, we have a high level scout qualified, GM leading us, not a family liaison and Christmas party organiser. 

Did it ever occur to you JB might not want to put pressure on the boy or that he may feel he is well covered in that area?

6th round pick, scored 56 points in three years in College, projected by scouts who have followed him as a third pairing guy, not a point producer but plays a physical game but is only 6' 200 pounds. 

Looks to me like he is a borderline NHL'er at best.  Nothing to see here. Good luck to him but there is no loss here in not signing him. We have LOTS of D in the pipeline with better credentials than Benning has.

47 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

6th round pick, scored 56 points in three years in College, projected by scouts who have followed him as a third pairing guy, not a point producer but plays a physical game but is only 6' 200 pounds. 

Looks to me like he is a borderline NHL'er at best.  Nothing to see here. Good luck to him but there is no loss here in not signing him. We have LOTS of D in the pipeline with better credentials than Benning has.

stop harvey , just stop ...    Logic has no place here !!!

Archived